“It was just so hard to leave”

The Old Rectory on the Lake
Ranked #1 of 5 Talyllyn B&B and Inns
Chester, United Kingdom
“It was just so hard to leave”
Reviewed 26 November 2011

My wife was recovering from a nasty op and I decided that a few days at The Old Rectory on the lake would be a real tonic - and I was right. We were dead lucky with the weather and so fortunate that we found this place on Trip Advisor as it lived up to all our expectations. The approach is stunning and when we arrived this impressive granite building was reflected in the lake waters - it was so still it looked like a mirror. Annoyingly my camera was not charged then but the shots I got the next day were almost as memorable. Our hosts were charming and attentive and nothing was too much for them. We had elected to dine both nights and we were so glad that we had as Ricky's food is sublime. We left totally relaxed and promised ourselves it would not be too long before we returned to do it all again. Thank you John and Ricky.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Mike J
Snowdoniatraveller, Owner at The Old Rectory on the Lake, responded to this review, 29 November 2011
Thanks for taking the time to leave this review and we are pleased that The Old Rectory on the lake proved to be just the tonic for your wife after her operation. You were here at a great time weatherwise and we were happy that you both were able to sit outside by the lake enjoying the occasional glass or two! Great therapy!!! Thanks also for your kind comments regarding my food. See you both again very soon.
Ricky - chef and joint owner!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (258)
  • Hebrew first
Enville DY7 5HA
Reviewed 21 November 2011

Yet again we went to our little bit of heaven for bonfire weekend,nothing has changed,the welcome warm,food excellent,rooms warm,cosey and comfortable.Johns welcome as always warm and friendly and Rickys food devine,it is exactly what we want from an establishment like this long may it continue. The fireworks were good too.

Room Tip: put yourselves in Johns hands he will advise you
5 Thank seljan
Snowdoniatraveller, Owner at The Old Rectory on the Lake, responded to this review, 1 December 2011
It is always our pleasure to welcome you back to Talyllyn and we are just pleased that yet again The Rectory Retreat was all that you wished for in your ‘little bit of heaven’. Thanks for adding to our fireworks display – the reflections from them in the glassy still lake that night were just superb and as you know a great time was had by all who were also staying that weekend. Also many thanks for sharing with us your concerns regarding down the lane which have been passed on. You know you are all always welcome here at The Old Rectory on the lake. See you next year!
John – joint owner
Cardigan, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 November 2011

We decided we would like to stay here on our way home to West Wales from our wedding in Scotland as it was the first ever place we went away to together five years ago. It was the best decision we could have made. John's hospitality and Ricky's cooking are a heavenly combination.

After a warm greeting on our arrival we strolled round the beautifull lake Talyllyn and then got ready for dinner in our very comfortable room where the linen was sparkling clean and crisp and where nice quality eco-friendly toiletries enhanced the luxurious shower. The house is a lovely building, very well decorated in a well-selected mix of traditional and modern furnishing, and everything is lovely and clean and well cared for. There is a new extension which has been sympathetically designed in keeping with the house, which is the dining room where large windows give a super view of the lake. We felt well attended without being intruded upon at all; we were entertained with a short film they have had specially commissioned to show visitors what the landscape looks like throughout the year whilst enjoying our pre-dinner tipple and then in for an absolutely amazing meal. The food is first class, the presentation is beautiful, top quality ingredients and the food itself was just spot-on. Really lovely food!

There is a good selection of hot breakfast options as well as smoked salmon and a very nice continental buffet with good quality yoghurt and fruit such as blueberries and raspberries (no Ski yoghurt and tinned fruit cocktail here!!!) which set us up so well for the last leg of our journey home as "Mr and Mrs". We have a photo that John took of us at the hotel which I will upload as soon as I can figure out how to! You can see from the smiles what a lovely time we're having.

You would be hard pressed to find any fault with The Old Rectory On The Lake - take my advice... go there and see for yourself, it's wonderful.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
6 Thank Laura M
Snowdoniatraveller, Owner at The Old Rectory on the Lake, responded to this review, 26 November 2011
What a detailed TripAdvisor review! Thanks so much for taking the time and sharing your valued observations on your stay here with us. We are so happy that you returned to Talyllyn as part of your honeymoon and that you felt that it was the best decision you could have made! Your comments regarding my evening meals and breakfasts are very much appreciated. We wish you well for the rest of your lives together.
Ricky - chef and joint owner.
PS Sorry you could not upload the picture!!!
Colchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 November 2011

I can only second my husbands comments, The Old Rectory on the Lake is simply an amazing venue. The venue is located in the most stunning setting, whether day or night....the lake is mesmerising. The hosts are delightful, so accommodating and nothing being too much trouble....I particularly welcomed the helpful suggestions of what we could do in and around Snowdonia. The food is exquisite, I would argue michelin star quality....and superbly presented. We stayed in the retreat and it was ideallic, views stunning, and all the special touches i.e. chocolates & sparkling/still water complimentary when we arrived. I would go back in an instant, so already planning when we can next get away to this ideallic retreat that I hope remains a good secret (so there is availability) for us to enjoy again & again :-)

Room Tip: All of the rooms were lovely, but dogs only allowed in the retreat.
4 Thank Nicola B
Snowdoniatraveller, Owner at The Old Rectory on the Lake, responded to this review, 25 November 2011
Wow! Two reviews from the same couple and again we are so pleased that you had such a good birthday with us here at The Old Rectory on the lake. We have since learnt that like your husband previously you too are involved in the hospitality business so again your glowing comments are so well received. Also it was so kind of you to try and sort out something for us while we were in Canada last week - like you we too really appreciate those little touches. And no-one has ever suggested that my food is 'Michelin' quality - now you are really flattering me! See you both again and our kind regards.
Ricky - chef and joint owner.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 November 2011

We enjoyed a weekend 11/11/2011 at the Old Rectory. I have spent some 12 years in the 5 star hotel industry, prior to my existing career. I would suggest that this is as close to a perfect stay one can get this side of Heaven. The staff were very very charming, with great character and candour. I have read the previous review regarding the service, and home movies. My experince was a one of quiet enlightenment, being given the opportunity to see a professionals snap shot of the year round scenery and beauty. This led to great conversation and friendship with the other guests, all of which enjoyed the show. In short - Great location, great host and service with real character a wonderful break. We will no doubt be back soon. The food is out of this world, top marks for the Chef.

Room Tip: The retreat was perfect for self containment. My Spaniel and mini Dachshund loved it as well.
5 Thank Richard S
It is always daunting when somone comes to stay who has had so much more experience than us in the hospitality business - so this review is more than greatly appreciated. We are so pleased that your wife's birthday weekend was such a success and that you enjoyed Ricky's cooking. Also I am relieved that you liked the photographic snapshot of the area during pre-dinner drinks. We really look forward to meeting you both again.
John - joint owner.
Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 November 2011

Our stay at The Old Rectory on the lake began with magical scenery that was breathtakingly beautiful so our location was excellent. The welcome was warm, friendly and very informative. We settled into our 'Room with a view' and were very impressed with the facilities. Everything had a touch of luxury. The restaurant was in a prime location to enjoy further the amazing views and it was here we experienced beautifully cooked and presented breakfasts. The choices on the breakfast menu would satisfy all tastes. Our evening meal began with drinks in the lounge. We valued the opportunity to listen to John,our host, who shared some lovely stories. We then had the opportunity to watch a beautiful video which was made to capture the ever changing magical scenery. It was a pleasure to see as he truely admires the lake and we really apprecited the chance to share this enthusiasm. The evening meal that followed was perfect. The food was to a very high standard and the service was excellent. As it was bonfire night we were promised some fireworks after dinner. This made my birthday even more special. What followed was a well organised display and the location made the experience even more enjoyable. I have no doubt that we will return to this well deserved 5 star B&B and would reccommend that you go and experience this too.

Room Tip: Every room has a view of the beautiful lake but the rooms upstairs do have the advantage of more sce...
6 Thank Rebecca W
Snowdoniatraveller, Owner at The Old Rectory on the Lake, responded to this review, 11 November 2011
I see that TripAdvisor has picked up another award - best online travel website as voted by Telegragh readers. This site which was started in 2000 has more than 50 million reviews and six million photos - now you have added to their impressive stats with this very much appreciated and considered review together with three lovely images taken during your stay. We are pleased that your birthday and Bonfire night was not a damp squib and that The Old Rectory on the lake truly sparkled for you. We look forward to meeting you both again.
John - joint owner.
Vyskov, Czech Republic
Reviewed 6 November 2011

A year ago, I had the opportunity to visit this beautiful region the first time. Because I like mountain hiking, I wanted to climb one of the highest peaks of the Snowdonia National Park - Caddair Idris. Character of the landscape is markedly different from European mountains, mainly because there are no trees and you can enjoy the perfect view of crystal clear lakes in valleys - just wonderful! If you like running The Old Rectory is the right place for you! There is a great 5,41km long track around the lake. My personal the best is 22min 59sec - is there somebody who beat my score? :-) In the end of your sporty days I have to recommend using the Hot Tub - it is a great relaxation for your body!

It was a great time which I could spend on The Old Rectory on the Lake with so friendly people like John and Ricky! I very look forward to spring beauties of this place!

Thanks for all again!

• Stayed September 2011, travelled solo
5 Thank DawiDX
I graciously admit defeat - you are now faster than me running round the Talyllyn! My best time was 22.45 but I am afraid it's a tad more than that these days although I do try and do it at least three times a week as I am training for a local marathon next year. And you are right our hot tub is very relaxing after a good work out. We are so pleased that the weather was kind to you when you went up Cadair Idris. Thanks for this review and for including a photo of our cat, Idris, who has adopted us. He and us hope to see you again in the spring.
Ricky - joint owner
Also consider these accommodations in or near Talyllyn
Penmaenuchaf Hall
Pandy Isaf Country House Bed & Breakfast
Pen-y-Bont Hotel
Pen-y-Bont Hotel
#5 of 5 in Talyllyn

Been to The Old Rectory on the Lake? Share your experiences!