The Old Vicarage
US$98
US$95
US$42
  • Restaurant
All reviewswedding venuewedding breakfastfour poster bedwine listwedding receptionlambfriendly hotelcoach housemain buildingcannot faultshropshire countrysideevening mealone night stayfantastic valuewaiting staffa wonderful stayconservatory dining room
Reviewed 29 July 2013 via mobile

This hotel is perfect in every way.  My new wife and I celebrated our wedding at the Old Vicarage Hotel and it was perfect.  The bedrooms were clean and comfortable, the food was delicious and best of all, the accommodating helpful staff could not do enough for not just myself and my wife, but everyone of our guests.  Weddings are supposed to be memorable occasions and thanks to Daniel, Sarah and the whole team it was.  I would encourage any couples looking for a wedding venue to give the Old Vicarage a try, the staff make this hotel a truly wonderful place.

• Stayed: May 2013
OldVicarageHotel, General Manager at The Old Vicarage, responded to this reviewResponded 1 August 2013

Thank you for such a wonderful review. It’s lovely to hear how much you enjoyed your special day and I have relayed your kind words to all staff members. Once again thank you for choosing our hotel. On behalf of everybody at the Old Vicarage Hotel I would like to wish you both all the best with married life and I look forward to seeing you again soon.

Daniel Richards

Reviewed 16 July 2013

We stayed there recently after making a reservation with booking.com. The service from booking.com was very efficient. Unfortunately the hotel didn't stick to their promises. The hotel restaurant wasn't available as there was a wedding reception using it, we were also at one point asked to leave the bar area as it was being used by the wedding party. On questioning the manager he told us to use the pub down the road and we should be aware the bar and restaurant were not available as it was printed on our booking.com confirmation - it actually wasn't.
The hotel is in a great location with really nice grounds, if they had a change of attitude and brought the rooms a little more updated then it would be a really nice place, until then I would avoid it.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
5  Thank Rob D
OldVicarageHotel, General Manager at The Old Vicarage, responded to this reviewResponded 17 July 2013

Thank you for your review, I take all comments constructively to ensure that the hotel learns and continues to improve.

However with this review I do struggle to accept some of the comments, we personally had chat in the bar where you said that you were moving into the area and would be using the hotel, quite strange as you have now described it as a place to “avoid”. Why did you not mention your gripes, especially as you now seem so inclined to do so.

You are quite right about the main restaurant being shut for a private function, the hotel has a small side restaurant called the Garden Suite which was available for residents wishing to dine, due to restrictions with numbers this has to be pre booked on booking, this is clearly stated on the booking confirmation, as you did not pre book, this facility was not available to you.

I would also like to point out to readers of this review, that if you take the time to read all other reviews customer service is the main point in which the hotel and the staff are praised. Interesting to hear that we now have a poor attitude towards our customers.

We are a small, quirky, family run country house hotel, the bedrooms are decorated to fit in with the style of the building. They are traditional, but not tired. A search on the internet would also show that they are very competitively priced.

Reviewed 22 June 2013 via mobile

We stayed here on Thursday night for a very special wedding . The welcome on arrival was friendly and the hotel inside and out was wonderful .
The wedding breakfast was very good quality and the cooked to order breakfast was perfect . Thank you all for a great stay .

• Stayed: June 2013
Reviewed 25 May 2013

Having been to my friends wedding here back in March and enjoyed the food so much, I booked a family meal for 9 people for my mums birthday in May. Although the restaurant was very quiet it didn't dampen the evening. The orangery is lovely and had lovely views.
Having informed the staff that we had a range of ages and appetites, 13 - 91, they were very adaptable with the menu and food! The only problem was then deciding what to order!
I deliberated over the pâté, oriental duck salad, Thai fish cakes and stuffed mushrooms - and that was just the starters!
Ordered pâté in the end with Victorian chutney which was delicious! But still looked longingly at others choices so will definitely need to go back!
My gran is a diabetic and has a small appetite so she ordered starter for her main course too!
The homemade bread rolls were to die for, the should of lamb looked divine and my daughter commented that the fish was the creme de la creme!' Definitely worth a repeat visit, in fact thinking about trying their Sunday lunch or afternoon teas, as this little gem is hiding away only 15 mins from home!

• Stayed: May 2013
Reviewed 29 April 2013

Only stayed one night great Hotel beautiful rooms very clean, large car park, no noise. Restaurant was closed but we only book 4 hours before arriving. Breakfast was excellent. Staying again this week.

Room Tip: Book ahead for dinner
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled on business