“The Old Rectory on the Lake is again spot on!”

The Old Rectory on the Lake
Ranked #1 of 5 Talyllyn B&B and Inns
Reviewed 23 March 2014

I can fully understand why this wonderful bed and breakfast has received so many complimentary reviews on here (incredibly for such a small establishment soon they will hit the 500 mark!) and it was great to return again to Tal-y-llyn. Ricky’s food was spot on and John’s videos really showcase the area. While I was there a film crew was busy shooting this year’s promotional video and got very excited when a family of three otters were spotted in the lake. Sadly they disappeared as soon as they saw the cameras!! I must not leave it so long next time and good luck guys with your 2014 season.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Snowdoniatraveller, Owner at The Old Rectory on the Lake, responded to this reviewResponded 24 March 2014

Hello Steffan it was great to see you again and many thanks for taking the time to post this review. Yes, the video cameraman never saw the otters but his assistant did mange to get some footage the next day! The Old Rectory on the lake promo is now up and running and getting many a hit. We really appreciate your kind comments and yes, please do not leave it so long next time. We hope that your canoeing career continues to progress and it would be great to say that we regularly have an olympian as a regular visitor!
Our kindest regards, John and Ricky - joint owners.

Reviewed 19 March 2014

Recently spent a few nights at The Old Rectory on the Lake before coming back to hustle and bustle of city life. I can safely say it's a place that'll take some doing to forget. The drive up to Tal-y-Llyn provides some of the most incredible scenery that Wales has to offer as you pass through the southern part of the Snowdonia National Park.

Once you arrive at the actual lake the location changes to this beautiful valley where a few quaint little hotels and pubs are dotted across the lakeside but the B&B is quite well hidden and on the opposite side of the lake from the only road that runs by it.

The house and room I stayed in was gorgeous. Cosy interiors, an incredibly modern and fancy bathroom complete with old fashioned white bathtub and a stunning views of Tal-y-Llyn from both the bedroom and bathroom windows.

The owners are a couple that run the B&B have put an incredible amount of time in making every detail perfect. My room was spotless as was the dining room, a very fancy extension to the side of the building that offers almost a panorama of the lake which looks gorgeous, especially on a sunny morning.

One of the owners, Ricky, acts as head chef and has provided me with one of the best steaks I ever had for dinner as well as a lovely traditional British breakfast the morning after. I'd also be remiss if I didn't mention the hot tub there which is nestled behind the property of a raised bit of ground so you can see out onto the lake more clearly.

If you want a real, proper break from the city then this is the place for you (as there is also no mobile signal so no distractions there). A luxurious B&B full of charm in a location that belongs on a postcard. My two nights there were made very special thanks to the owners who really do want you to have the best time possible.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank WrexhamWanderer
Snowdoniatraveller, Owner at The Old Rectory on the Lake, responded to this reviewResponded 25 March 2014

Again yet another amazingly detailed review of a stay with us together with some superb images. We just love the photo of The Old Rectory with early morning mist floating above it taken from across the lake. It was our pleasure to welcome you to our home here Tal-y-llyn and we are so pleased that you were able to escape Cardiff for a time and just simply chill out here. Good luck with the job hunting and we are sure you will find what you want - and deserve - very soon.
Best wishes, John and Ricky - joint owners.

Reviewed 16 March 2014

John and Ricky have a head start with the wonderful location of this lovely accommodation – on the shore of the spectacular Talyllyn Lake nestling in magnificent scenery all around and close to the historic Talyllyn Railway. We have been coming to this area of Wales for over 30 years and never ceased to be amazed by its world class beauty.

On to our stay at the Old Rectory on the Lake. John’s genuine warm welcome and exceptional service in a wonderfully, sympathetically renovated historic building superbly compliment the stunning location. John, with his avuncular bon ami was always around and nothing was too much for him from the tea and Ricky’s cakes (truly amazing) on arrival to the farewell wave when we left.

Our bedroom (Graig Goch) was well designed, spotlessly clean, had a four poster bed with gorgeous pillows, interesting lighting and fantastic views across the lake. There was plenty of drawer space and fresh bottled water and lovely biscuits were provided each day. WiFi was free throughout the property.

The private bathroom, in an adjoining room (part of our suite), was lovely and warm with fabulous lighting and choice of power shower or Victorian style bath plus beautiful, traditional slate flooring. The towels and flannels were fresh and gorgeously soft.

Breakfast was served in the wonderful newly built orangery/dining room with its authentic wood beams and sash windows and again fabulous views of mountains and Talyllyn Lake. The excellent breakfast menu ranged from full Welsh breakfast to smoked salmon. Five or six fresh fruits were available each day and the bread was amazing.

As it was a special occasion we had a four-course dinner one night. We had feared the main course might be “nouveau cuisine” with a tiny, yet supremely cooked, piece of meat; set on an extremely pretty arrangement of a few small vegetables. How wrong we were! There was plenty of well cooked, tasty meat with a large selection of crisp vegetables. In the end we felt it very good value for money. If you want something special just let Ricky know the morning or day before and he may surprise you! John says he loves a challenge!

If you love walking you’ll love this place. We didn’t make it up Cadair Idris but the walk around the whole lake, with its never ending wondrous vistas, was, for us, truly rewarding.

A truly memorable stay.

1  Thank JeffandLes
Snowdoniatraveller, Owner at The Old Rectory on the Lake, responded to this reviewResponded 17 March 2014

Hello Les and Jeff and what an amazing and incredibly detailed review you have kindly posted and we are pleased that your visit to us here at Tal-y-llyn made such an impression! Thanks for chosing The Old Rectory on the lake to celebrate Les's birthday and we are happy that she enjoyed dining here - I have passed on your comments about his food to Ricky! Indeed your comments about us both are truly appreciated.
Our very best wishes, John and Ricky.

Reviewed 15 March 2014

Ok, so where do I start, we spend a great deal of time trawling the internet looking for nice place to stay! I would never be so presumptuous as to call myself an expert but I would say that we are well traveled and have stayed in lots of very nice places in the U.K.
Right so now we have got that useless info out of the way I can start to review THE OLD RECTORY ON THE LAKE.
I can't pretend that I didn't have some reservations because a B&B is not what we usually do it's either restaurant with rooms or pub with rooms I was a bit worried about sharing some bodies home.
But I should not have been at all concerned I can honestly say that we have never felt more relaxed, the room was great not only was the bedroom large but so was the bathroom and it had a window, I hate bathrooms without windows ( just me).
We ate both evenings and although we haven't had tonight's food yet if last nights meal is anything to go by then in will be spot on.
Steak tonight, the puddings are to die for.
We treat ourselves to the hot tub you cannot beat sitting in a hot bath looking out at the beautiful lake.
I am sat in my room at THE OLD RECTORY ON THE LAKE writing this review looking out at the beautiful mountains and the lake, if you love Wales and enjoy great food and hospitality then this is the place is for you.
Try it I am certain you will not be disappointed, and if you are then you seriously take some pleasing.!!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple

If only I had not been so busy this weekend working in the kitchen and had been able to get onto the computer I would have been able to respond to this review by writing 'hello to you upstairs'! You are obviously a discerning traveller and to get such a ringing endorsement from you on here is utterly brilliant. I am so pleased that you enjoyed your stay in our home and liked my puddings!
Kindest regards, Ricky, chef and joint owner.

Reviewed 13 March 2014

I stayed at The Old Rectory last Easter for two nights with my friend.It was an absolute treat waking up and having a full English breakfast accompanied by stunning views of the lake.The food and service was fantastic. Also after a days trek up Cadair Idris there is nothing better than having a three course meal. The roast lamb was delicious and if you're a chocoholic like me the brownies are a must. Afterwards we both enjoyed a lovely long soak in the jacuzzi with a glass of wine! John and Ricky were an absolute delight and so helpful with local info and stories. I hope to return again sometime and have suggested it to all my friends and family!

Room Tip: Rectory Retreat. Spacious and airy with a double and single bed. Also the kitchenette is very handy...
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Gog73
Snowdoniatraveller, Owner at The Old Rectory on the Lake, responded to this reviewResponded 14 March 2014

Hello to you in Spain and we so pleased that your Easter stay with us last year was so memorable! It's incredible that you should post this review now as we have just completed a new promo video about The Old Rectory on the lake and we realise that you appear in it - albeit fleetingly! - chatting to some other guests that sunny morning before you started you great adventure up Cadair Idris. Thanks for recommending us to your family and friends and we look forward to perhaps welcoming you again to our home again.
Ricky - chef and joint owner.

Reviewed 2 March 2014

Just got back from spending 2 nights at this lovely B&B to celebrate my Birthday. We were immediately won over by the view of the lake from our bed. Thank you to John for his guidance over which walk we should take up Cadair Idris. After our 6 hour trek up and down this beautiful mountain in the perfect weather it was lovely just to chill out in the bath!! Ricky - your food was amazing! We will definitely be recommending your B&B to anyone who heads over to Snowdonia for a break!

P.S Really appreciate the free drinks!

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Lauren C
Snowdoniatraveller, Owner at The Old Rectory on the Lake, responded to this reviewResponded 5 March 2014

Hello Lauren, many thanks for what you have written about my food and we are so pleased that you chose to stay here to celebrate your birthday. As a present from us we were going to offer you both a session in our hot tub together with some celebratory champagne after your ascent of Cadair Idris but as you were so tired we never got the chance - so hence the free drinks instead! Thanks so much for this recommendation.
Happy birthday again from Ricky, chef and join owner.

Reviewed 1 March 2014

It was a birthday treat from my wife in the most perfect location to relax and wind down for a few days. Food was amazing, service was excellent with recommendations as to where to walk according to our level and everything on site that we could possibly need. We paid extra for the hot tub which was well worth it it to relax under the stars. The view from Craig Goch room was fascinating and the room itself was a good size with separate toilet and huge bathroom. We highly recommend this accommodation and would love to stay here again, many thanks to John and Ricky for everything they did for us.

Room Tip: Craig Goch room is big with the perfect view over the lake.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank RobW202
Snowdoniatraveller, Owner at The Old Rectory on the Lake, responded to this reviewResponded 3 March 2014

Thanks so much for choosing The Old Rectory on the lake as the place to celebrate your birthday and we are so pleased that you had such a good time with us. Many guests also say they really enjoy the hot tub under the stars - preferably with a glass of champagne in hand - and the evenings of late have been just ideal for that. Indeed we are thinking of starting a challenge to see who can get the champagne cork into the lake!
Happy birthday, John and Ricky - joint owners.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Talyllyn
Penmaenuchaf Hall
#1 of 4 in Barmouth
Dolffanog Fach
Dolffanog Fach
#2 of 5 in Talyllyn

Been to The Old Rectory on the Lake? Share your experiences!