“could do better”

Ranked #3 of 5 Talyllyn B&B and Inns
St Neots, United Kingdom
“could do better”
Reviewed 6 July 2014

Two day visit made in June with my cousin with the objective of it being a fly fishing trip. It was booked some months beforehand and my cousins wife rang up the day before we went to confirm our booking and that a boat would be available for us to go fishing on the lake on the day we arrived, which was a Wednesday. We enjoyed lunch in the hotel and despite the fact it was raining we put on our wet weather gear, prepared our fishing equipment and went down to the lake only to find nobody there. Went back to the hotel and learnt from the only available member of staff that the fishing gillie was not working that day but that the good news was that the chef had the keys to the boat shed but the bad news was that he had gone out with the keys. By the time the chef had returned we had decided it was not worth going out. The owners returned that evening and apologised for their failure to make the necessary arrangements for us. Not really good enough. Following day we went fishing and the fishing gillie could not have been more helpful although in blustery conditions we only managed one sardine sized brown trout for our efforts. Both the breakfast and evening meal were good standard and room was fine for our couple of days stay although had to ask for replenishment of milk and toilet rolls. This hotel is in absolutely idyllic location and a perfect spot for general tourists and for fisherman. Just needs for the overall service to be sharpened up based on our short visit.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
20 Thank MALCOLM R

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (103)
  • Polish first
Epsom, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 July 2014

We went here just for a coffee and refreshment during our journey to mid Wales. The location of the hotel is lovely, overlooking the lake and with Cader Idris mountain to the east. The room where we had our drink was comfy, scenic, and quiet, there being only one other person there. We waited awhile at the counter, though a man was working closeby apparently not noticing us. My partner rang the bell, and immediately a pleasant man appeared from the back and took our order. All we wanted was coffee and a Welshcake, so expected it to appear quite quickly. Unfortunately we were wrong, and had to wait quite a long time until it was delivered. However, it was served well and attractively and tasted good, so no qualms with the food. Service could be improved though.

Room Tip: As we didn't stay here, we have no idea about the rooms, though a room overlooking the lake woul...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
19 Thank Rosy J
Reviewed 21 June 2014

We booked at the last minute to get away from the city.
We are only just reading these reviews now and I have to admit this was not our experience. The staff were really friendly and the location is idyllic. The breakfast was lovely and they were happy to cater for my food allergies, the coffee was strong and plentiful and there was some home made lemon drizzle cake for our afternoon snack.
We wanted to be away from technology so it was perfect to not have phone signals and internet in our rooms (it is available in the reception area with no problem).
The lovely comfortable chairs in the reception area provide a picture postcard view out over the lake which makes unwinding easy.
Our room was simple but had everything we needed - a comfortable bed, an excellent shower and the ability to make tea.
Don't discount this hotel due to the previous reviews, just manage your expectations about the phone reception and the simple comfort of the rooms. If you need a digital detox, you could do worse than this place.

Room Tip: If possible ask for a view of the lake
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Becks A
Maidstone, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 June 2014

Like many other reviewers, I have been visiting this hotel for many years. Sadly this is my last visit. I can tolerate the rooms being a little dated, as, like so many, the views and location are stunning. But this year it just seemed chaotic. When you book in, there are mounds of paperwork everywhere. Slightly embarrassing as recommended the place to 3 friend who also stayed. One of them slept in his clothes on the first night as his room was so cold. Admittedly, he was given another room the second day.
My room was dusty, wallpaper coming away from the walls and the shower of poor quality and water flow. Several lights were not working - all things that should have been checked prior to letting the room. On the second day, my room was not cleaned. I was aware of several other guests being moved to other rooms. One couple refused to wait for their evening meal, packed their bags and left the hotel - not totally convinced they would have been happy at the ritz! At one point, I think my friends and I were the only guests there although it did seem to get a bit busier towards the end of the week.
Many of the reviews are from people who seemed to have a love of this hotel despite its minor faults. Sadly,like me, those faults seem to be too numerous now to make it worthwhile paying £90 a night to see a lake view. I will stay elsewhere and visit the lake next year. I honestly believe that unless the owners take heed of the numerous bad reviews then this hotel must be in its final years.

Room Tip: Pick a room overlooking the lake.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
38 Thank Neil M
Wales, Wisconsin
Reviewed 31 May 2014

I have used Trip Advisor before to look up reviews but never become a member.I join now simply to warn everyone about this very tired hotel.I had wanted to stay at a seemingly amazing place across the lake but they were full.Stupidly i did check what others had written about The Tynycornel Hotel before i booked my much needed break and i realise now why they had many an available rooms!This hotel which i gather has lost some tourist grading stars should be avoided at all costs.The food was dire,the beer was flat.the room was filthy and the gentleman owner was just so rude to folk who like me had the:':audacity': to complain on checking out! A young flustered waiter appeared to be doing everything and he later told us that there was no spare money to hire a real chef and the elderly proprietor was running the kitchens.But the lowest point was when the owners dog, who seemed to have the complete run of the place,proudly brought in a dead cat! Dear Trip Advisor reader i am not making this up and we were all utterly stunned......as we looked on not knowing what to say another guest said that Freddie,the dog had joined him in his bed the previous night!Need i say more?

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
39 Thank eleri w
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 May 2014

Sadly this hotel is deeply disappointing . Set in the most beautiful part of the welsh countryside it has the potential to offer a wonderful holiday break. Our room deemed superior was relatively clean if a bit musty and had a beautiful view of the lake . However like the rest of the hotel it was totally lacking in charm . No love has been invested in this hotel . We had visited it many times under previous management when it was a thriving family hotel. - full of joy and fun and a credit to not only the management but to its stunningly beautiful environment . Now it is jaded ; curtains stained ; decor drab and unchanged since we last visited nine years ago . Instead of complementing the beauty of the lake it actually has a depressing quality which detracts from the lakes charms.
if I were running this hotel I would be ashamed by the quality of the service ; the poor standard of the breakfast offered e.g. Grey scrambled eggs and coffee which was so thin that hot water would have been a better option .
Hospitality seemed non existent and when I did venture into reception I had to negotiate my way passed a large dog that seemed to hover around the hotel .
I could not recommend this hotel now to anyone - a sad reflection on how good opportunities can be not only overlooked but spoilt by what appeared at best like total indifference to consumer satisfaction and at worst total contempt for hotel guests .

Room Tip: if you do have the courage to go to this hotel choose a room with a view of the most beautiful lake...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
35 Thank sandra_linford
Reviewed 26 May 2014 via mobile

Stayed here as a present. The first room we were given was the home of many spiders who resided in comfort. We asked for another room which was an improvement if far from scrupulous. The lack of care and attention is nearly criminal. Uncared for and although views are amazing this does not live up to a carefree stay. We had to ask for heating and hotwater. Alot more attention to detail is needed in this hotel which is rooted in 80s., shame the prices aren't. . The owner explained that flies mean lots of spiders. I felt like saying he should put rats in to eat the spiders! Pay little for cold, unclean and dog haired rooms! Breakfast was good though.

Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
31 Thank Gareth W
Also consider these accommodations in or near Talyllyn
Penmaenuchaf Hall
#4 of 5 in Talyllyn
George III Hotel
George III Hotel
#1 of 1 in Penmaenpool

Been to T'yn y Cornel Hotel? Share your experiences!