“The Old Rectory on the lake - the best way to experience Wales!”

The Old Rectory on the Lake
Ranked #1 of 5 Talyllyn B&B and Inns
Aberystwyth, United Kingdom
“The Old Rectory on the lake - the best way to experience Wales!”
Reviewed 5 November 2012

I took my girlfriend to see the beauties of Wales where I studied. For Accommodation I looked no further than to The Old Rectory on the lake because my parents have had a great stay there two years ago and a quick peek at the Tripadvisor reviews showed it maintains its high standards.

We stayed in the Craig Coch room. It was spacious and had an absolutely massive bathroom with a bathtub which has a fab blue spotlight underneath. We had a four-course meal at the Old Rectory which not only saved us having to drive miles but made us argue about whether it was our best or second best fine dining experience ever. Compliments to Ricky the chef and many thanks to John who with the help of his videos presented us with probably the best pictures, footage and knowledge of the South Snowdonia.

We climbed Cadair Idris and we do not regret choosing this second-highest peak instead of far-away Snowdon. The only shame is that the weather changes so often and we learned an umbrella is a must. The Welsh weather took us by surprise on more than one occasion!

After our evening meal we jumped in the outside hot tub and watched the stars which was just the perfect last night of our great holiday.

Have a look at a selection of pictures I took during our stay.

Room Tip: For a romantic break I suggest the two upstairs rooms, but you have to book them well in advance.
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank jkl-cz
Snowdoniatraveller, Owner at The Old Rectory on the Lake, responded to this review, 21 November 2012
We are so pleased that you returned to see us and this time bringing your girlfriend! Your detailed review is truly appreciated and the pictures you have posted are really good. We must tell Idris our cat that he is featured again on here! It was an utter delight to have you to stay with us - we really think we know you well now and look forward to your return. In the meantime good luck seeking your fortune in London!
Best wishes, John and Ricky - joint owners

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (248)
  • Hebrew first
Wrexham, Wales, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 November 2012

We have just returned and might I say what a wonderful stay we had , such a beautiful relaxing place. John and Ricky, thank you for your kind and welcoming hospitality and what a wonderful chef Ricky is the food was second to none :) . As we stayed bonfire weekend John and Ricky put on the most stunning display of fireworks . We will most definitely be returning next year .

Room Tip: I would recommend you ask for the upstairs rooms as the view across the lake is breathe taking.
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Paula P
Snowdoniatraveller, Owner at The Old Rectory on the Lake, responded to this review, 16 November 2012
It was our pleasure to have you to stay with us and we are so pleased that you enjoyed the fireworks - I had great fun setting them off and the weather for it was just great with some amazing reflections in the lake which many of our guests caught perfectly on camera. The explosions echoing around the mountain tops were awesome too! We hope to welcome you here again.
Ricky - chef and firework enthusiast!
Chester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 November 2012

We spent a couple of fantastic days here.
Food superb, scenery breathtaking, hosts really made us feel welcome.
Can't wait to go back again.

We will certainly be recommending it to our friends.
We were in an upstairs room mynydd rugog and the view from the bed each morning was great.
Even on dull, misty days it was a beautiful place to be.
Ideal for the budding photographer or artist.
Its no wonder its hard to book this bed and breakfast, as it is so popular, understandably so.
We spent a lovely day on the Talyllyn railway, just a few minutes drive from the bed and breakfast. We were certainly well rested and fed by the time we came to leave.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank june w
Wow! What a great review! Many thanks for this glowing endorsement which is really appreciated. We are so pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us. You are so right Talyllyn is an artists'/photographers' paradise and as you know the views here are constantly changing. We look forward to perhaps meeting you both again in the future.
Kind regards from Ricky - joint owner.
London, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 November 2012

We had almost forgotten how beautiful this part of Wales is! John and Ricky are attentive and welcoming hosts and we really enjoyed the hearty Welsh breakfasts and an evening meal, which was a delight. A bridal path from the house leads you through the forest to the hills above which provide breathtaking views of this beautiful valley - we walked for four hours before we encountered anyone else. The house is in a peaceful, off main road location, but is a short drive from Dollgethlau, a starting point for some great walks, after which it was very nice to come back to such comfortable accommodation. We hope to return.

Room Tip: Upstairs rooms look particularly attractive.
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank rj0ne
Snowdoniatraveller, Manager at The Old Rectory on the Lake, responded to this review, 14 November 2012
Apologies for taking so long to respond to this kind review but we have been away from Talyllyn. We are so flattered when guests take the time to write about their time with us and also for adding images - yours taken from the farm track above us looking down on the lake has the dubious honour of being the 400th posted on our TripAdvisor listing so thanks very much!
Our kindest regards, John and Ricky - joint owners.
Iver
Reviewed 31 October 2012

We've just returned from our first visit to such a fantastic place. Stunning views of the lake, excellent accomodation and high quality evening meals to match! Certainly to be recommended and thankyou to 'The Times for introducing us to this splendid B+B!

Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank ptorrent1
Snowdoniatraveller, Owner at The Old Rectory on the Lake, responded to this review, 14 November 2012
Sorry for the delay in responding to this but we have been away. We were so pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us and was prompted to do so thanks to the write-up and full page picture of The Old Rectory on the lake which was printed in The Times a few days before. Thanks too for the kind comments regarding my food and we hope that we can welcome you again here in the future.
Best wishes, Ricky - chef and joint owner.
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 October 2012

Have just returned from another relaxing few days staying at this idyllic spot - and no wonder The Old Rectory is so highly rated by us TripAdvisor reviewers as it so hard to find fault. It is the number one rated bed and breakfast for the whole of Snowdonia and for a time I think it was the number one for the whole of Wales - which is incredible and richly deserved. John is the most charasmatic of hosts and Ricky's food is worthy of any top notch restaurant - his presentation is sublime. The ambiance of their home is so soothing and I covet their two upstairs free standing baths with the blue lights underneath. I actually saw the otter during an early morning walk around the lake but did not have my camera with me so could not claim my free bottle of wine! I sincerely hope he and his family returns again: I certainly will!

Room Tip: You must dine in during your stay!
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled solo
4 Thank Daz2702
Snowdoniatraveller, Owner at The Old Rectory on the Lake, responded to this review, 2 November 2012
Thanks for returning to see us and writing such a glowing second review. I have passed on your kind comments to Ricky who, as I type this, is slaving away in The Old Rectory on the lake kitchen preparing vegetables and creating some more mouth-watering desserts for tonight's evening meals. I am pleased that you managed to see the otter - he is still about!
Kind regards, John - joint owner.
Hexham
Reviewed 27 October 2012

I have just spent 5 lovely days at The Old Rectory on the lake with my mother and brother. The location really does have the WOW factor - we arrived on a sunny evening when the lake was a still as glass and the autumn colours on the mountains opposite were reflected in the water - really quite something.

The accommodation was clean and very comfortable indeed; the breakfasts were excellent with plenty of choice; we throughly enjoyed the video presentation of the place through the seasons and the wild life virtually on the doorstep.

I spent one very peaceful day sitting in the garden and walking along the lake shore line. I took the opportunity to have a look around the local chapel which i did not initially realise was not open to the public. I was fortunate to bump into my host in the graveyard - he was friends with the owner - and he arranged an impromptu tour of the chapel interior. Stepping across the threshold took my breath away. It was absolutely exquisite in the simplicity of ancient craftsmanship with a painted tudor barrel vault ceiling at the altar end of the church and a lovely stained glass window. The interlude made my day for which I have John, my host to thank.

I was also extremely grateful to John on my last day when I discovered my mother and brother had departed earlier in the day for their ferry to ireland with my purse still in their car. John was extremely kind in getting me to the station at Macynlleth and the offer of funds for coffee and a sandwich on my journey which turned out to be unnecessary when I found enough lurking in my bag for any emergencies on my way home.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank carolsoriginalprints
We are so pleased that you felt so well relaxed after your five stay with us. Reading your kind review it appears that you had many an adventure while you were here! Great that you mentioned the chapel across the lake and we are always indebted to Pete, the enthusiastic owner, for showing our guests around who like you are just stunned when they walk in. Since he bought this magnificent building a few years he has had a torrid time with officialdom but hopefully all that is behind him now and he will soon be able to breath new life into this ancient church at Talyllyn. We hope to welcome you and your family here again.
John - joint owner
Also consider these accommodations in or near Talyllyn
Penmaenuchaf Hall
The Slate Shed B &B at Graig Wen
Pen-y-Bont Hotel
Pen-y-Bont Hotel
#5 of 5 in Talyllyn

Been to The Old Rectory on the Lake? Share your experiences!