The Old Rectory on the Lake
If you like this hotel, you might also be interested in
Penmaenuchaf Hall(Penmaenpool)
US$148
US$144
Dolffanog Fawr(Talyllyn)
No availability for your dates from our partners
All reviewshot tubricky's cookingthe craig goch roomb bfree standing bathhosts johnmynydd rugog roomroll top bathstunning viewshuge bathroomcadair idriswarm welcomeeggs benedictbed and breakfastbefore dinnerlocal areaidyllic location
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 21 June 2012

We chose the Old Rectory for our minimoon after we previously stayed nearby at substandard accommodation, but loved the area. We knew we wanted somewhere peaceful to relax after our wedding and the website promised “the ideal place to get away from it all and unwind.” The Old Rectory is all this and more.

We asked for the Mynydd Rugog room and adored the amazing view, both from the bedroom and the bathroom windows, it was bliss to lie in a luxurious claw footed bath filled with hot water and bubbles and gaze and gaze at the rippled water and hills. On our second day John recommended a walk to us that took us up a steep slog, but then opened up above the treeline to show the most amazing vista of Tal-y-Llyn.

We stayed for dinner both nights and were just blown away by the quality of the food – this is *not* B&B food, it’s of a standard we would expect at a very good restaurant. Every course was better than the last, and since they started off well this is high praise indeed. This continued at breakfast; I bravely ordered Eggs Benedict on the first morning, as I find it’s a dish that is rarely done well, but I needn’t have worried. The bacon was delicious, the poached eggs were perfect and the hollandaise sauce was definitely not out of a packet. I ordered it again the second morning, and will have it again when we go back, as we definitely will.

I think the blend of John’s charm and hosting skills (we very much enjoyed the videos of the area), Ricky’s cooking and Jacob’s care and attention to detail is a winning combination and I predict the Old Rectory will go from strength to strength. Book now whilst you still can.

2  Thank nicnjim
Management response:Responded 26 June 2012

Hello from Talyllyn and thanks for chosing us for your 'minimoon' - we were so flattered you chose to come here for such an important occasion and just could not believe the coincidence that another couple were also staying who had got married on the same day as you. Your kind comments about me are much appreciated and I have passed on your remarks about his food to Chef Ricky. Good luck with the rest of your lives together and we look forward to welcoming you back again. Oh, and thanks too for the pieces of wedding cake!
John - joint owner

Reviewed 21 June 2012

Just back from another great stay at The Old Rectory on the lake although it nearly was The Old Rectory IN the lake. We felt safe and secure during the Friday night as it rained and rained and rained. Imagine our surprise when we opened the window in the morning to see that the two roads which go round the lake had completely disappeared under water! It really was quite exciting as John gave us a few suggestions of what to do during the day to avoid the great flood - for a time we thought we were going to be marooned liked the guests in the hotel opposite but then further down the valley they opened a road and we could escape to the sea. We could not have hoped for a more exciting stay as the images I post with this will hopefully show! And then 24 hours later as we enjoyed yet another of Ricky's incredible meals the weather simply changed for the better. Next time we will be back with our flippers!

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank william k
Management response:Responded 23 June 2012

We could not believe the weather Talyllyn experienced when you returned to see us and we had already started building an ark! We have never experienced such heavy rain like it and we gather a staggering five inches fell in 24 hours resulting in the lake rising by over six feet. We were all out early the next morning getting shots and videos of the flooded roads and those cars abandoned by the hotel opposite and your photos taken above the first village down the valley from us - Abergynolwyn - are truly amazing. However we are glad that all this did not dampen your stay! Hope to see you again and congratulations on the new arrival.
John - joint owner

Reviewed 20 June 2012

My partner and I were looking to go somewhere that was remote and semi out of the way.

Went on google - didnt find much, then went on trip advisor and found this place.

Why havent I been here before? Its wonderful!

Nice Comfy bed, Heavy white towels, Complimentary chocolates and mineral water served as complimentary!

And the gentlemen we met (John). What a gentleman. After a long day travelling from the west midlands, and going all over north wales, he made us feel very well at home. The video he showed us of the lake was spectacular! and how somebody managed to land a helicopter in the terrace garden baffles me!

From what I understand he even has a tie up with a taxi company that will pick you up from the train station or the local airstrip!

I shall definitely be coming again (probably by air!) What a fantastic place, with fantastic people. A gem in snowdonia.

Room Tip: Top floor rooms have a wonderful lake view!
2  Thank alexfenlon
Management response:Responded 24 June 2012

We were so pleased that you and your delightful first officer touched down at The Old Rectory on the lake. Thanks for this glowing debrief and we were relieved that you did not encounter any turbulence during your one night stop over. We hope that your idea for a meet here with your other flying enthusiasts really takes off and we will leave the landing lights on when we know you are all on your way! Over and out!
John and Ricky, co-pilots of The Old Rectory on the lake.

Reviewed 19 June 2012

Even in the rain The Old Rectory offers an inspiring get away. Having travelled up after work with the task of salvaging our caravan after recent floods, John was the perfect host. The accommodation is beautiful, clean and comfortable. Little touches (which so often disappear in cash strapped times) such as chocolates in the room, bottled water and wonderful white fluffy bath towels, really help to speed up a rapid wind down. The room was well equipped with comfortable chairs, HD TV, a small kitchen area and a large bathroom with shower and bath. The breakfast menu was a treat and prepared by someone who clearly loves to cook for others. Unfortunately we did not have chance to sample the restaurant in the evening or the facilities such as the spa. There are many things to enjoy in the area whether you are active, sight seeing or just relaxing but I would wholly recommend treating yourself to some time out at The Old Rectory.

1  Thank fennel-123
Management response:Responded 21 June 2012

Hello, bleatings from Talyllyn,
John and Ricky have asked me to respond to this. It was so good to make your acquaintance again after so long and I hope your children enjoyed the photographs you took of me in my new home now at the other end of the lake. I am so sad that your caravan was wrecked in the recent floods and just hope that your night's stay here was the tonic you so badly needed. I have passed on your kind comments and I hope you come and see me again.
Best wishes, Marian Fleece

Reviewed 19 June 2012

The Old Rectory has been superbly renovated and offers very high quality rooms and bathrooms within a beautiful quiet setting. The hosts are very welcoming and the standard of the food is as good or better than any hotel, anywhere, for any price. I highly recommend dining at least once during your stay, or even every day as there is no other good food in the area unless you are a fan of frozen scampi. I went to Talyllyn to fish for several days on the lake and the Old Rectory was a great choice. They even cooked one of the trout I caught for my breakfast

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank Mark W
Management response:Responded 21 June 2012

We were really impressed how seriously you took your fishing especially when the weather got very wet and you had to return to The Old Rectory on the lake for a good dry out! We often have anglers staying here but we suspect, apart from a great friend called Jim, you have caught the most! It was my pleasure to cook a brown trout fresh from the lake for your breakfast and thanks for the kind comments regarding my food.
Ricky - chef and joint owner.