“Place full of character.”

The Boat & Anchor inn
Ranked #11 of 28 Bridgwater B&B and Inns
“Place full of character.”
Reviewed 11 September 2013

Michael the owner couldn't do enough for me. Bar staff very friendly. Rooms are rooms. Could be cleaner but overAll enjoyed my stay. I would stay here again. Location is nice. My room looked on to the canal and fields.

• Stayed September 2013

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
Stourbridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 September 2013

Can't comment on the accommodation only the food. Happened to notice the Inn from the the M5 on our way to Devon, it was easy to find, ample parking and a very good location. The bar staff were very friendly and the service was great. Prawn baguette and chips and a chicken and bacon salad just average, nothing one could complain about and nothing one could rave about. Drink prices above average, food prices just average. Don't think I would return as I am sure there are better around

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Plymouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 August 2013 via mobile

Popped in here for an evening meal on the way home from Liverpool to Cornwall. Driven past the signs on the roof and haven't been in for approx 15yrs. Food was excellent and location was good. Easy to find and only a few mins off the motorway, beats a service station hands down

• Stayed August 2013
Macclesfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 August 2013

We stayed here in late July as an overnight stopover to Devon. We were made very welcome and nothing was to much trouble - The staff are a credit to the place and the chef and Michael, the owner, deserve a special mention for just going that extra mile to make sure we all enjoed our stay.
When we arrived we were allocated Room 2, the largest room as we needed a cot & extra bed in addition to our double bed (I doint believe they have a "Family" room) A very pleasant & helpful girl found us in the bar to ask what we needed and quickly provided a made up mattress, cot and plenty of extra towels.The room was clean and comfortable and had everything you need.
Bobby the parrot provided plenty of entertainment for the kids and we never felt they were in the way or not welcome - The chef even offered to cook earlier for them. Our little girl especially enjoyed her quails eggs garnish which she thought were mini just for her! We enjoyed a good meal after the kids went to bed - nothing fancy, just decent pub grub but well cooked & presented.
We stayed during the very hot spell and had to have all the windows open, we were concerned about hearing the M5 and getting a decent sleep but we need not have worried. We all slept brilliantly (the distant hum of the M5 is very soothing it would seem!) and our toddler in the cot would have slept on!
Breakfast was simple but hot and freshly cooked bacon, sausage, egg & beans. A few less beans and maybe the option of tomato & mushrooms would be nice. The cereal choice was limited but adequate and there was no orange juice - however I didnt ask for any either and I'm sure it would not have been a problem.
Overall an enjoyable stay where "good" is improved by the staff and attitudes and we would happily return.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the Canal seem quieter and the M5 is just a distant hum you dont notice.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
Petersfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 August 2013

Came here for a family lunch on a rainy Saturday. Although the bar was fairly quiet the staff where cheery and helpful. Meals for 6 of us arrived promptly and enjoyed an unhurried meal. The onlt downside was my dessert....the raspberries in the sundae were still frozen but still I enjoyed it. I can imagine on a nice bright sunny day then it would look a lovely canal side pub.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 15 August 2013

Booked this hotel via Laterooms. Or so I thought. When I arrived there was no booking at the hotel, (I had a confirmation from Laterooms) and they had received NOTHING from Laterooms about my booking. Thankfully, the hotel staff were great and got us in, and the place was very nice - right next to a canal.

I got no satisfaction at all when I complained to Laterooms. Just a bunch of lies.

My advice - don't bother with Laterooms. They are incompetent and disingenuous. Book direct.

Room Tip: Choose a room that overlooks the canal if you can.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 August 2013 via mobile

I stayed two nights too many. My room was small, the bathroom and shower even smaller. No shampoo. Cheap soap. Big pub, and on the face of it looked promising. But wait for it.... It shut early at 10pm. Security was poor. The downstairs door to the rooms was never locked and the door at the top of the stairs had a lock that did not work.

• Stayed August 2013
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bridgwater
The Walnut Tree Hotel
#12 of 28 in Bridgwater
The Old Vicarage
The Old Vicarage
#27 of 28 in Bridgwater

Been to The Boat & Anchor inn? Share your experiences!