The Old Rectory on the Lake
US$124
Hotels.com
  • Breakfast included
Dolffanog Fawr(Talyllyn)
No availability for your dates from our partners
All reviewshot tubricky's cookingthe craig goch roomb bfree standing bathhosts johnmynydd rugog roomroll top bathstunning viewshuge bathroomcadair idriswarm welcomeeggs benedictbed and breakfastbefore dinnerlocal areaidyllic location
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 24 May 2012

Well if I am being honest I was dragged here by my husband as he goes to this guest house so he can fish on the lake at Tal-y-Lynn. He was to fish with his friend and his wife and I were to try and amuse ourselves somehow!! Waow, what an amazing 4 days I had. First of all the guest house was just so lovely. John and Ricky (the owners) and Jacup who works there were just so friendly and welcoming, when we arrived we had 'proper coffee' (not the cheap stuff) in the lounge and we were then shown to our big, very clean, comfortable room - and this is my favourite bit. The bathroom was huge and it had one of them huge baths in the middle of the room, the old fashioned type with the legs - I loved it!!!! As a keen runner, I went for a run around the lake (just over 3 miles) while my friend relaxed in her huge bath. We decided to have dinner at the guest house as my husband informed me that Ricky was one of the best chefs that he has ever met. Well he wasn't wrong, the food was amazing, the presentation, the quality and OMG the flavour, we ate there every night we stayed, and not only that as were were eating we got to enjoy the sun set over the mountains, listening to lovely music in the backround which was just so relaxing. The next day my friend and I were at a loss at what we could do (we really didn't want to fish) but we needn't have worried John is like a Trip Advisor himself and gave us a whole range of activities to get through. First of all he directed us towards the Precipice walk which had the most stunning views (it takes about 2 hours) then he directed us to a few different places but we ended up spending most of our day in the beautiful town of Dolgellau. We were really lucky with the weather and Dolgellau has a stunning beach. Also there is loads of shops and beautiful intimate coffee shops where you can sit outside and have cream tea. You must visit the 'arousal cafe' he! he! and get your picture taken in front of it. I would highly recommend The Old Rectory on the Lake situated on this stunning lake-such views when you look out your window in the morning. You must also look out for a very famous lady who lives there, Marian Fleese, she is a bit of a diva and if she is not away on one of her jollys you may get your picture taken with her. She even has her own FB page - check her out. I loved this place so much I have asked my husband to take me back up there in August to celebrate my birthday - I can't wait!!!

Room Tip: I would choose one of the rooms upstairs in the house with the huge baths and stunning views from the window
2  Thank Jacks259
Snowdoniatraveller, Public Relations Manager at The Old Rectory on the Lake, responded to this reviewResponded 28 May 2012

John and Ricky have asked me to respond to this as even I get a mention!! I am so pleased you enjoyed your four days here with us and it was good to meet you all. I was so impressed that you followed John's suggested adventures almost to the letter while your husbands took to the waters of the lake. Thanks for being my friend on FB and I look forward to helping you celebrate your birthday in August.
My kindest regards, Marian Fleece - the diva!

Reviewed 19 May 2012

Following last November's walk on the Minffordd path up Cadair Idris, we returned to The Old Rectory to tackle the summit from Ty Nant along the Pony Path. We were pretty successful but the low cloud prevented us from actually finding the summit cairn stone!
Once back at John and Ricky's, we took full advantage of the huge bath in our room for a very long soak of our muscles.
Dinner was, as always, delicious and, on this visit, preceded by some very tasty canopes.
John and Ricky always make us most welcome and it is this, together with the excellent food and accomodation in such a wonderful location that makes us wish we could stay more often.

Room Tip: Mynydd Rugog - double views of lake. Craig Goch - single view of lake plus huge bathroom
1  Thank Raincheg
Snowdoniatraveller, Owner at The Old Rectory on the Lake, responded to this reviewResponded 24 May 2012

Thanks so much for leaving this review, which comes in the week when we were told the exciting news that for the scond year on the run we have been awarded a certificate of excellence from TripAdvisor. We feel that this award is thanks in no small part to kind folk like you who return to stay with us again and still take the time afterwards to leave appreciative reviews.
We are so pleased to gain this award and sincerely thank the 236 guests to date who have kindly left reviews together with 250 posted traveller photographs.
John, Ricky, Idris and Marian.

Reviewed 17 May 2012

We spent May bank holiday at the Old Recorty and as usual the welcome was warm and friendly,food excellent and room warm and cosy and it so near the midalnds its ideal.

Room Tip: they are all top quality the retreat is bliss.We have been going there for quite some time and the service and food remain top quality,breakfast are soooooooo good from full welsh to kippers no complaints at all.
1  Thank 552selwyn552
Snowdoniatraveller, Public Relations Manager at The Old Rectory on the Lake, responded to this reviewResponded 20 May 2012

John and Ricky have asked me to respond to this kind review. It was so good to meet you when you were here for that last holiday weekend and we are pleased that you had such a good time with us here at Talyllyn. Looking at the the ever filling bookings diary I see you will be back for that Bonfire Night weekend - please forgive me if I seek a safe and quiet shelter that evening!
Sincere bleatings from Marian Fleece.

Reviewed 15 May 2012

Very impressed. Beautiful location. Friendly relaxed welcome. Well appointed room. Wonderful food. Trout from the lake. Best duck breast I've ever tasted. We'll definitely be back.

1  Thank Brian-and-Nina
Snowdoniatraveller, Owner at The Old Rectory on the Lake, responded to this reviewResponded 19 May 2012

We are pleased that you have deemed us to be 'perfect'! We do try our best but feel we do not always get it right - so thanks for this encouragement. We were very fortunate that during that weekend we had two very experienced fishermen staying with us who managed to catch some great brown trout which many diners - like you - so enjoyed. As for the duck, it comes like all our meat and cheese, from an award winning family butchers in Bala. We hope to welcome you both to Talyllyn again sometime.
John - joint owner

Reviewed 15 May 2012

A tranquil retreat with not a caravan for miles. We stayed for 3 nights with friends and the ladies wanted to stay longer - or go back next week (and the week after). Room, food, location and, most importantly, the welcome were all first class.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank Barry M
Snowdoniatraveller, Owner at The Old Rectory on the Lake, responded to this reviewResponded 18 May 2012

We are so pleased that you all enjoyed your three nights with us - it was our pleasure to meet you and we hope you return soon.
Kind regards, Ricky - joint owner