“Quirky”

Ranked #27 of 28 Bridgwater B&B and Inns
Norwich, United Kingdom
“Quirky”
Reviewed 18 April 2014

This is a review of two half's.

First if you love old rustic buildings that are full of character then this is definitely a place that will appeal.

Second if you like a quiet modern hotel where you cannot hear the floor boards creek as the other guests move around, then this is probably best avoided.

For me I am torn on this hotel as a place to stay. There were some great points about it, like it's history, centrally located position and rooms are a reasonable size. A gentleman who I understand to be the manager was very good, but was the only member of staff that stood out. The other staff at no point asked how I was and seamed hurried. Even when checking out I was not asked if my stay was ok, just a passing comment as I was walking out the door to come back again.

Even though the rooms were a reasonable size, they were very noisy for me. The windows are single glazed and the sound that stood out the most was the loud cries of sea gulls. I am a light sleeper and it did not help that the dividing walls between the rooms were made of plaster board and you could literally hear every bodily sound from the guest in the room next door was quite off putting for me.

The beds were comfortable and importantly clean, although the bathroom was somewhat dated. Plenty of tea and coffee in the room was good and all the free view channels available on the tv. There is also free wifi available, that returned a 1 meg download speed, when I speed tested it.

The entrance to the hotel is extremely tight. It is an old horse and cart entrance, and certainly was not built with cars in mind (again its age and history of the place). I noted one other guest had put a considerable scrape down the rear side of their vehicle. I have a medium sized vehicle and took two tries to enter the entrance. Once into the parking area there are only about 8 spaces, that are not guaranteed, although I understand you can pay extra money and the hotel will reserve a space for you. Just do not arrive n a large car.

The restaurant area was again full of character but the evening meal menu was very limited and seamed quite expensive, but there are lots of places to go and eat within 5 minutes walk of the hotel, so plenty of options and choice.

The breakfast was good, with plenty of cereals and a cooked breakfast option and also a smoked salmon and scrambled egg option.

In conclusion I feel personally I would not come back to this hotel. For me as a light sleeper it is just too noisy with the plaster board dividing walls and the sea gulls. Saying that this place will obviously appeal to those who love old buildings with history who are heavy sleepers!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank jabe25

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 April 2014

Stayed here in the four poster room which is beautiful. Really cant say enough good about it. Like travelling back in time. The room was spacious, warm and spotless. The breakfast was really good too.
Its worth the little extra to stay in this room around £95.00 per night with breakfast for two. Brilliant.

Room Tip: Pick the four poster room
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Burnley, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 April 2014

Stayed in this place for one night whilst away on business. Was a little traumatic at first as I couldn't quite find it. When I eventually did, I couldn't find anywhere to park and then scraped my car trying to get into the very small entrance for the car park. I then rang the hotel to ask for their advice on parking and they said that on the street is fine until 9am (no space was available) or even on the church car park. Unfortunately Weight Watchers was on, so that car park was full too. After driving round for 30 mins, eventually weight watchers was finished and I was able to find a space. I was checked in and shown to my room by a lovely gentleman and I had a fabulous room. It was huge, with a separate lounge and dressing room. I ate in the bar downstairs and the food was wonderfully presented and delicious. It was the same gentleman serving and again, he was lovely and welcoming. The hotel itself is wonderfully old and rustic and I love that. Breakfast in the morning was also great. All in all, will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
Crieff, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 April 2014 via mobile

The Old Vicarage is handily located in the centre of Bridgwater, right beside the shopping centre, but quietly situated beside the church. The staff are very friendly and efficient and breakfast was fine. The room was OK - a little dusty and in need of a bit of TLC, but was well equipped. Very good shower. For the money paid (£69) I was expecting something a little more luxurious, but for a one night stay it was fine.

Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
dorset
Reviewed 25 March 2014 via mobile

Town centre location, lovely rooms nicely decorated, power shower off road parking great breakfast very clean highly recommend :) second visit for us as we have family in bridgwater and will be coming back!

• Stayed March 2014
Reviewed 24 March 2014

We stayed with a group of friends, 4 of us stayed in the annex and it was more than suitable! The room was clean with plenty of tea/coffee facilities, nicely decorated with a view of the garden (as it's spring the garden was a bit bare but I imagine it would be a perfect view to wake up to in summer). The staff were very helpful and friendly and I cannot fault breakfast, filling and delicious. If I ever had to be in Bridgwater again I would definitely stay here!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
Pontypridd, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 March 2014 via mobile

Just got back from a night at The Old Vicarage in Bridgwater, Somerset. A beautiful old hotel dating back to the 1300's in parts.

The hotel was of excellent quality; our room was at the top of a narrow spiral staircase in the oldest part of the hotel. We were spoilt with lovely extras such as tea/coffee/hot choc/cookies, and a gorgeous view of the church opposite. The bed was a lovely surprise - very comfortable, firm mattress & lovely thick pillows. The only downside for us was the room was very cold, enough to keep waking us up despite being provided with an additional double quilt. However friends stayed in the newer building & had no issues at all.

We all had a Full English Breakfast this morning with individual pots of tea - very quickly served, well proportioned & absolutely delicious.

Would definitely stay again - would've been a 5/5 for me if not for the issue with the cold during the night.

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple