“Horses for courses?”

Ranked #3 of 5 Talyllyn B&B and Inns
Canterbury, United Kingdom
“Horses for courses?”
Reviewed 15 August 2013

I have read the previous reviews with interest and it is revealing that Tyn y Cornel can prompt such different opinions. There is no shortage of people finding fault with all manner of things and I have no doubt that from time to time it has its shortcomings. It all comes down to what you are looking for in hotel. If a uniformly high ranking on the criteria applied by Tripadvisor is the aim, perhaps a national hotel chain, with swimming pools and fitness centres, is your best option. If uniqueness is something that you are looking for, particularly if you are an angler or walker, Tyn y Cornel scores so highly that the other things do not seem to matter that much.
I would be the first to accept my priorities in a hotel might differ from others, but I return to this hotel year after year because there is no other that I have come across that can rival it's spectacularly beautiful setting. I am happy to do without a swimming pool and fitness centre, the special location more than makes up for this. Horses for courses?

Room Tip: A room with a view over the lake and Cader Idris.
Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Billi0n

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (83)
  • Polish first
Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 August 2013

Lovely family run hotel in an area of outstanding natural beauty, our room was in a converted stable block,beside road with views of their own fishing/ boating lake. Our room was small but adequate,very clean and well kept, despite a few dated items in room. Fantastic menu available, lovely food. The only downside was there is a busy road between lake and hotel and we could here passing traffic from about 6am , .Would definately recommend and use this hotel again myself.

(Opps it does`nt have a swimming pool, could`n`t unclick button. perhaps you could dip your feet in the lake :P )

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank paul779
Norwich, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 August 2013

I used to visit TalyLlyn a lot when I was a child and learnt to fly fish on the lake and spent many a wonderful hour canoeing on it when I was a child.

On this trip I made sure that I could get back to the lake and area after over 30years since I had so much fun on and around the lake.

The Hotel I had eaten in as a child so even this was going to be a trip down memory lane.

We arrived at around 17:30hrs and had a really wonderful and warm welcome, which was much appreciated. A little humour and friendliness goes a long way and the manageress had this down to a fine art on check in.

We were told there were 3 car parks and when we parked in the one to the right of the Hotel we found it was on a slight incline which isn't so great for motorbikes, so I asked could we park them right at the top as that area was flat. I was told yes but please leave a bit of space for a car, I said we'd get both bikes in one space, it was comforting knowing the motorbikes were now parked on a flat level bit of land and this was really appreciated.

We were in room 2 which is upstairs, again I hadn't thought to ask for a ground floor room to avoid lugging all the bike panniers etc up stairs.

The room was lovely and charming, the floor had a definite cant / off level feel to it which was a bit odd at first but did add to the feel of the room.

Both room and bathroom were spotless. Plenty of coffee making supplies on the dresser too. LCD TV with good reception was also provided.

The bed was exceptionally comfortable.

I was a bit worried that the shower may suffer from low pressure but one turn of the tap made me realise that was not going to a problem! Hot water was in plentiful supply too. It might seem a minor point but I've stayed in hotels where the water starts off hot and then rapidly trails off to a luke warm dribble, not here....constant powered supply of hot water and much appreciated after a few hours in the heat riding the bike.

When we checked in we were asked what time did we want to eat (we had booked DB&B) and said around 20:00hrs. We we arrived downstairs and were given a menu to chose from.

The menu was not extensive and had mainly fish options, which was great for me but not so great for my wife who doesn't like fish - however that is not a criticism, some restaurants err towards one meat or another...this one erred towards fish.

I also prefer a less extensive menu as it means the chef is concentrating on those items and I have found usually a less extensive menu also indicates higher quality and presentation, this hotel and restaurant proved the point wonderfully and the quality and presentation was stunning!

I was disappointed though given the wonderful trout to be had from the lake across the road that trout wasn't on the menu.

For starters I had chilli prawns and my wife ordered baked goats cheese on a portabollo mushroom. Both of these were served after a short wait and presentation was wonderful.

For the main course we opted for the 10oz sirloin with chips. I ordered blue for myself and my wife had medium. Again a short wait and again the presentation was brilliant! Arrived with deep fried carrot (very tasty and unusual), fresh home made onion rings some mushrooms and a nice size bowl of chips served separately.

Both steaks were cooked to perfection and were full of flavour.

As I mentioned were on a DB&B basis, if we had not been then the steak was £18.95 per person, which initially I thought was expensive but given the freshness of cooking, the quality of meat, the presentation and all other factors this was actually a very fair and reasonably priced meal.

At the bar we had a lovely pint of beer and made the acquaintance of Freddie Fox, the owners dog who was a wonderful little character. The view from the bar seating had bay windows which looked out over the wonderful lake and mountains.

The manageress (and owner) was exceptionally attentive to all her guests that evening and was actually a joy and pleasure to meet and talk to. A wonderful host and we had a very pleasant and humorous conversation with her at the end of the evening.

The room was a comfortable temperature throughout the night and the bed provided a very relaxing nights sleep.

Breakfast the next morning was wonderful!!! A wide choice of cereal, yoghurt's and juices PLUS a cooked option - either full Welsh cooked breakfast or two fish options. We opted for the cooked breakfast and it was a treat! Sausage and bacon packed with flavour and one of the nicest pieces of black pudding my taste buds have had the pleasure of passing over them! A pot of tea and a great coffee finished the breakfast off in style.

We noted again the attentive service and genuine friendly service being given to all guests by the manageress.

When we checked in our luggage hadn't been seen and when we brought it all down to reception to check out both her and and her husband were most apologetic as if they'd known what luggage we had they would have told us there was actually a door which led out direct to our bikes from the 1st floor. As it turned out this didn't matter as we wanted to load the bikes in the car park right on the lake and it did suit us to bring luggage back down.

Check out was completed quickly and with some fun and humour from both owners, and he grabbed some maps and pointed out a great run for the bikes on our route with stunning scenery.

In the course of my life and work I have stayed at many hotels but this one has to rank in the top 3 and two of the others are not in the UK!

Wonderful location, genuinely warm and friendly service, charming rooms providing a very comfortable nights sleep and superb food.

My memories of the area from when I was a child were reinforced and my batteries totally recharged after a night here.

I had read the reviews on here before I went, but I was also aware it had recently had new management and to be honest I really wanted to stay here anyway given my own history with the area. I am glad I did not let the negative reviews put me off as the new management are doing a wonderful job, yes a few tweeks to make still (maybe) but given food and service I would say all is moving in the right direction.

We loved our stay here. We paid £140 for 1 nights DB&B - which I thought was excellent value for money when you take into account area, location and quality of food.

We would have no hesitation in recommending both hotel and restaurant to other travellers

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Ollossm
Warwick, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 July 2013

Arrived at 9.30ish after an 10 hours walking over the hills. We had booked three courses on the basis of arriving by 8.00. Nevertheless very friendly member of staff made sure we were fed and watered even though the kitchen had closed at 9.00.

We asked for sandwhiches next day for the journey over Cader Idris - plenty of choice and big enough to get us all the way to Barmouth.

Decent range of beers (Wye Valley, Purple Moose) while we were there

Fantastic location

Thanks

Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
4 Thank PabloMac31
Wolverhampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 July 2013

Popped in for a snack on Sunday, have known this hotel for 50 years but not visited for some time. What a lovely location - sitting on the side of the lake - a little gold mine. Parked the car and went into Reception (11.45am) are you doing anything to eat for lunch I asked we thought a sandwich outside? well probably the middle aged lady said, chef hasnt given me a menu yet!
So went back in a bit later and was given the Lite Bites menu - very plain but we thought the Hot Roast Beef Sandwiches with Onion and Mustard sounded just the ticket. They were £5.95 each £6.95 if you wanted a baguette but we opted for a sandwich. Whilst I stood in reception I looked around and saw that a dog was curled up asleep on the furniture! Then a chambermaid came in shouting what rooms were ready - very unprofessional. When they arrived they were on thin sliced bread, only slightly warm not hot as advertised, beef sliced too thickly and when I picked my one half of the sandwich up it all fell apart! It had a chopped garnish with it which was nice and fresh I will admit and a few crisps on the side. A couple shouted to us - dont have the coffee its so weak its like warm water so we just had a cold drink.
I went to the ladies before we left (very nice and clean) and thought I would have a look in the conservatory - there was no one about - the receptionist roared down to me - are you lost - told her no I was just looking at the restaurant - that's not the restaurant she said and walked off! If this woman is the owner she wants to enroll in a charm school - if she dislikes people so much why is she working in a hotel. The Hotel Reception looked like a rubbis dump - and would make fawlty towers look like a palace - we will never go back. What an awful shame.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
32 Thank Carol H

Travellers are raving about these Talyllyn hotels

Hay-on-Wye, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 July 2013

This was the first visit we have made to Tynycornel hotel but it certainly wont be the last. The drive there was great with wonderful scenery but when we arrived it can only be described as breath taking. Our room over looking the lake and we enjoyed our afternoon sitting outside the hotel enjoying the sunshine and the spectacular views. For our evening meal I had the freshly caught sea Bass served with new potatoes and salad, the sea bass was honestly the best I have ever tasted, my partner had the pork loin which just melted in your mouth, all helped down by a bottle of sauvignon blanc what better way to spend the evening. Everyone was so friendly staff and other guests. This morning after a lovely cooked breakfast we walked around the lake with our springer spaniel who was also made welcome (on a lead of course) we returned to the hotel very tired but the dog was still wanting more. A shame we only had one day & night there with Sheila, Robert & the staff.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Pam W
East Grinstead, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 July 2013

This was the first time I'd actually stayed at the once elegant and classy Tynycornel having dined there a few times many years ago. Sadly, it was truly awful and it was probably the most uncomfortable bed I've ever slept in - certainly the most uncomfortable bed I've ever PAID to sleep in. The food was poor, there were very few staff about (one chap seemed to be valiantly doing everything - he was doing really well in the circumstances) and worst of all, it was massively overpriced - like paying for a Rolls Royce and getting a clapped out Ford Capri with a wheel missing. We didn't bother with breakfast...Very sad.

The view from the bedroom window was nice...

Room Tip: Go somewhere else...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
30 Thank Jeremy L
Also consider these accommodations in or near Talyllyn
Penmaenuchaf Hall
#4 of 5 in Talyllyn
Dolffanog Fach
Dolffanog Fach
#2 of 5 in Talyllyn

Been to T'yn y Cornel Hotel? Share your experiences!