“You'll be well looked after” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Gwesty Minffordd Hotel

Gwesty Minffordd Hotel
Ranked #4 of 5 Talyllyn B&B and Inns
Royal Tunbridge Wells, United Kingdom
“You'll be well looked after”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 September 2013

I stayed here for a night in order to walk Cader Idris. The hotel is in a perfect location to do so, being only a hundred metres or so from the car park used by the walkers.

The owner greeted me on arrival and even carried my bag up to the room. I had a small single en suite room (£50 b&b) that was reasonably well appointed, spotlessly clean and comfortable. Watch your head on the low beams, which of course add to the charm of the place. There was no television in the room, but that is probably the result of being in an area of poor television reception. The mobile signal is similarly very poor, although improves when you are a few hundred metres up the mountain; however, there are telephones in the rooms. Free wifi was available in the bar area, albeit intermittent, not necessarily through any fault of the hotel, but just a result of geographic location. So much for BT's plans to improve connectivity to the more rural areas. My room was towards the rear of the hotel and there was no noise from the nearby main road. That said, the road is not busy and has little traffic at night.

The small bar is cosy, well stocked for a small hotel of only 7 rooms and with a couple of draft beers; the residents' lounge is similarly welcoming. I ate an excellent 3-course dinner in the hotel (about £23) - plenty of choice on the menu, with food that was plentiful and very well presented. The food might appear to be on the expensive side for the area, but not when you have to live with the prices in SE England.

In sum, a good place to stay, in an excellent location for Cader Idris, but also for staying a little longer to experience the general area.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Minffordd, Owner at Gwesty Minffordd Hotel, responded to this review, 6 December 2013
thank you very much for leaving your positive & accurate review about your recent stay with us here on trip-advisor, we are all really glad you enjoyed your stay with us and hope to welcome you all back again soon.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Holmfirth, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 September 2013

If you are looking for modern then this is not for you - not a TV in sight. However, if you are looking for old fashioned values - clean, comfy, good ale, good food and personal, attentive service then IT IS FOR YOU.
My wife and I stayed for 3 nights and would stay again. The scenery is great, there are pleasant walks from the hotel and it is not far from many attractions and serious walks.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Minffordd, Manager at Gwesty Minffordd Hotel, responded to this review, 13 September 2013
thank you very much for leaving your positive review about your recent stay with us here on trip-advisor, we are all really glad you enjoyed your stay with us and hope to welcome you all back again soon.
Birmingham, England, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 August 2013

Stayed for one night as working nearby, found the drinks highly expensive: a can of coke £2, JD (single) and coke £5.50 (despite coke being part of a multi-pack) and a pint of lager £3.75. Found the Manager to seem to make up the prices as he went along, with no set prices on display as far I could see. Felt my conversation with my work colleague was being listened to. Another guest whilst chatting to me actually referred to the place as Fawlty Towers! There is no entertainment - ie any background music in the bar, no TV in the rooms or lounge and no Wi-Fi. Whilst I understand most guests are probably looking for peace and quiet, I do feel that being given the option would have preferable, especially after a long day at work!! Having read other reviews I expect to be lambasted by the owner for my thoughts and experiences as this is how he has dealt with other poor reviews! However, I'm simply being honest about my experience and not wanting other people to stop there and be bored to death! To end on a brighter note - the food was very nice, but also found it be over-priced. (£15 for a strogonoff).

Room Tip: Drive by!!
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Mincher2013
Thank for your reply you obviously don’t realise that in beautiful rural wales in the most stunning scenery you’re likely to see we have to make some modern day sacrifices unfortunately most of these beyond our control.

I don’t intend to “Lambast” anyone I simply respond to reviews as I see it.

We do display all our prices as it is a legal requirement they are situated on the bar. With regards to our bar prices, we are not a huge city centre pub selling 1000 pints a day, the price’s are based on what we are charged for the products and we have never had any issue in the past with this.

We do have wifi available in the bar area, It is not the fastest or best connection and often drops out this is beyond our control due to the distance to the exchange in this rural welsh valley.

We have never had TVs, even if we wanted them we wouldn't be able to get a signal either in this steep sided rural welsh valley. We usually do have background music not quite sure what went wrong here maybe the CD had ended

I do like to chat to guest in a friendly manner, most appreciate it, if I get the feeling that guest don’t wish to chat then I move on, I am sorry you felt I was listening in it wasn't intentional.

Thanks for your food comments, most people appreciate Darren’s home-style cooking, We usually charge £14.95 (sorry if you find this expensive but you will find similar steaks at much higher prices locally) for a local welsh high quality fresh 8oz thick rib-eye steak cooked to your liking with a home-made sauce or maybe traditional with grilled mushrooms, tomatoes & onion rings & served with fresh potatoes, fries & fresh vegetables all prepared to order. Sometimes Darren likes to use the same steaks for “ Beef Stroganoff ” ( they seems to sell better this way )
Cambridge
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 June 2013

We popped in for an evening meal on Saturday after viewing the website and deciding that it looked good and the reviews seemed good too.

Well we soon learnt the difference between fact and fiction!!

We arrived about 7.30 and despite there only being a couple of locals in the bar and a table of walkers outside we were curtly told that we could not have dinner at the Gwesty Minffordd Hotel because they were too 'busy'!!

In fact as we were leaving a couple asked us if we'd been refused food as they had also been told that they were not able to eat despite the fact that the rest of the party were staying at the Hotel!!

Apparently they had been told that as they weren't staying at the hotel that they would not be able to eat with the rest of their party - how rubbish is this?

Surely anyone with an ounce of customer service in them would have found a way - bearing in mind that this is only 7.30 in the evening surely even if it meant that everyone had to wait a little you would accommodate them when the majority of the party were already guests at the hotel?

We received a warm welcome everywhere else in Wales that we visited this trip - the Gwesty Minffordd Hotel was the glaring exception which was a real shame..

We drove a couple of miles down the road and had an excellent meal in the Cross Foxes and would recommend that you do the same!

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank basejumper
Minffordd, Owner at Gwesty Minffordd Hotel, responded to this review, 27 June 2013
Thank you for your very informative review which is full of false information and lies, very childish just because we were fully booked on the evening and you wasn't able to dine with us. Let me address your comments

At 7.30pm on the eve in question, we had a table of 8 guest dining outside, they brought some friends along for dinner with them, I was off to ask chef if another table of 2 would be a problem, which it wasn’t, they did dine with their friends as they wished.

Also for your information we had a full restaurant of 20 people and a further 8 in the bar and 10 outside all of which were dining with us. Usually we cater for 20 people in our restaurant on any one evening, on this eve we had further 18 to serve, all of which had made a reservation, unlike yourselves, Hence your bitter & negative review.

I also find it it hilarious how you left the same review on our restaurant page here or Trip advisor which I had requested to have removed, I will not request this one to be removed to show how childish some folks can be.

With regards to the score system you left us, that is quite interesting to.
Value 1 out of 5 - how would you know if you never dined with us ? << Malicious Score
Location 3 out of 5 - the building has been here for over 450 years not much we can do about that
Rooms 3 out of 5 - how would you know you didn’t get past reception << Malicious Score
Cleanliness 1 out of 5 - how would you know you didn’t get past reception << Malicious Score
Service 1 out of 5 - sorry we were fully booked so you never had the chance to experience service

I am glad you enjoyed your meal elsewhere, that is a fantastic local restaurant & they were welcome to your custom.
solihull
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 June 2013

i travelled with my son and daughter who had stayed before nothing to much trouble for this excellent host comfortable rooms good hot showers hot tasty well presented food fast efficient service pleasant company in the bar on the two evenings we stayed stunning location and good parking would arrange to stay again.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Minffordd, Owner at Gwesty Minffordd Hotel, responded to this review, 13 June 2013
Rita Paul & Sue

Thame, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 June 2013

We travelled in a group cycling from Severn Bridge to Menai Straits Bridge. We were very pleased to see this hotel set in a stunning location at the foot of Cadair Idris. It is also downhill for the last mile after a long climb on the bike, with a warm welcome from our host, and a tasty dinner and well stocked bar. I hope to return there to stop a little longer next time as there is a lot to do nearby, rooms comfortable and a relaxed welcoming atmosphere - a good get away location

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Minffordd, Manager at Gwesty Minffordd Hotel, responded to this review, 13 June 2013
Thank you very much for leaving your positive review about your recent stay with us here on trip-advisor, we are all really glad you enjoyed your stay with us and hope to welcome you all back again soon.

ps we also agree with you about the stunning location that Minffordd is set, in this stunning steep sided valley at the base of Cader Idris
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 April 2013

I stayed here due to the fact of its location at the base of Cadair Idris,a mountain i've been looking to climb and explore for a while. I couldn't have made a better choice ! The setting, the rooms, the food were all spot on. Sitting in the lounge with a cold beer in front of the fire after a day on the mountain was a welcome plus for me ! The owner Gordon was a welcoming host, nothing any bother. I liked it here so much i extended my stay by an extra night. I have no hesitation in recommending this hotel and i for one will be making a return visit.

• Stayed April 2013
1 Thank Kwakaman
thank you very much for leaving your positive review about your recent stay with us here on trip-advisor, we are all really glad you enjoyed your stay with us and hope to welcome you back again soon.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Talyllyn
Dolffanog Fawr
#5 of 5 in Talyllyn
Gwesty Gwernan Hotel
Gwesty Gwernan Hotel
#9 of 34 in Dolgellau

Been to Gwesty Minffordd Hotel? Share your experiences!