“Superb Weekend”

Ranked #1 of 5 Talyllyn B&B and Inns
Worcester, United Kingdom
“Superb Weekend”
Reviewed 18 July 2012

Once again another superb stay at the Old Rectory, the surrounding scenery never fails to amaze me. Thanks again to John and Ricky for making our stay as enjoyable as ever. Ricky's food remains first class, I'm sure he could be chef any restaurant and would not be out of place!
I envy anyone going to stay at the Rectory. Look forward to our next stay

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends
3 Thank Swmmy
Snowdoniatraveller, Owner at The Old Rectory on the Lake, responded to this review, 16 August 2013
I smply have no idea how we missed this review I am so sorry! So over a year late can we thank you so much for posting this kind account of your stay with us here at Tal-y-llyn. It is appreciated.
Best wishes and again my profound apologies, John - joint owner

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (247)
  • Hebrew first
London
Reviewed 10 July 2012

This is a really beautiful location for a trip in Wales! Great views and countryside and a lovely B&B too! You can't really ask for more. We had dinner twice as the food was so delicious and convenient.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends
4 Thank Khin C
, Owner at The Old Rectory on the Lake, responded to this review, 16 July 2012
Hello from Talyllyn and thanks for leaving this review. I am so pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us and also my cooking - I am not allowed out much from the kitchens so when I get a chance to look at Tripadvisor it is so good to read such kind comments about what I produce.
Ricky - chef and joint owner.
london
Reviewed 7 July 2012

Just returned from our second visit to this charming b & b run by the congenial hosts John and Ricky. They have worked hard to make this a very special place with great attention to detail. As my partner is confined to a wheelchair, the retreat ( attached to the main building) is perfect. With level access into it, a double and single bed, wet room with roll-in shower as well as a bath and kitchen area, it is perfectly self-contained yet next door to the main building where breakfast and evening meals are served. Ricky continues to provide meals of a higher standard than we have experienced in many top-class restaurants. Not only is the food fresh but the presentation is excellent. We really cannot praise it too much. John is an excellent 'mine host' and very anxious to please and help guests plan their visit in whichever way they choose. Despite the fact it rained every day we were there, we felt relaxed and comfortable - all made easy by their obliging manners and the ease of the surroundings (taking into account the difficulties we often experience with wheelchair access)
This is a fabulous place in a fabulous setting with two charming and hospitable hosts (ably assisted this summer by the personable Jakob)
Highly recommended to disabled travellers in search of peace and tranquility and equally to able-bodied travellers with a love of rural Wales,walking, fishing and sightseeing.
We will definitely return!

Room Tip: The retreat for disabled travellers
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
5 Thank sooz16
Snowdoniatraveller, Owner at The Old Rectory on the Lake, responded to this review, 19 July 2012
We really appreciate you taking the time to leave this review and it was so good to meet you both again. We are pleased that The Rectory Retreat was just what you needed for your few days break in southern Snowdonia and I have passed on your very kind comments regarding his cooking to Ricky. We look forward to welcoming you back here in the future.
Best wishes, John - joint owner.
Salisbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 July 2012

My wife and I stayed with my wife`s 98 year old aunt.Perfect access from the annexe to the dining room and a great track by the lake to take her for an evening push/stroll.Thanks to you all for a very memorable stay and to Jacob for giving up his room as well.

Room Tip: The annexe was very spacious and comfortable with a good wet room. Good view of the lake provided no...
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank sampson63
, Owner at The Old Rectory on the Lake, responded to this review, 11 July 2012
Hello there - thanks for leaving this review it is very much appreciated. We are glad that your wife's aunt was able to come and stay with us - and tell her from us she certainly did not look 98! She is undoubtedly our oldest guest so far and we hope she can return to celebrate her centenary! It was grreat to meet you all.
Best wishes, Ricky - chef and joint owner
Munich
Reviewed 7 July 2012

I finally managed to get out of Munich and return again to this amazing spot in Wales. My visit was an utter delight and no wonder The Old Rectory on the lake has just been voted the best bed and breakfast in Wales by Trip Advisor reviewers. As there are over two thousand, two hundred other places listed John and Ricky can be justly proud of what they have achieved these last few years. My pictures posted here really do not do justice to the area and as for Ricky's food - everyone on here has said it before! This chef is highly talented! I will be back!!!!

• Stayed June 2012, travelled solo
5 Thank Prag78m
, Owner at The Old Rectory on the Lake, responded to this review, 10 July 2012
It was great that you were able to escape from your hectic life in Munich and visit us again and we are so pleased that you enjoyed your stay so much. It's thanks to kind reviews like yours that has made us for the moment the top rated TripAdviser bed and breakfast in Wales. We just cannot believe it and appreciate we will probably be knocked off this illustrious position as the season progresses when other places - probably much more deserving than us - get more glowing reviews but please forgive us while we savour this amazing moment.
John and Ricky - joint owners of The Old Rectory on the lake
Dartford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 July 2012

Last weekend, my partner, our dog Bella and I spent a most wonderful weekend in Talyllyn at The Old Rectory on the Lake. We booked here quite blindly, as we wanted to find a hotel in the Snowdonia National Park where dogs are welcome. We liked the look of The Old Rectory and booked up straight away. How pleasantly surprised we were when we pulled up outside this quiet, idyllic retreat "Wow!" we both breathed... and when we were welcomed inside this lovely hotel... once again... "Wow!"
The hotel was clean and very comfortable with everything we needed.... the food was beyond fabulous.... the location was out of this world and the hoteliers John, Ricky and the lovely Jacob were so warm and helpful... we wanted for nothing! And even the lack of a mobile phone signal was NOT an issue here.
I am recommending The Old Rectory on the Lake, which has been voted no.1 B&B in Wales, to everyone I know. Don't just take my word for it - go there! You won't regret it. Thank you John, Ricky, Jacob and of course, Marian Fleece for a wonderful stay! "We'll be back!"

Room Tip: Any of them!
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Diane R
, Owner at The Old Rectory on the Lake, responded to this review, 14 July 2012
Thanks so much for this incredible review and we are so pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us. As we said at the time we realise we will not be the best rated bed and breakfast in Wales for ever but while we are we are enjoying it and thanks so much for highlighting this. We really look forward to meeting you both and Bella again.
Our kindest regards, John, Ricky and Marian.
bakewell, derbys, UK
Reviewed 6 July 2012

After 3 nights elsewhere in Wales in a very wet week I was on the point of heading home and cutting my losses when I suddenly remembered that the Old Rectory was in striking distance. I had a very memorable stay there last year wrote the 100th TripAdvisor review. Luckily John had one room left for me and my friend. Nothing had changed - all as wonderful as before. (Even the sun shone briefly) and the beautiful lake was a perfect mirror. Sheer cossetting and great comfort from start to finish and a feeling of well being (and being so welcome). This is what true luxury is about rather than trouser presses and leisure centres in dull chain hotels. Special thanks to Jacob for making an excellent dinner served with great charm on Ricky.s one night off from cooking.

Nigel

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends
6 Thank exegesis
, Manager at The Old Rectory on the Lake, responded to this review, 10 July 2012
Thanks for coming back to see us - and we have had a few more reviews since your last one! It was good to meet you again with your friend and I am glad that you had such an enjoyable stay. I will pass on your appreciative comments to Jakub - if he continues like that I will be out of a job soon!
Kind regards, Ricky - chef and joint owner
Also consider these accommodations in or near Talyllyn
Penmaenuchaf Hall
The Slate Shed B &B at Graig Wen
Pen-y-Bont Hotel
Pen-y-Bont Hotel
#5 of 5 in Talyllyn

Been to The Old Rectory on the Lake? Share your experiences!