The Old Rectory on the Lake
Wynnstay Hotel(Machynlleth)
Brackenhurst House(Fairbourne)
  • Pool
  • Breakfast included
All reviewshot tubricky's cookingthe craig goch roomfree standing bathhosts johnmynydd rugog roomroll top bathstunning viewshuge bathroomcadair idriswarm welcomeeggs benedictbed and breakfastbefore dinnerlocal areaidyllic locationicing on the cake
Reviewed 3 March 2013

John and Ricky are both so brilliant - The location is beautiful, the room (Graig Coch) very comfortable and the food truly exceptional (take a bow Ricky). We spent 4 nights here as it was my 60th Birthday - and what a way to spend it. We didnt see the otters but we did have the Treecreeper visit over breakfast. Since we last visited, the owners have built an orangery breakfast room which affords brilliant lake views in the morning (and presumably at night time too when the summer comes). I was unfortunate to have a minor car mishap and strip the liner off my rear wheel arch - John came up with a recommendation of first class garage in Aberdyfi that fixed it really quickly (and cheaply) which enabled our planned excursion for the day to still take place. I dont often write any reviews, but in this case I can wholeheartedly recommend a stay in this brilliant little piece of Welsh Heaven. Dave Matthews from Longlevens in Gloucester.

Room Tip: Both upstairs rooms are very good - I have not stayed in the two downstairs
4  Thank DMat313
Snowdoniatraveller, Owner at The Old Rectory on the Lake, responded to this reviewResponded 4 March 2013

Thank you for writing this review especially as you do not do too many! It was great to meet you again and that you could see all that we have done since your last visit. It was our pleasure to share your 60th birthday celebrations and I will pass on your kind comments regarding his culinary prowess to chef Ricky.
Best wishes, John, who now knows what a Treecreeper is!!

Reviewed 2 March 2013 via mobile

I don't know where to start...on arrival we were greeted by John who welcomed us to his B&B & showed us to our room. The room was amazing, views over the lake & up to the mountains and the bathroom was sooo luxurious with a roll top bath with blue LED lights, perfect for a lazy soak! Ricky (the chef) cooked us the best meals we've ever tasted every night, each course we had was michelin standard & even though I'm a fussy eater my plate was cleared every night! The hot tub was gorgeous, freezing outside but we soaked in the tub under the stars for as long as we wanted, beautiful end to our stay :) Overall it can be described in one word as - 'amazing'! a must stay whether you live 5 miles away or 500 miles away. thank you John & Ricky for a brilliant stay...we'll be coming back again soon :) xx

Chelsea & Daniel (Liverpool)

• Stayed: February 2013
3  Thank ChelseaLeanne
Snowdoniatraveller, Owner at The Old Rectory on the Lake, responded to this reviewResponded 5 March 2013

Hello Chelsea & Daniel from paradise!
How can we possibily respond to this review except to say thank you so very much!
John and Ricky - joint owners of The Old Rectory on the lake, Talyllyn.

Reviewed 26 February 2013

Had a lovely stay at the Rectory, only wish it could have been longer. John and Ricky are lovely, really welcoming. Our bedroom was gorgeous, bathroom better than a five star hotel. The food was excellent and siting under the stars in the jacuzzi makes you feel a million miles from the stresses of city living! Bed was probably the most comfortable we have ever slept in. Would definitely recommend, we were sad to leave, hopefully we'll go back one day!

Room Tip: We stayed in Craig Goch so not sure what the other rooms are like, but if you like a great view and an amazing roll top bath, this is the one!
4  Thank Clare G
Snowdoniatraveller, Owner at The Old Rectory on the Lake, responded to this reviewResponded 28 February 2013

Thanks for venturing over the River Mersey and then the River Dee to come and stay with us. It was great to meet you both and we are so happy that you enjoyed escaping for a time the hustle and bustle of city life. Also pleased that - like so many who stay with us - you so appreciated the hot tub under the stars.
John and Ricky - joint owners.

Reviewed 25 February 2013

Have just returned from a wonderful weekend at the Old Rectory. It was a very cold weekend but we had a very warm welcome from John and Ricky. Lovely room and excellent food. Hope to come back in the summer so we can enjoy a pre dinner drink on the terrace and enjoy the lovely view.

5  Thank ansellini14

Thanks for leaving this review after your wintery weekend with us and it would be our utter pleasure to welcome you back here in the summer. I really appreciate the kind comment regarding my food.
Best wishes, Ricky - chef and joint owner of The Old Rectory on the lake.

Reviewed 23 February 2013

My partner and I wanted a weekend away for a few days, and we wanted somewhere that we could take in the scenery, mountains with some piece and quiet. That is exactly what we got when we arrived at The Old Rectory. We were met by John and Ricky and shown to our room, which was a lovely room beautifully decorated and the bath that was big enough for two people.The view from the window was fantastic and breath taking. Once we got ourselves organised we went down for dinner and the food was fabulous and the wine was great too. We enjoyed the food so much we decided to have dinner at The Old Rectory on our second night stay. Wish I lived nearer because I would be a regular visitor. I would certainly visit again. The only change I would like to see is cafetière coffee, good quality tea with fresh milk in the rooms, which for me would make a difference. Once you step out into the garden area, take a deep breath and enjoy the fresh air and the rolling hills and all the colours on the mountains. The weather for the time of year was perfect for taking pictures in the sunshine, and the reflection of the mountains in the lake. You can see the wild life there too, with birds, otters and there are of course the sheep, that came down to greet us. I took lots of photographs which will be a great reminder of our lovely stay at The Old Rectory on the Lake. Looking forward to another stay. Perfect.

Room Tip: I stayed in Craig Goch Room, which had a beautiful view of the lake and mountains. The bathroom was a large room and the bath was big enough for two people. The room was a lovely large room with plenty of space.
4  Thank Carole K
Snowdoniatraveller, Owner at The Old Rectory on the Lake, responded to this reviewResponded 26 February 2013

We really appreciate you taking the time to leave this review and thanks for all the positive things you write about your stay with us. We are so pleased that you had a great stay and have rated it so highly.
We take on board what you write about cafetière coffee being available in the bedroom but as we offer it for breakfast, dinner and on arrival we felt a change of variety may be appreciated. There is Welsh blended tea in the room and we can of course provide milk on request - we do not leave milk out as we do not have refrigerators in the rooms because of the possibility of them being noisy at night.
We look forward to welcoming you here again in the future.
John - joint owner