“Lovely relaxing Easter break”
Review of Dolffanog Fawr

Dolffanog Fawr
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Talyllyn
Merseyside
“Lovely relaxing Easter break”
Reviewed 22 April 2014

Stayed here for 3 nights over the Easter break. We had been here 8 years ago, enjoyed our visit then and it was long overdue for a return.

Dolffanog Fawr is an extremely relaxing and comfortable guest house is a super position at the foot of Cadair Idris. On arrival we were shown to our room Mawddach, this is a lovely room at the front of the house and has the benefit of having a bath, great for a soak after walking on the hills all day. Lorraine meanwhile made us a fresh cup of tea which was served in the lounge.

Alex and Lorraine are lovely hosts and they are accompanied by their young son Morgan and Oggie the flat coated retriever.

Downstairs is a comfortable lounge with fire where you relax with coffee and mints after the meal. The meals are served at a communal table in the dining room.. The food is excellent and non meat eaters are well catered for. It is very pleasant to chat to your fellow guests whilst enjoying your evening meal. In fact it is great to see that all the guests staying on Saturday evening have posted to Tripadvisor.

There are seats in the garden where you can sit and have a beer and take in the view, or the more energetic may want to play with Oggie .

This is a super guesthouse, great rooms, super food, good company and an excellent location. Do not think we will leave it 8 years befor we return again.

Room Tip: If you want a bath choose Mawddach.

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
Bristol
Reviewed 20 April 2014

I've just returned from a third visit and having neglected to write a review previously thought it about time. From the moment you arrive to a warm welcome, it couldn't be more perfect. Alex and Lorraine are wonderful hosts and Lorraine's cooking is just sublime. Have stayed in two different rooms now and the views are stunning. Tastefully decorated throughout and spotlessly clean. It's nice also to sit around the table at both dinner and breakfast and meet the other guests, it's interesting to hear all their stories and see the different characters. Perfectly situated for all walking and other pursuits whilst at the same time being in an idyllic secluded location. I will certainly return many more times so not sure why I'm writing such a good review if it means I can't get in! Truly a great place.

Room Tip: All excellent
1 Thank Donna S
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 20 April 2014 via mobile

Just returned from two night stay at Dolffanog Fawr, Lorraine, Alex and Oggie the dog were so welcoming and couldn't do enough for us! We took our Spaniel Jack and we were all very comfy in our room which had stunning views of Cadair Idris and open fields full of Spring lambs.
The food is second to none, beautifully cooked and local!
So many lovely walks near by and a quick drive to the beach. Can highly recommend this B&B and we cannot wait to return!!!

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Southam, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 April 2014

We stayed just for 2 nights, but I loved it. The views from our bedroom and the dining room were amazing. The room was warm, tastefully decorated and comfortable. My dog loved the two little bone shaped biscuits waiting for her in the room! The food was great too, we had 2 breakfasts and one evening meal. All in all, couldn't have been better.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 April 2014

Cannot recommend Alex and Lorraine and Dolfanog Fawr enough. Tucked away, quiet, beautiful view over lake, at the foot of Cadair Idris (10min walk from Minffordd car park). Great sized rooms, very clean, great toiletries! Food was outstanding, huge piece of haddock for breakfast (order day before) and a delicious sauce with my chicken (evening meal). The three course communal evening meal is a lovely feature of this B&B and I would encourage potential visitors to participate, it's a great thing to do. Huge thanks to Alex and Lorraine for friendly, excellent service throughout and for the skiing tips! Oh and the hot tub....fabulous!

Oldham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 March 2014

we stayed here for 2 nights in September last year, I booked it based on previous Trip Advisor reviews and the fact that the website said there was limited mobile phone reception. Just what I was looking for to drag my hubby away from his phone for a few days.
I can only say that this B&B is stunning. It is set off the road and surrounded by hills and yes the only place you could get mobile signal was right at the bottom of the garden and it was better in the morning than the evening,
we stayed in the Wnion room, set away from the main house which suited us as I was unwell that weekend and spent a lot of time in the room.
The room itself is very spacious and the bed extremely comfortable.
The food was excellent and Alex and Lorraine were brilliant at managing my minor eating issues and provided alternatives to the menu for me to enjoy.
the only thing I would say to anyone who is interested in staying is that it is a shared table to eat at and if you are not keen on socialising it could be a little difficult. As I stated I was unwell the weekend we stayed and I found this a little uncomfortable. I am sure I could have eaten in my room but felt that would be a little unsocial of me so decided to join the other residents.
Over all it was a lovely weekend only marred by my illness, even the damp weather did not dull the beautiful welsh countryside.
Would I stay again, most definitely.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank MENTALMUM
Witney, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 January 2014

We stayed two nights for our anniversary weekend in November. Although we have never been to this part of Wales before and the weather wasn't kind, we were certainly not disappointed! The scenery was stunning, we had two fabulous walks and we absolutely loved the B&B. The welcome extended to us and Roly, our dog, by Alex and Lorraine was warm but unobtrusive, and we really enjoyed the company of our fellow guests at breakfast and supper at the communal dining table. Lorraine's food was really delicious both nights and the wine/ beer selection was great. Only sadness was that the wind and rain kept us out of the hot tub but we will be back!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Talyllyn
Craig-y-Dderwen Riverside Hotel
Tir y Coed Country House
The Gwydyr Hotel
The Gwydyr Hotel
#5 of 7 in Betws-y-Coed

Been to Dolffanog Fawr? Share your experiences!