“Pure Bliss”

Ranked #1 of 5 Talyllyn B&B and Inns
Aberystwyth, United Kingdom
“Pure Bliss”
Reviewed 27 June 2014

I can not even begin to write about my phenomenal experience at the Old Rectory on the Lake. Before I even arrived I knew this was going to be a holiday to remember. The Old Rectory is hidden behind the trees of the lake, putting you in a place where you feel isolated and relaxed. It is the only hotel which is off the main road allowing for total peace and comfort. I was truly amazed when I entered and was immediately greeted by John and Ricky. I was shown to my beautiful room, Mynydd Rugog, and was amazed by its picturesque views. The room was extremely clean and tidy, and the bathroom was one who dream for.

Now on to the food. I CAN ONLY STRESS, EAT THERE FOR YOUR MEALS!!! I stayed for 3 nights, and unfortunately on the second night I opted to eat somewhere else. This was one which I regretted deeply. Ricky's cooking is outstanding, each course brings flavors of perfection. The service is great, and the view of the lake is outstanding, it isn't possible to ask for a better meal. I wish I ate there all three nights, however it was a lesson to be learned for next time. In all, I can not wait to stay here again.

All the Best to good people at the Old Rec, I had an amazing stay!

P.S. The walk down the road from the Old Rec is one which no one should miss, It takes you an amazing scenic route down the lake. :)

Room Tip: I would highly recommend an upstairs room, if one is available. The views are amazing!
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
4 Thank WalkLobster
Snowdoniatraveller, Owner at The Old Rectory on the Lake, responded to this review, 30 June 2014
What an incredible and detailed review and I am an utter loss as to how to to respond to your kind comments about my food. All I can say is that it was a pleasure to cook for you and we look forward to perhaps welcoming you to The Old Rectory on the lake in the future.
Best wishes and good luck, Ricky - chef and joint owner.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (253)
  • Hebrew first
Newbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 June 2014

We stayed at the Old Rectory On The Lake for three nights and used it as a base to explore mid Wales. As soon as we arrived we could not believe what a fantastic setting we had chosen. We were immediately greeted by John and Ricky who gave us a grand tour of the place. Our room looked straight over the lake and was clean, vibrant and very spacious. We opted to dine at the Old Rectory On The Lake for the whole stay. What a wise decision this was. Ricky is a very good Chef who confesses to being self taught. All I can say is that he has a natural talent when it comes to cooking. Every meal was excellent and the presentation was first class. John was a wealth of information with some great stories and served good advice on the local area. As far as looking for a good hotel or B&B in the area just save time and book the Old Rectory On The Lake. I guarantee you will not be disappointed. We will certainly be back. Keith & Su.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Eatuntiligobang
Snowdoniatraveller, Owner at The Old Rectory on the Lake, responded to this review, 26 June 2014
Sue and Keith, I read this an hour before I had to cater for a large and rather important dinner party and your kind review just gave me the confidence I needed! I am relieved to report that the whole evening went very well but it's always is a bit of a worry that a dish may not turn out the way it should! Thanks for the amazing things you have written about my cooking and presentation and yes I am self taught. It comes from a combination of eating out at good places, reading many a cook book, the internet and watching 'Come Dine with me!' I now enjoy cooking with a passion and am astounded by what great things kind guests like yourselves have said on TripAdvisor in previous reviews.
It was our pleasure to meet you both and we are so pleased that you enjoyed the three days in out home and thanks very much so much for this ringing endorsement.
Kind regards, Ricky - chef and joint owner of The Old Rectory on the lake, Tal-y-llyn.
PS. I am glad that you did not eat until you went bang!!!
Newtown, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 June 2014

My husband's 70th birthday was spent here recently with the family and we could not have asked for anything more perfect. It is in a superb location with the majestic hills of Cader Idris to the rear and Tal y llyn (lake) in front. We Had such a warm welcome from John and Ricky we felt at home!
The food was outstanding, the rooms immaculate with roll top bath in huge bathroom. All in all an amazing experience that we hope to make an annual must!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank Maggie L
Snowdoniatraveller, Owner at The Old Rectory on the Lake, responded to this review, 19 June 2014
Wow! What a great review Maggie and thanks for leaving this. We really enjoy it when folk take over the whole house and we had great fun too during your husband's birthday celebrations last month. It was so good seeing all the family getting together from all over the place. Luckily the weather was glorious too which really added to the occasion. Thanks also for sharing with us that superb birthday cake shaped as a fish which was gingerly transported here from London.
It would be our utter pleasure if you made it an annual event!
Kind regards to you all, John and Ricky - joint owners.
Staffordshire
Reviewed 15 June 2014

My husband Nigel and I have returned home today after a superb weekend at the Old Rectory to celebrate my birthday. Although we have been visiting and staying in the area for many years, and seeing the house as we drove along the lake side, this was our first visit but it will not be our last. Reading the previous revues I don't really need to repeat them but to say that every word is true. The food cooked by Ricky is excellent, John and Ricky are attentive hosts and the house is lovely to stay in. The views are sensational and for my husband, a photographers dream.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank JenHstaffs
Snowdoniatraveller, Owner at The Old Rectory on the Lake, responded to this review, 17 June 2014
I am pleased that you finally ventured this side of the lake and enjoyed a wonderful weekend. It is also great to read that you wish to return especially as on the two nights you stayed and dined with us all three other couples had been here before - we are so flattered that folk return again and again! Thanks also for the kind comments regarding my food.
Again many thanks for leaving this, best wishes, Ricky - chef and joint owner.
cheltenham
Reviewed 13 June 2014 via mobile

Spent another excellent weekend here. Rooms are impeccable, prepared and refreshed to a very high standard (whoever does your housekeeping keep them!) Stunning location with charismatic hosting and beautifully prepared fresh food served with flourish.
The hot tub was irresistible after a wet and humid ascent of Cadair, although unfortunately we proved equally enticing to a host of midges on this unusually still eve. Never the less well worth it!

Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank lotty12B
Snowdoniatraveller, Owner at The Old Rectory on the Lake, responded to this review, 16 June 2014
It was great to see you both again and I have passed on your kind comments to the lady who helps keep our home so clean. This review is truly appreciated together with the photographs you also took during that weekend. We are glad you enjoyed the hot tub after Cadair and I will post that rather saucy image you kindly sent on our page of a facial nature. Again many thanks for taking the time and effort to post this.
Our best wishes, John and Ricky - joint owners.
Carmarthen, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 June 2014

This is the most brilliant place to stay, both in terms of the setting - the beautiful lake nestling in the valley like a secret hideaway - and the wonderful welcome and hospitality from hosts John and Ricky. I was looking for somewhere special to take my partner for his birthday. We booked the ground floor room but on arrival were upgraded without asking, which was such a generous thing to do and typical of our hosts who were incredibly solicitous and helpful during the whole stay. Our room - Mynydd Rugog - had a lovely view over the lake as did the luxurious bathroom (I don't know why, but the blue lights under the bath really pleased me!) and the bed was super comfy.
We arrived on a Wednesday when you have to eat elsewhere (there's a pub down the road which is basic, but okay) but the other two nights, we opted to eat at the Old Rectory and Ricky's a fantastic chef - the food was to die for - it was the best choice I could've made for a birthday treat for my partner. It also meant we could have a drink and not worry about driving elsewhere. Meals are served in a beautiful conservatory which was designed by the owners, in fact the whole place has been renovated really sympathetically, with a good balance between luxury boutique hotel and country home.
The place is ideally situated for exploring Cadair Idris, Dolgellau, Harlech and Portmeirion and we were given lots of information about the various nearby walks - the ruined medieval Castell Y Bere down the road in Abergynolwyn is worth a trip (stunning views), although Barmouth and Aberdyfi are mainly interesting in a kitsch, seedy way (we didn't find anywhere that did good coffee, though Y Sospan in Dolgellau came closest).
John is full of great stories and creative ideas and involved in local film making, so a kindred spirit for me - I can't wait to go back and stay there a bit longer next time. I really can't fault it, the only thing which didn't work so well was the wi-fi and mobile phone signal, but since I wanted to get away from work, that was perfect too!
It was an honour to meet Marion too (and her voice-over artist :-)

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank FfilmCymraeg
Snowdoniatraveller, Voice over artist at The Old Rectory on the Lake, responded to this review, 13 June 2014
I am the person who supplied the voice in the video for Marian - The Old Rectory on the lake's model employee. As you have kindly mentioned me at the end John and Ricky have asked me to respond on their behalf. They are just so stunned by this incredible and detailed review of your three night stay at their home in March and thank you most sincerely. Your posted photographs are superb and greatly appreciated tool!
Best wishes from me, Carol Evans, and of course Marian Fleece.
Croydon, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 June 2014

After a long wet journey we were greeted with homemade cakes and tea. Our room was delightful overlooking the picturesque lakeside setting. We had dinner on the first night and would highly recommend Ricky's superb cooking. John looked after us in the restaurant and was the perfect host, despite the use of only one hand!!!
Get John to show you his videos and the picture gallery of the lake at its best and surrounding area. (John don't forget to market your pictures locally, as we discussed on our visit).
The hosts were very helpful in suggesting local eating establishments and places to visit. We will be back ---- thanks from Sheena and Ian

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Sheena R
Snowdoniatraveller, Public Relations Manager at The Old Rectory on the Lake, responded to this review, 10 June 2014
Wow ....... I get two mentions on the run! It was good to meet you both and I am pleased you enjoyed staying at John and Ricky's home. I too think John's videos are very good but I am biased as I star in one - also available to view on Ewetube! I too keep telling John to market his stunning pictures of the lake and I hope you have finally galvanised him to do so. Thanks again Sheena and Ian for the much appreciated name check and I send you my sincere bleatings from my pastures here at Tal-y-llyn.
Marian Fleece - The Old Rectory on the lake's model employee!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Talyllyn
Penmaenuchaf Hall
Pen-y-Bont Hotel
Pen-y-Bont Hotel
#5 of 5 in Talyllyn
Pandy Isaf Country House Bed & Breakfast

Been to The Old Rectory on the Lake? Share your experiences!