The Old Vicarage
The Lion Hotel(Broseley)
The Tontine Hotel(Ironbridge)
  • Room Service
  • Restaurant
All reviewswedding venuewedding breakfastfour poster bedwine listwedding receptionlambfriendly hotelcoach housemain buildingcannot faultshropshire countrysideevening mealone night stayfantastic valuewaiting staffa wonderful stayconservatory dining room
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 17 August 2014 via mobile

We had an amazing day for my brother's wedding at The Old Vicarage. The grounds and hotel are beautiful. The staff were efficient, friendly and extremely hard working both day and night. The food was excellent and Dan who planned the wedding for my brother and his wife was amazing and a credit to The Old Vicarage. He ensured all guest and family were happy and made the day extra special. Thank you so much. We would definitely recommend it for food and as a wedding venue.

• Stayed: August 2014
1  Thank raquel680
OldVicarageHotel, General Manager at The Old Vicarage, responded to this reviewResponded 10 September 2014

Dear Guest,

Many thanks for taking the time to leave such a wonderful review regarding your brothers wedding. It is always really encouraging to receive such positive comments.

Thanks you once again and I look forward to welcoming you back to the Old Vicarage Hotel in the not to distant future.

Reviewed 6 August 2014

We had my sister wedding here on the 31.7.14. We had a fabulous day, the venue was fantastic big enough but initmate enough. The hotel and the grounds are beautiful and made wonderful back drops for photos. The food the night before in the resturant was top notch the pudding was the best and im not a pudding person. The food on the day when catering for the wedding party was as higher standard as that of the food the night before when only seven of us ate. The rooms were all comfortable and clean, soft sheets and feather pillows. Everyone at the old vicarge made my sister and her husbands day so special a big thankyou to all of them.
A big thankyou to Kylie, Daniel and the boss Sarah who made us feel welcome from the start.
We can also recomend the afternoon tea all homemade and wonderful.

Room Tip: all rooms have lovely view that we went in.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
OldVicarageHotel, Manager at The Old Vicarage, responded to this reviewResponded 10 September 2014

Dear Guest,

It’s great to hear how happy you were with your sisters wedding. The hotel specifically caters for small to middle size weddings, it was perfect for Chantelles big day.

I have relayed your kind comments about the food to our kitchen brigade and were thrilled to hear how happy you all were.

Reviewed 5 August 2014

As I was due to umpire a cricket match at Worfield on Saturday and then another game nearby in Bridgnorth on the Sunday, where I needed to be in attendance by 10.00am, I decided to stay in the area overnight. As my wife is very fond of the area and has always been made very welcome and extremerly well treated by Worfield Cricket Club, she decided to accompany me on this occasion. I used a search engine to locate a hotel in the vicinty and was surprised at the price I was quoted to stay at The Old Vicarage! To ensure that I had not been misquoted the price, I contacted the hotel direct, to learn that they could not match the price I had been quoted so I reserved the room on line. A day or so before we were due to travel I received a telephone call from the hotel to say that they were unable to offer me the twin room I had reserved but that they were able to offer me a double room. As I had tried to book a double in the first place I was more than pleased to accept this.
When we arrived at the hotel on Saturday, we were pleasantly surprised to find that we had been allocated a very spacious ground floor room in the annexe with wonderful views out across the Shropshire/Staffordshire countryside.
Whilst the room was very tastefully decorated with a large onsuite bathroom that had a jaccuzi style bath, unfortunately the shower was totally inefficient and only ran cold water and to top it all, it was held together with bits of string!
We were fortunate enough, eventually, to be offered a place to dine on Saturday evening, which was a pleasurable experience, with good quality food but limited choices and some options were not available. The wine list appeared to be limited and quite expensive in comparison to the cost of the room and the food and other drinks. Not realising that, when the main courses were served, there were very few vegetables, we asked whether the chef still had any available as by this time it was quite late. We had two small side dishes, one with new potatoes and the other with mixed vegetables, that made the meal more enjoyable. We were a little disappointed to later discover that we had been charged for these dishes, even though there was nothing listed on the menu.
It was unfortunate that also roomed in the annexe was a very heavy snorer that both my wife and I had the misfortune to hear throughout the night!
On to breakfast, which was passable. The choice of cereals was poor with a large bowl of mushed up fruit as the only healthy option.

Room Tip: Ask for one that has been soundproofed!!
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about The Old Vicarage Hotel. You were contacted the day before your stay to ask whether you would be happy move to a double room, we did have the twin bedroom that had been booked originally available, however being aware that we had no double rooms available when the booking was made we called to see if you would prefer the double room, as we had just been notified of a cancelation.

After reading your comments about the shower I investigated it straight away, the shower has now been completely changed and is in perfect working order, thank you for bringing this to my attention.

All reservation confirmation, from the hotel and booking agents states restaurant reservations need to be made when booking your room, we were fully booked when you arrived however we did manage to reserve you a table later in the evening. We always give priority to our residents, if a table had been booked when the reservation was made I would have been able to book you a table at your chosen time.

The wine list hosts 4 house reds and 4 house white wines, as well as an extensive selection of speciality wines, we use 3 different wine suppliers to ensure the selection is varied. The price ranges from £18.00 per bottle. Unfortunately I have disagree with your comments about the wines price range.

Sides orders were requested and served, sorry if you were under then impression these were complimentary.

In terms of breakfast I am a little surprised to hear you thought there were no healthy options available. On the menu we have home made granola, natural yogurt and blueberries, flavoured yoghurt and daily made fruit salad. On your next visit if there is something that you would specifically like that is not on the menu please let us know before hand and I would be happy to organise this for you.

I hope this has addressed your points and I would like to thank you for your comments.

Reviewed 8 July 2014

My wife and I got married at The Old Vicarage in June 2014. David, Sarah, Daniel and their team were wonderful throughout the whole process. The hotel made for a beautiful venue for the whole day and evening... The Orangery and the gardens at the back are particularly splendid.

We were given exclusive use of the whole site and hotel for our wedding day, with our friends and family occupying all of the lovely rooms, each of which has an individual style.

Of particular note was the quality of both the food and wine - first rate. The whole experience represents excellent value for money for a wedding package in this day and age. The team will work with you to tailor your wedding day to your particular needs.

We couldn't recommend The Old Vicarage strongly enough!

Room Tip: Our favourite rooms were the large coach house rooms (we took the Shipton room as the bridal suite, with its huge jacuzzi), as well as the Beckbury, Chesterton and Claverley.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Michael L

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your lovely review regarding your wedding. I have passed your comments onto the team, especially our gardener, he takes great pride in making sure the gardens look wonderful for wedding parties and was over the moon to hear your comments.

Reviewed 27 June 2014 via mobile

My husband and I stayed for our honeymoon and loved every minute. The room was comfortable and clean and the staff were truly lovely, friendly and approachable. The food was also very good. We would definitely recommend this hotel and plan to stay there again in the future

Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest,

Thank you for describing our hotel as “outstanding”. Clearly that means we must be doing something right, however we won’t stop trying to improve so on that note let me say that we look forward to welcoming you back to hotel soon, where we will hopefully be even better.