“Luxury like you've never seen!”
Review of Babington House

Babington House
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Babington
Reviewed 7 January 2010

Get the Babs House taxi from Bath station and from that point stop taking responsibility. For anything. Breathe and relax - a lot. We were lucky enough to stay for 3 nights. Our room for starters was incredibly grand with high ceilings, a fireplace in the bedroom and the bathroom and views for miles. The bathroom had an amazing rainforest shower, bath, plus TV. Sumptuous robes you sink in to and never want to take off. We went swimming, had a short bike ride around the lake one morning (in the fog - fun but a bit scary!) and a few treatments at the Cowshed. The best was a surprise from my boyfriend - a giant copper bath for two, full of relaxing salts in one of the garden rooms - open up the doors and watch the gardener work away. The pool room and lounge were two of our favourite spaces. Get a cocktail from the bar, read the paper, pretend you're good at pool. The restaurant has great local produce but save room for the amazing desserts. Try not to cry when you realise it's time to go... :)

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled with friends

Reviewed 29 December 2009

I had wanted to go to Babington House for some time and as a start to a week celebrating my 40th birthday, it was a great excuse for my husband to treat me. We stayed for 1 night en route from Manchester to St Mawes to stay at the Hotel Tresanton.

I was giddy with excitement on arriving and a little apprehensive given there are some poor reviews on Trip Advisor. I just didn’t want to be disappointed. And I have to say, I wasn’t!

The house is beautiful and it was great to have an old country style house with shabby chic furnishings to relax and loll around in but then be able to dress up in the evening to sit in the cool bar and dine in the restaurant. In fact, you could dress up or down and not feel out of place. I hate pretentious places and maybe it was the time we went but, Babington House certainly wasn’t pretentious when we visited.

We had a room in the attic and or what was supposed to be the basic room grade was fabulous. We had a lounge area which backed on to the bathroom with it’s huge claw footed bath and rain shower (there was a separate loo!). Next door was the bedroom with huge bed and great views over the garden. I made sure I washed lots to get the benefit of the bath and the gorgeous toiletries. You even got a whole host of essential toiletries (deodorant, toothbrush, mini Cow Shed products) to take home. I loved the robes and flip flops which I have to say, I did venture outside in them to go to the spa but, that’s the great thing about Babington House - you can traipse around the gardens in your robe and not feel that stupid.

The spa was just wonderful. I had a divine signature facial and having been a convert to the Cowshed body stuff I have now been converted to the skin care range. My face glowed afterwards and I smelt divine after covering myself in Cowshed products. There gardens around the spa are beautiful and the whole place is really peaceful. In the active shed there is an indoor and outdoor pool. I absolutely loved my early morning swim outside with the mist in the woods and the smell of fresh air - fab!

In terms of price, our room out of season on a Monday night was not that expensive for what you got. Plus, there was even complimentary afternoon tea if you could fit it in - it did look delicious. The bar and restaurant prices were no different to being out in Manchester and the breakfast in the morning was wonderful and so good when you don’t have to get up too early to enjoy it.

I found the service really friendly and yes, I guess at the weekend in the height of summer with lots of children running around it could be a nightmare if you are a loved up couple. There are a couple of child free rooms but, if it’s just the 2 of you, go for a Monday night in December because it’s lovely, very grown up and we will certainly be returning.

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 December 2009

Ive been staying at Babington house regularly for the last 2 years and absolutely love it. I can see that some may find the hustle and bustle of dogs, kids and people coming and going a bit chaotic but I dont mind it at all. There are a couple of rooms where you easily can unwind and read your newspaper or book in peace. In fact I prefer it to be a bit busy instead of getting this absolute silence type place like the 4season hotels can be. But it of course depends on your taste.
The food is great if you like british food, you get the typical british dishes which are very tasty and I would also say good value for what it is.
I find the staff extremely helpful and friendly, but I think you may need to be a bit firm on your wishes so they know not to push you around. (I guess this comes unfortunately with being in the 'ubercool' Nick Jones family)
The spa is great too and since it moved down to the vegetable garden I find it is spacious and didnt have any problems with kids running around.
I would and am going back shortly and would recommend it to young families or young couples who want to enjoy british nature in a beautiful setting.
And yes the rooms are great! The beds are amazing and for a girl great to get a whole load of Cowshed products to use. The rooms are spacious too.
I would not recommend it to older guests unless it is during the summer when the outdoor space can be used more as it is quite intimate in the winter due to it not being a huge hotel.
Forgot to say that they also have a great little gym with technogym equipment. The only thing is that it's obviously not fitted by fitness experts as the room is filled with spotlights making the room extremely hot!

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 December 2009

We have been going here for years. First as a couple and later as a young family and sometimes again just as a couple when the kids were at their grandparents. We have always loved Babington House, so much so that we got married there (in the little church on the grounds) years ago. I was really suprised to read that somebody else found it pretentious as we love how friendly and relaxed the staff are.

The bedrooms are lush. Huge beds with lovely duvets and big pillows. As much cowshed products from the Spa as you can use during your stay. The showers are huge and we love the baths in the rooms but know from friends that it's not everyone's cup of tea.

The spa is fantastic, inside pool, outside (warm) pool, steam room, sauna etc etc.

The food is good but not breathtakingly amazing. Do try out the high tea in the afternoons, very delicious.

Our kids are always made to feel very welcome (we have 3 kids under 7 years old). There's a creche in which they like to play a bit, or in the main house they often arange pizza making sessions or other fun stuff. The kids love it there and we never feel our kids are a nuisance or 'in the way' of staff or guests.

This is the hotel we've been to most in the past 10 years and it's difficult to fault it in my eyes. In the summer you can enjoy meals outside, in the winter the fireplaces are on. It works in all seasons, we are fans.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled with family
Reviewed 20 November 2009

OK - so if you want a weekend in the country, but are really scared about leaving Soho....this is the place for you. I am well off, work in Soho and well travelled - this should be home from home for me......but oh my god its the most over priced, middle of nowhere and pretentious hotel I think i have ever had the misfortune to visit.
Rooms fine, staff polite (but please drop the "May I call you Matt" thing) and food OK but nothing to write home about.
Pool and Spa area pretty grim....not a patch on Four Seasons Hants - which is the same price.
It seems kid friendly....but I think your children have to be called "Cascada" or "Georgia" to get in - oh and they have to run about all the time, crashing into waiters and other guests (How come middle class kids are "Inquisitive" but working class kids have "ADHD" The grounds are lovely and (of course) you can borrow boots for walking.
They cant cope with the numbers - they open the place to day members as well as guests - ands this just seems to create absolute chaos.
A hotel at this price point should be effortlessly good - rooms, food, spa, service and above all, ambience. Babington House is just trying too hard and misses the mark.
So if you have £400 burning a hole in your pocket and want a night away....there are many, many much better places......but if you love being called by your first name, your kids are called Cascada and Georgia, you are welded to your Mac and really like 4 types of Granola and for breakfast......then hurry on down to Babington House........and don't get me started on the location

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled as a couple
6  Thank Oddlykeen
Reviewed 29 October 2009

I really wanted to enjoy Babington House, as I really like the aesthetic of the interior design—the mix of rustic country décor and 21st century design. But my primary experience was that the property is just too small for the number of guests, and the ground floor of the house, particularly the way it’s being used, generates a sense of chaos and frenzy that made me very uncomfortable. The main house itself is simply not very large—but its ground floor contains the bar as well as the dining area, and a single small corridor runs from the lobby past the open kitchen to the eating areas, so there is constant bustle as chefs and servers rush to prepare and serve food and guests dodge and stumble past each other and the staff to get through the house. And that sense of chaos pervaded the whole property, with kids and adults filling the small pool area, and the spa itself having a “relaxation room” that was open to the lobby and entrance of the spa building itself, so that people were literally coming and going and milling about in that small space as well. And I was there on a Friday in October, so I cannot even imagine what it’s like in the height of summer. I did like the design of the guestroom I was in, on the 1st floor in a corner with lots of light from windows on two sides, and beautiful plank floors and comfortable and stylish décor. But I felt like the only place I could be at peace on the property was shut up in my room, since it just felt that there were people everywhere, all the time. I had the opposite experience at Whatley Manor and Lucknam Park, each of which lack the gorgeous design sensibility of Babington House and are more conservative in design, yet ultimately much more relaxing and luxurious in experience. (And Whatley Manor’s grounds and gardens knock the socks off anything at Babington.)

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled with friends
1  Thank DaneP
Reviewed 29 October 2009

Spent a night there in October, hadn't been in a couple of years and had been missing it! Even better than we remembered - the new walled garden bedrooms are stunning.
As always didn't want to leave. It is expensive but always worth it.
Only complaint would be wine list not great and staff don't know their wines to recommend - dinner could also be better but at same time quite like the relaxed attitude ....

Stayed: October 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank gettingcolder
Also consider these accommodations in or near Babington
Apsley House Hotel
Best Western Plus Centurion Hotel
Homewood Park Hotel & Spa
Homewood Park Hotel & Spa
#1 of 1 in Hinton Charterhouse

Been to Babington House? Share your experiences!