“A great weekend in Wales”

and 1 more site!
T'yn y Cornel Hotel
Ranked #3 of 5 Talyllyn B&B and Inns
Bridgnorth,England
“A great weekend in Wales”
Reviewed 24 September 2012

We have just returned from a weekend at this hotel. It changed hands about 6 weeks ago and the new owners are going flat out to get it back to a good standard after its chequered recent history. Four of us went, two couples, the men went fishing and the ladies walked and shopped. Staff are working hard to get the lake back to scratch but it will take time. We caught twelve brown trout between us on the day we fished but it is hard fishing as the lake is badly weeded up. It should be a lot better by next year and the man in charge is excellent, very helpful indeed and an experienced fisherman. They are stocking on a fortnightly basis.
The hotel is tired but you can only do so much in six weeks and they make up for this with the service, the food and the warm, friendly atmosphere.
We had a lovely weekend and are planning to go next May/June with a group of our friends.
Good luck to the new owners and well done for the effort you are making.

Room Tip: Go for a superior room if it bothers you that the standard rooms are a bit 'tired'.
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank alig7rod

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (83)
  • Polish first
Aberystwyth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 September 2012

Called for what we'd hoped would be a nice lunch on an lovely autumn day- but were served an absolutely awful pea and ham 'soup of the day'. Tired,tired decor - weed-strewn car park, rubbish piled up in skips. It seems the hotel is under new-ownership (see earlier entries) but it takes little effort to correct matters such as this. I find the new owners earlier comments on the inherent fly problem quite surreal really - the place is so typical of the poor standards seen in such places in this country, we must learn to take this business seriously. Such a waste of an idyllic position - siapwch lan!

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
32 Thank RaymondW87

Travellers are raving about these Talyllyn hotels

Gloucester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 August 2012

I've been lucky enough to have had a static caravan at nearby Woodlands, Bryncrug (first was 28 years ago). Great fun but when I've wanted a really pleasant, informal night with great food the Tyn y Cornel was the place to go.
I had "vans" at Woodlands for many years, making the 130 mile trip twice a month, often more......but always used the Tyn y Cornel for that bit of luxury.
I've stayed at the Tyn y Cornel "between" vans so on some occasions enjoyed a couple of nights with b&b&evening meal. Great value and very happy with the service/food/room....esp the suite....its like a small bungalow! Not sure if Beth-anne is still there but she's brilliant.
Two years ago I had a horror visit with my Partner. Yes, unaired room, dirty linen (human stains)....broken heating. It really wasn't nice. I complained by letter and had "no reply" for an answer. Not to be outdone I did a Company House search and got the names of the individuals who owned the Limited Co and its chain of other hotels. Writing to their home addresses did get a response (surprise!) and I had a replacement break on terms I was happy with. That visit was back up to scratch. Mind you, I did get a tale of woe from the acting Manager who gave me chapter and verse regarding what was happening behind the scenes.
I'm shortly to take a break from work....I tell my customers that "I'm going to find a field in Wales and scream!" (its been busy). When I've had my 5 mins yell at the top end of Dolgoch Falls I'm looking forward to putting my feet up at the Tyn y Cornel. (haven't booked yet but next few days I will)
Somebody will be trying to get this wonderful place back up to scratch given what I've read above. If there's something you aren't happy with.....just talk to the staff. They are locals, care about their part of the World, are so friendly and want to please us, the tourists.
For me, I've only been using the hotel for the last 28 years, admittedly irregularly, but one rotten visit two years ago (compensated for) isn't putting me off!
Unhappy punters might prefer Cockroach infested hotels in Benidorm as a better alternative but give me peace at the Tyn y Cornel anytime.
Andy Toohig

Room Tip: Front rooms and annexe face the main road which has the odd noisy truck pass at night. Recommend th...
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Andy T
Conwy, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 August 2012

My wife had booked this hotel as a stop off on the way home after a few nights further south in a wonderful B&B. The B&B we stayed in had a "Good Hotel Guide" and the Tynycornel was featured with pictures and write up. The description and pictures looked fantastic - wonderful location, views, atmosphere and food, a perfect end to our break and an exciting punctuation to our trip home...or so we thought. Upon arrival all looked excellent - shining sun and a location to take your breath away. We checked in and opened the door to our room (number 3 top of the stairs). Fusty, dirty, tired and dirty. It smelt damp and unused. A family room for a couple with no view other than a tiled roof from a hotel noted for its "breathtaking views" the bed was located in a dark light-less corner. The bathroom was dilapidated, dirty and unwelcoming. The windows held countless dead green fly and mosquitoes - awful. We asked to be shown to another room. This was done without complaint and it was explained that the hotel had been recently taken over from administration. The "alternative room" on first inspection looked better, a small annexed room (Number 4 The Cormorant) - however upon closer inspection the same infestation of dead green flies - at least 200+ all dead on the window sills and caught in the window nets. The bath plug had an abundance of human hair hanging from it. The shower had black & pink grout and a very mildew aroma. Sheets were dirty and holed. This hotel has seen better days indeed. Cleanliness costs nothing even if the rooms are tired. Having just come out of administration should they not strive to avoid the pitfalls that can ruin a hotel? You never get a second chance to make a first impression - this place is awful - avoid at all costs. It is such a pity as the hotel could be so much more.

Room Tip: My tip to choose a good room is - find a different hotel - this one stinks!
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
38 Thank Tim M
EdJDavies, Manager at T'yn y Cornel Hotel, responded to this review, 30 August 2012
Firstly, thank you for taking the time to review us on here.

Having spoken to the staff I can now comment. I can agree that room 3 does indeed need bringing up to date, but it certainly is kept clean, as are the other rooms. As I have previously commented, our housekeepers are working to deep-clean every room, and this is one they had done. Having stayed in the room myself, there views are of the tiled roof of the restaurant. One of the first changes to the website was to make it clear that not all the rooms have views of the lake and that it should be specified at the time of booking if this was important (to some people it is, others use the rooms purely to sleep in between fishing!)

As you quite rightly point out, we immediately offered you another room - a superior double in the new annex. Again I have to dispute the cleanliness of the room - our sheets are not 'dirty and holed', the bath did not have 'an abundance of human hair' and while there were flies on the windowsill, nowhere near '200+'.

The hotel is a fly-fishing hotel, with over 200 acres of lake. The reason why the fishing is so good on the lake is it's location, ideal for flies. I have inspected a room immediately after it being cleaned, only to check it again a couple of hours later to find a number of flies - unfortunately the solutions we've tried so far haven't worked. We are trying to find a workable solution that won't affect the popular fishing lake, and ask our guests to understand that there will be flies around a fly-fishing lake.

Sadly not all customers are understanding - as shown by the final 2 sentences written by a reviewer who choose not to stay (we didn't charge them the room or their deposit) and spent less than an hour with us, yet took the time to strip the beds down and remove all the complementary tea and coffee sachets. I hope other customers will see the exaggerations in this review for what they are.

We will continue to improve the business, taking on board all feedback, and as the comments from locals who pass by daily and regular customers testify, we are moving in the right direction.

Ed Jenkin-Davies and family
Banbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 August 2012

Lovely setting for this hotel on the edge of the beautiful Talyllyn lake and just under the majestic Cadre Idris.
Despite the new owners having been there less that a week, all the staff were friendly and helpful. The food choice for dinner was a bit limited, but I think that will improve as the new staff settle in. Breakfast was excellent.
Only downside was we only stayed 1 night, will go back and stay longer next time.

Room Tip: Get a room with a lake view.
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank daves750
EdJDavies, Manager at T'yn y Cornel Hotel, responded to this review, 29 August 2012
Thank you for taking the time to post a review. We are currently working with our chef and staff to develop a popular seasonal menu, trying different dishes regularly. We hope you come again - our new-look website will soon be launched and will have the menus on it.

Good to hear the staff are being friendly and helpful - such an important aspect of the business.

Ed
Frome, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 August 2012

We arrived on Friday afternoon and immediately were made to feel very much at home. We were shown to our room which was very clean and adequate. We then decided to have some afternoon tea enjoying the stunning views of the lake from the picture windows in the lounge. Other members of our family were also staying in the area and at short notice decided they would like to join us for dinner that evening - this did not pose any problem for the hotel and a table soon laid up. In all there were 9 of us who all enjoyed an excellent 3 course dinner with plenty of choice and cooked to perfection. Breakfast at the hotel was also very good and set us up for the day - again plenty of choice.
The new owners of this idyllic hotel are trying very hard to bring this business back up to standard and given the chance will do just that. We have no complaints and will return. Special thanks to Geraint who was so helpful and nothing was too much trouble. A great guy!

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank 5029
Many thanks for taking the time to post a review - we're glad you enjoyed your stay and your family meal and hope to see you again.
Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 August 2012

This has to be one of the most stunning locations for a country hotel...a lake, a beautiful Welsh valley with majestic mountains, a handsome (from a distance) hotel on the lake shore. I appreciate that this hotel is in the middle of changing hands (we stayed 18/08/12) but my honest advice would be: shut the place for a couple of weeks, got your act together in a reputation damage limitation exercise. In that 2 weeks, deep clean everywhere, interview new staff and land yourself a 'named' chef, refurbish the well stocked mature garden, and make sure all your drinks are in stock, and where necessasry kept at the right temperature. Sleep in every room to check the user experience - and replace the bed in Mallard - it is an instrument of torture.

The possibilities with this place are endless and it could be a stunning and profitable lifestyle and leisure facility, but it needs revolution, not evloution. And if you decide to sell again, please get in touch. I wish you the very best of luck - please bring this treasure back to life.

Room Tip: Don't chose Mallard - the bed is agonising. And insist on checking all other beds are not of th...
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with friends
35 Thank liz c
EdJDavies, Manager at T'yn y Cornel Hotel, responded to this review, 21 August 2012
Again, thank you for your feedback Liz.

I'm afraid we're unable to shut the hotel as you've suggested - a mixture of hotel bookings, functions and a bank holiday all make it unfeasible.

We have currently hired 2 extra housekeepers who are working hard daily to deep clean each bedroom and the public areas, whilst the kitchen staff are flat out deep cleaning the kitchen and storage areas.

Our handymen are getting through all the jobs needed to be done outside, which as you point out are sizeable to say the least!

Beds are top of our hit list and we'll be ordering new shortly. As you've suggested we are sleeping in each of the rooms to see what work needs doing from a customer's point of view.

As much as we'd like to be able to fix all the problems with the hotel over-night, the previous years have been hard on the property and Rome wasn't built in a day.

Hope to see you again
Ed and the Jenkin-Davies family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Talyllyn
Penmaenuchaf Hall
#4 of 5 in Talyllyn
Dolffanog Fach
Dolffanog Fach
#2 of 5 in Talyllyn

Been to T'yn y Cornel Hotel? Share your experiences!