“Would have liked to stay more than one day”
Review of Babington House

Babington House
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Babington
London
“Would have liked to stay more than one day”
Reviewed 23 January 2010

We'd heard lots of things about Babington, mostly good but some not so flattering, and we were pleased to finally get the chance to stay at the hotel to make up our own mind.

Our room was a duplex layout, lounge down, bed up affair, in the Stable block. We liked the modern interior and design, although squeezing a cot in near our bed upstairs was tricky and the lack of storage space meant our stuff was all over the room, all the time, which wasn't ideal. Nice big outside terrace upstairs.

There was a big bath/tub/mini pool thing in the bedroom, which was fantastic and a wet (shower) room downstairs, which my wife sang the praises of. There were lots of TVs, Playstations etc, which sadly we(I) didn't get the chance to use. Shame.

We felt the room overall was great, although some signs of significant wear were evident; not a showstopper though.

There seemed to be plenty to do here if you have kids; our baby was too young to take part, but there seemed to be a good creche and many activities for older children too. It appeared to be first come first served, and I noted some unlucky parents around the place who had got up too late.

I used the gym, which was small but well equipped; modern cadio gear, weights, balls etc. We didn't have time to use the spa or pools, all of which looked worth spending time in.

A nice lunch was had in the bar , when we arrived, and I like a hotel that does a good thin pizza. I took my after lunch rest on one of the large 'double' sunlounger/bed things, on the lawn. That was vey pleasant too.

We ate a quality diner later; a great steak , frite, bearnaise for two. Beer and good red wine was had. Straight forward, robust, well cooked food, and I thought of Jamie Oliver when it came to presentation.

There was a wonderful female singer in the bar that night, so I had a quick digestif there, on my way to bed. Memorable atmosphere.

Before visiting, we had built an expectation that Babbington was going to be maybe a bit self important, but hey how wrong were we. This is a laid back place, sure, but we were well looked after and it's a great place to spend time.

We like Babbington and will go back.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (114)
london
Reviewed 19 January 2010

A trip to Babington was something we'd been working up to for ages so we'd built up some pretty unrealistic expectations about what it would be like, but it really didn't disappoint.

There's no doubt it's horrendously expensive, but even so I didn't feel ripped off at any point, I'd even say it was quite good value because you really feel like you're getting what you pay for. Charging extra for breakfast when the room is already expensive may seem a bit much, but if I'd gone into any restaurant anywhere and paid £14 for that much incredible food I'd be a happy man. In fact we ate so much delicious food at breakfast we really didn't need to eat again until dinner time!

Everywhere you look around the hotel, every detail is simply note perfect and no expense has been spared. I felt the restaurant was excellent - not the most adventurous perhaps but they seem to judge the tastes of their guests well and serve good quality ingredients executed and presented flawlessly with genuinely friendly service.

The atmosphere is just so relaxed you can't help but unwind. The staff ensure you have everything you need and encourage you to stop, sit down, have a cup of tea, relax, read a magazine and pull a seat up next to the fire. And why not? There's so many different rooms to hang out in, views to see, newspapers and magazines to leaf through, and inviting remedies to sample it would be rude not to!

The only real downside was the process of booking a room - we particularly wanted to stay in a room in the main house as we like the style of rooms better and wanted to get more of the atmosphere of staying in the main building. However, when you book you can only choose "main house or coach house", even though we expressed a preference they made no guarantees. When we turned up we were given a room in the coach house, but luckily for us there was a cancellation and we were then able to move. There's nothing wrong with the coach house rooms at all - they're probably more spacious and feel like a self contained flat rather than a room, but they're also a little more modern and miss some of the character that you get from rooms in the main house. I'd agree with the member of staff there who said that some guests prefer the main house, some prefer the coach house, but when you're paying top whack why have the ambiguity and inevitable disappointment? Charge more if you need to, but you want to know what you're paying for when you book.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 January 2010

Get the Babs House taxi from Bath station and from that point stop taking responsibility. For anything. Breathe and relax - a lot. We were lucky enough to stay for 3 nights. Our room for starters was incredibly grand with high ceilings, a fireplace in the bedroom and the bathroom and views for miles. The bathroom had an amazing rainforest shower, bath, plus TV. Sumptuous robes you sink in to and never want to take off. We went swimming, had a short bike ride around the lake one morning (in the fog - fun but a bit scary!) and a few treatments at the Cowshed. The best was a surprise from my boyfriend - a giant copper bath for two, full of relaxing salts in one of the garden rooms - open up the doors and watch the gardener work away. The pool room and lounge were two of our favourite spaces. Get a cocktail from the bar, read the paper, pretend you're good at pool. The restaurant has great local produce but save room for the amazing desserts. Try not to cry when you realise it's time to go... :)

• Stayed November 2009, travelled with friends
Manchester
Reviewed 29 December 2009

I had wanted to go to Babington House for some time and as a start to a week celebrating my 40th birthday, it was a great excuse for my husband to treat me. We stayed for 1 night en route from Manchester to St Mawes to stay at the Hotel Tresanton.

I was giddy with excitement on arriving and a little apprehensive given there are some poor reviews on Trip Advisor. I just didn’t want to be disappointed. And I have to say, I wasn’t!

The house is beautiful and it was great to have an old country style house with shabby chic furnishings to relax and loll around in but then be able to dress up in the evening to sit in the cool bar and dine in the restaurant. In fact, you could dress up or down and not feel out of place. I hate pretentious places and maybe it was the time we went but, Babington House certainly wasn’t pretentious when we visited.

We had a room in the attic and or what was supposed to be the basic room grade was fabulous. We had a lounge area which backed on to the bathroom with it’s huge claw footed bath and rain shower (there was a separate loo!). Next door was the bedroom with huge bed and great views over the garden. I made sure I washed lots to get the benefit of the bath and the gorgeous toiletries. You even got a whole host of essential toiletries (deodorant, toothbrush, mini Cow Shed products) to take home. I loved the robes and flip flops which I have to say, I did venture outside in them to go to the spa but, that’s the great thing about Babington House - you can traipse around the gardens in your robe and not feel that stupid.

The spa was just wonderful. I had a divine signature facial and having been a convert to the Cowshed body stuff I have now been converted to the skin care range. My face glowed afterwards and I smelt divine after covering myself in Cowshed products. There gardens around the spa are beautiful and the whole place is really peaceful. In the active shed there is an indoor and outdoor pool. I absolutely loved my early morning swim outside with the mist in the woods and the smell of fresh air - fab!

In terms of price, our room out of season on a Monday night was not that expensive for what you got. Plus, there was even complimentary afternoon tea if you could fit it in - it did look delicious. The bar and restaurant prices were no different to being out in Manchester and the breakfast in the morning was wonderful and so good when you don’t have to get up too early to enjoy it.

I found the service really friendly and yes, I guess at the weekend in the height of summer with lots of children running around it could be a nightmare if you are a loved up couple. There are a couple of child free rooms but, if it’s just the 2 of you, go for a Monday night in December because it’s lovely, very grown up and we will certainly be returning.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled as a couple
oslo
Reviewed 25 December 2009

Ive been staying at Babington house regularly for the last 2 years and absolutely love it. I can see that some may find the hustle and bustle of dogs, kids and people coming and going a bit chaotic but I dont mind it at all. There are a couple of rooms where you easily can unwind and read your newspaper or book in peace. In fact I prefer it to be a bit busy instead of getting this absolute silence type place like the 4season hotels can be. But it of course depends on your taste.
The food is great if you like british food, you get the typical british dishes which are very tasty and I would also say good value for what it is.
I find the staff extremely helpful and friendly, but I think you may need to be a bit firm on your wishes so they know not to push you around. (I guess this comes unfortunately with being in the 'ubercool' Nick Jones family)
The spa is great too and since it moved down to the vegetable garden I find it is spacious and didnt have any problems with kids running around.
I would and am going back shortly and would recommend it to young families or young couples who want to enjoy british nature in a beautiful setting.
And yes the rooms are great! The beds are amazing and for a girl great to get a whole load of Cowshed products to use. The rooms are spacious too.
I would not recommend it to older guests unless it is during the summer when the outdoor space can be used more as it is quite intimate in the winter due to it not being a huge hotel.
Forgot to say that they also have a great little gym with technogym equipment. The only thing is that it's obviously not fitted by fitness experts as the room is filled with spotlights making the room extremely hot!

• Stayed December 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 December 2009

We have been going here for years. First as a couple and later as a young family and sometimes again just as a couple when the kids were at their grandparents. We have always loved Babington House, so much so that we got married there (in the little church on the grounds) years ago. I was really suprised to read that somebody else found it pretentious as we love how friendly and relaxed the staff are.

The bedrooms are lush. Huge beds with lovely duvets and big pillows. As much cowshed products from the Spa as you can use during your stay. The showers are huge and we love the baths in the rooms but know from friends that it's not everyone's cup of tea.

The spa is fantastic, inside pool, outside (warm) pool, steam room, sauna etc etc.

The food is good but not breathtakingly amazing. Do try out the high tea in the afternoons, very delicious.

Our kids are always made to feel very welcome (we have 3 kids under 7 years old). There's a creche in which they like to play a bit, or in the main house they often arange pizza making sessions or other fun stuff. The kids love it there and we never feel our kids are a nuisance or 'in the way' of staff or guests.

This is the hotel we've been to most in the past 10 years and it's difficult to fault it in my eyes. In the summer you can enjoy meals outside, in the winter the fireplaces are on. It works in all seasons, we are fans.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with family
Reviewed 20 November 2009

OK - so if you want a weekend in the country, but are really scared about leaving Soho....this is the place for you. I am well off, work in Soho and well travelled - this should be home from home for me......but oh my god its the most over priced, middle of nowhere and pretentious hotel I think i have ever had the misfortune to visit.
Rooms fine, staff polite (but please drop the "May I call you Matt" thing) and food OK but nothing to write home about.
Pool and Spa area pretty grim....not a patch on Four Seasons Hants - which is the same price.
It seems kid friendly....but I think your children have to be called "Cascada" or "Georgia" to get in - oh and they have to run about all the time, crashing into waiters and other guests (How come middle class kids are "Inquisitive" but working class kids have "ADHD" The grounds are lovely and (of course) you can borrow boots for walking.
They cant cope with the numbers - they open the place to day members as well as guests - ands this just seems to create absolute chaos.
A hotel at this price point should be effortlessly good - rooms, food, spa, service and above all, ambience. Babington House is just trying too hard and misses the mark.
So if you have £400 burning a hole in your pocket and want a night away....there are many, many much better places......but if you love being called by your first name, your kids are called Cascada and Georgia, you are welded to your Mac and really like 4 types of Granola and for breakfast......then hurry on down to Babington House........and don't get me started on the location

• Stayed November 2009, travelled as a couple
6 Thank Oddlykeen
Also consider these accommodations in or near Babington
Ston Easton Park Hotel
Homewood Park Hotel & Spa
Homewood Park Hotel & Spa
#1 of 1 in Hinton Charterhouse
Apsley House Hotel

Been to Babington House? Share your experiences!