“A welcome break” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Brent Knoll
Ogmore-by-Sea, United Kingdom
“A welcome break”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 July 2013

Having had a very busy day and needing to be in Cornwall early the next morning we decided to drive as far as we could the previous night and stop off for a night in a premier inn or such like. Finding Battleborough Grange was a great surprise. Much better than the afforementioned resting place. Room was good and comfortable, breakfast most acceptable and the staff pleasant.
A welcome break to some very weary travellers.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Peter T
Vincent J, Guest Relations at Battleborough Grange Country Hotel & Restaurant, responded to this review, 16 July 2013
Thank you for your kind review. We hope you made it to Cornwall safely and would love to see you again in the future!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
New Malden, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 June 2013

I had to book somewhere at short notice for a stop over in Bristol. This was the nearest room at over 30 miles away from where I need to be for meetings. So wasn't very happy. However when I eventually got here the Manager was extremely helpful. Alex I think his name was. Room was very clean and homely. The Bar/Restaurant staff were attentive and genuinely pleasant. The bar area was very nice and the gardens were well kept. I had the trio of sausages off the menu which was delicious. Lovely full English breaky to. Can't fault this place.

• Stayed June 2013
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Vincent J, Guest relations at Battleborough Grange Country Hotel & Restaurant, responded to this review, 16 July 2013
We would like to thank you for your kind review and we hope to see you again in the future!
Truro, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 June 2013

Stayed here for a family wedding overnighter. Great location, close to M5 and Bristol airport. Very good service, nice food and great price. Room was clean and tidy with spacious on suite, the shower was not working properly but other than that I would Definately recommend and stay again.

• Stayed May 2013
1 Thank Johnathan W
Vincent J, guest relations at Battleborough Grange Country Hotel & Restaurant, responded to this review, 16 July 2013
Thank you for such a lovely review. We apolgise for the lack of water pressure you had from your shower we are working hard to resolve the problem however due to wessex water carrying our ongoing water works we seem to be getting low pressure. We hope to see you again in the future!
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 June 2013

Booked in for two nights as working nearby. I checked in and was greeted by someone who sneezed and coughed everywhere - hay fever it wasn't pleasant.
I asked about hotel security and was told the front door doesn't get locked during the night but there would be somebody around during the night ?! Who ??
I was then given my room key - on the ground floor next to the toilets, close to the front door - room was pleasant enough but there was a door to the outside yard, but no key given for this.
My room key was broken so I had to return to reception for another key. So felt uneasy about broken keys.
Although I had a nice enough meal at the hotel and the place was cleanish, I felt on edge being where my room was.
As a woman travelling alone for work safety and security is most important to me.
Later in the evening in my room all I could hear were people going to the toilet and men in the bar drinking, and knowing the front door wasn't going to be locked and my room very close to this I felt very unsafe and not knowing fully any night security procedure.
I checked out later that evening (I couldn't even stay 1 night) I didn't want to ask the staff for another room as they would then would know I felt vulnerable as I felt like the only female there. All male staff.
A very male hotel - not good for travelling woman alone.

• Stayed June 2013
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Peppermintne61
Vincent J, Guest Relations Manager at Battleborough Grange Country Hotel & Restaurant, responded to this review, 21 June 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I'm very sorry to hear that you did not feel safe on your stay at our hotel. I can understand that you may have felt vulnerable and would like to assure you that we have constant security in the hotel at all times. Our night porter is male and we can understand how that can feel intimidating to a lone travelling female however our office staff during day ours are all female along with our bar staff. Our business has an equal amount of males to females. This should still be no excuse on your feeling of insecurity. To you and all other lone travelling females who may feel this way we will try and accommodate you in rooms better suited to making you feel more secure and comfortable and hope you will take this into consideration when you are next visiting the area!

Travellers are raving about these Brent Knoll hotels

Taunton, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 June 2013

I recently ate in the Restaurant with a group of people with several tables. The meal was a pork steak, rather dry with tasty roast potatoes but when we eventually got the vegetables, several of those first served on the table had semi warm food. The vegetables were a complete mess, all cooked together, broccoli, carrot and French beans. I know they were cooked altogether as I could see them being strained from the saucepan into a colander and into serving dishes. The doors to the kitchen were open, where we could see and hear the clatter of dishes. Dessert was served on oversized marble tiles. I chose the chocolate brownie which came out runny. When I asked for a change as it was not right I was told that that was how it should be. I was not offered anything else, so I did not eat my mushy brownie. All this for £12.95. Overpriced and whatever happened to the customer is always right?!

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Vincent J, Guest Relations Manager at Battleborough Grange Country Hotel & Restaurant, responded to this review, 18 June 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I am sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your meal with us. We take great pride in our standards of food and to know that yours way not up to standard is unaccceptable. We have passed on your comments to our chefs who have taken this into consideration for future diners. With regards to the brownie they are suppose to be soft and gooey in the middle this is the way they are served however that should have been explained to you on ordering the meal. I hope that you also took this up with us personally after your meal as we like to keep our customers happy. As you said the customer is always right and we would like you to know that your comments have been noted and we thank you for letting us know our mistakes. We constantly try to improve and value every review positive or negative. We hope you will come back and see the improvements!
wirral
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 June 2013

We were invited to attend a wedding at this hotel and stay here as well, we got the room B&B for £50 per night, its an old building so you are bound to get creaks in the floor, the noise carries from room to room, hot water was hit and miss ok from the bath and sink but not from shower?

The food here is excellent as is the service from the young staff, the hotel is well situated and scenic. We had about 100 guests and that was pretty full. Weddings can be held in or outside, staff do a good job changing rooms for each part of the wedding.

A good choice for a wedding, food excellent, service excellent, not too pricey, a good area to explore somerset just off M5.

Room Tip: Rooms are hit and miss, check for view and try hot water
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Vincent J, Guest Relations Manager at Battleborough Grange Country Hotel & Restaurant, responded to this review, 9 June 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write such a kind review. It's a shame that your shower was not up to standard. Unfortuatley due to Wessex Water carring out works to the water mains it has made our shower pressure lower. As from your review I see this didn't affect your stay and we hope to see you return again in the future!
Bristol, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 May 2013

My husband was best man to the wedding of Gary Toomer and Emma Mcdonald 18th May 2013. The venue was absolutely superb and as the weather was lovely the ceremony was held in the garden with wedding breakfast inside. It was so very lovely throughout the whole day with the staff doing all they could to make sure the day went without any hitches.
The hotel is set back from the road so nice and quiet with great views, plenty of parking for all and very well maintained gardens, dressed beautifully for the occasion.
We stayed overnight and found the rooms to have all you need and are clean and well presented, although they could do with a makeover as a bit dated. All that said it is a lovely place for couples wanting a quiet romantic get away.
As said by others, the TV channels were almost non existent which doesn't appear to be being sorted, which is a shame and a let down for the hotel.
The drink prices were not too bad (£3.50 for beer) apart from coke £3 per pint is way too much especially when it's only from a pump.
All in all, we had an amazing day and a lovely stay.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Taboo51
Thank you for such a kind review. We do now have all freeview channels working in the rooms and apologise for any inconvenience this may have caused you on your stay. We value all custom regardless of thier reason for stay and hope to see you again in the future!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Brent Knoll
The Royal Clarence Hotel
The Royal Clarence Hotel
#1 of 1 in Burnham-On-Sea
Lyncombe Lodge Hotel & Restaurant

Been to Battleborough Grange Country Hotel & Restaurant? Share your experiences!