“With some attention to detail, could be outstanding”
Review of Babington House

Babington House
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Babington
Reviewed 17 September 2013

Spent two nights courtesy of a generous gift from daughter. Stayed in a large, well-furnished coach house room, with mezzanine bedroom reached by cast iron spiral staircase - which rather worryingly presents a hazard as the back of the iron/metal steps can very easily come into contact with face/head - and no padding (mentioned to staff - surprised no-one been hurt!)

Fantastic location and facilities - lovely sitting out in garden with drinks watching sun go down and ducks parade across lawn. Food great - service very patchy...seems to be little organisation, particularly at breakfast, where parts of order were forgotten/missed on each occasion. Drinks had to be sent back three times one evening as order wrongly delivered.

Corridor to room extremely dark (windowless), and on second morning corridor lights had been dimmed to non-existent, so making exit along corridor, down single step, then down steep flight of stairs potentially perilous!

While we were fortunate to be enjoying a gift, for the price of the rooms, not sure we would return unless management upped their game a little.

Reviewed 16 September 2013

I was at Babington House for a friend's wedding. I loved everything about it. The wedding was stunning and the decoration and layout was perfect. The service from the catering staff was great and the reception staff were also lovely and very professional but also happy to share a laugh with me about the size of my hangover.

I stayed in room 7 in the main house which was up in the attic. There was a huge roll top free standing bath within a sitting room plus a separate bedroom. There was a log fire which made me wish it was cold so I could have lit it.

Everything you could need is there including more than enough toiletries from their Cowshed range plus things you don't usually get like toothbrushes and toothpaste. There is also a set of hair straighteners to go along with the hairdryer.

I only really saw the main house and the lawn and wish I had had the time to explore more. A really lovely place. I just wish it was a little cheaper so I could take myself there for a weekend away.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 13 September 2013

The whole experience is lovely except finding a razor and screw driver in the shower cavity. At no point did anyone come to fix anything or did they come to collect it.

I emailed them but they didn't think it was a concern enough to respond...

1  Thank SorayaS325
Reviewed 8 September 2013

Sorry Babington but what is about to follow is a luke warm review and this follows my previous scaving review of a dinner at shoreditch house, so in my head I am saying goodbye to my chance of ever being a member....is this a really stupid thing to do I ask myself or should I just be honest?...I am going to be honest....we stayed for three days and the room we got was so wonderful I jumped for joy. I had dreamed of returning to Babington for a very long time and was so excited to get there. Pros: the lovely toiletries, sheets on the bed were gorgeous, decor in the rooms, bikes, shower heads, oh those bab h shower heads! surrounding countryside, spa and gorgeous lovely swimming pools with the amazing day beds. We were blessed with fabulous weather. breakfast was great. Drinks were yummy. Service was normally good a little haphazard in places and the ladies in the herb garden spa did speak to me a little like i was a simpleton when i asked them a few questions. Bigger cons: flies everywhere. Inside in the restaurants. Little fruit flies and also big blue bottles. Dead ones on the windows. What was going on? I expect that from pubs with low hygiene standards not five star hotels. We had a dead wasp in our room for three days by the telephone which was left there even though we were visited by the cleaner daily. I started to wonder if they were making a point?! Bikes are wonderful but limited numbers. You must do the cycle path trip into the countryside.....if you get up early enough to get one of the five bikes in the shed. Communal areas are too small and oversubscribed so there is no where to sit. Also the clientele seems more jeremy clarkson now a days and bankers with their wives then glitzy young and trendy like i remember and think of when i think of soho house. Majority of people there were late 30/40s. I felt like a spring chicken! It is still good for shamelessly rubbernecking to spot celebrities although everyone tries to pretend they aren't. The slight look of disappointment when people realise you aren't off the telly is still quite funny. Also it was unlucky for him but the waiters kept accidentally putting their fingers in my husbands food when they put it down. He still ate it but had a right moan through dinners and lunches when it happened. The food although good was quite average. Brekkie not as good as soho house or a patch on soho west hollywood and not as good as last time i went. There are just two magazines to chose from if your female (harpers vogue) and the dvd library is now tired. So if you kill the flies, buy more bikes, have a bigger selection of films, mags, up the food standards, turn down a few jeremy clarksons as members and remove the dead insects from people's rooms Babington is still top notch once in a life time country hotel trip that you will humble brag about and drop into conversation, but it made me realise there are other better more cheaper places I have stayed more recently that pip it to the post. Babington you are still pretty, romantic and lovely but could do with a spruce and a wash. Oh i also forgot to say you hear the neighbours and if they like to party be prepared to be kept awake. Goodness this review really isnt that good is it? But it so could have been.....also please bring back the hammocks! I went on about those and were disappointed to see they are no longer there.

5  Thank Julia7249
Reviewed 6 September 2013

It's the way one is treated at Babington House, that astounds me. For a moment, please try and forget the beauty, the magnificence of both the mansion and the park: I was welcomed with a great smile, offered something to drink, escorted to a room - a marvelous, enormous and luxurious former playroom with three greta windows on the park - and from then on, pampered as much as possible. More, even. It was a greta experience even if, alas, too brief: I do want to go back as soon as I can

Room Tip: Ask for the first flooor playroom...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 4 September 2013 via mobile

Stayed one night in the coach house, great room, everything you could need including lots of cowshed goodies. Very welcoming , friendly staff, food in restaurant average, great choice but all under seasoned. I realise this is a personal thing but I was on a table with two chefs who know. A thing or two!
Amazing grounds with very comfortable day beds and fabulous pool. All beautifully maintained.
Expensive but a great treat. Watch out for the 121/2% service charges, bit naughty.

• Stayed: September 2013
Reviewed 3 September 2013

We stayed here in July for a friend's wedding and on arrival were treated like VIP's by the uber beautiful staff (who were all unpretentious and extremely friendly, which is rare in such a trendy place). We were allocated a mezzanine room in the coach house block, overlooking the chapel -which was lovely and the rolltop bath made me grin from ear to ear. The products in the mini bottles are all included - and I am now a complete convert to the Cowshed range, which smells fabulous and works really well.

I didn't have enough pocket money for any treatments in the spa, but we made full use of the pool and steam room - it was just heavenly in there. Afterwards, I had a shower for about half an hour because it was so invigorating and I came out feeling about ten years younger!

We were mainly caught up with the wedding party most of the time, so didn't explore much and were too hungover the next day, but our room, the bar and the spa were all fantastic. I am now spending a fortune on interiors magazines trying to recreate that relaxed elegance that the designer, Ilse Crawford has captured within this little gem in the Somerset countryside.

Top tips? I booked a fantastic 2 hour horse ride on the morning of my arrival, so if you are horsey, or just want to explore Somerset, make sure to ask reception for details. I would say pack a few nibbles if you are the peckish type... this isn't the most 'foodie' retreat, we found breakfast rather stingy, but then it is a spa! It's just such a lovely place, I'm so glad I have been there.

Room Tip: If you are going with friends, book one of the big family rooms in the stable block - they are to di...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Babington
Bannatyne Hotel - Charlton House
#10 of 34 in Bath
Combe Grove Hotel
Combe Grove Hotel
#22 of 34 in Bath

Been to Babington House? Share your experiences!