“needs a bit more attention to detail”

BEST WESTERN Walton Park Hotel
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Clevedon
Winchester, United Kingdom
“needs a bit more attention to detail”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 July 2014

We stayed two nights on a half board basis.Lots of pluses --the staff all very good--the position excellent over looking the Bristol Channel--the bar and lounge new and smart--The food was in main good .However the room needed dusting,and there were signs of water damage and a stained carpet ,The shower whilst being hot and strong could not be adjusted downwards ,so you invariably got water on the floor.At dinner I asked for dressing for the salad was offered only olive oil.I never could understand why you can get fries in the bar but not in the restaurant.
There was a lot to like about our stay ,it needs a bit of paint and a freshen up ,and i didn't think the planks of wood propped up against the wall in the dinning room enhanced it ,and the WiFi was a bit intermittent
Overall the pluses outweighed the minus

Room Tip: ask for sea view
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank hantshawk
LatonaLeisureGroup, Guest Relations Manager at BEST WESTERN Walton Park Hotel, responded to this review, 15 July 2014
Dear hantshawk

Thank you for your recent review. I was very pleased to read that you experienced an enjoyable stay and that you found the dedicated team friendly and helpful. Your feedback is most welcome and your comments will be discussed with the hotel management team to ensure we maintain and improve our own very high standards and ensure all future guests and enjoyable and comfortable stay.

I would just like to point out that although our current complimentary guest Wifi is available to all guests as part of the current refurbishment we will be renewing the guest Wifi system and when complete this will offer a far better connection, speeds and security for our guests.

Thank you for choosing the Walton Park Hotel, we do hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back once again and should you require a future reservation please do not hesitate to contact the hotel directly or via our website so that we may personally assist you with your next booking.

Walton Park Hotel

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (368)
Exeter, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 July 2014

Having read previous reviews my expectation of this hotel were fairly high. The checking in process was efficient and the staff at the desk were polite. The room can only be described as lacking in character and in serious need of re-decoration and a good clean from housekeeping. The outlook was pleasant enough overlooking the estuary through a small attic window. The walls were marked and in places the plaster was damaged / cracked. The carpet was old and tatty and in need of replacement. The toilet had not been cleaned to any standard whatsoever and still had hairs on it from the previous occupant. The shower pressure / flow was non - existent probably due to the fact that the shower head needed a good clean and removal of all the residue blocking the holes. The towels provided were cheap and not of good quality. The hotel provided a well stocked courtesy tray however the kettle still had water inside it and needed a good clean. The TV was the smallest I have seen in any hotel I have stayed. Good points - well the bed was comfortable and the staff at reception were polite. I did not bother with breakfast and to be honest I am glad that I skipped it as feedback from colleagues who also stayed here was not positive at all.

Feedback would suggest that this hotel has better rooms available however I would certainly not return and have advised the company I represent not to use this establishment in the future. There are better hotels within this area with higher standards and are far better value for money.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank PK61
Dear PK61

Thank you for your review. I would like to take this opportunity to apologise for not exceeding your expectations during your recent visit to our hotel. Your feedback and comments our very much appreciated and will be used to help us ensure we provide a superior experience for all our guests.

As you have read from previous reviews many of our guests have had an enjoyable experience and found our guestrooms did indeed exceed their expectations and it is a very rare occurrence that we receive anything but positive feedback regarding our housekeeping team. I would like to point out that the hotel is currently having an extensive refurbishment with many of the public rooms; like the new Terrace Bar already complete and we are very pleased with the feedback we have already received with regards to the complete areas. The refurbishment will continue until we have addressed all of the planned and scheduled areas, along with our guestrooms.

I was very pleased to read that you found our dedicated front desk team efficient and polite and that you found the view and outlook very appealing and that you could enjoy a restful night in a comfortable bed. We are indeed very lucky to occupy such a wonderful location that offers magnificent views out over the estuary and many of our rooms offer such a view. In the very near future our external and elevated terrace will be complete and this will also offer superior views.

I would like to assure you that I will discuss your comments and feedback with the management and housekeeping teams at the hotel to ensure any areas that fall below our own very high standards are addressed and rectified as to ensure a comfortable and enjoyable experience for all our guests.

We would very much like the opportunity to welcome you back to the Walton Park Hotel and I kindly ask that you contact the hotel general manager directly on info@waltonparkhotel.eclipse.co.uk to discuss your recent stay and so that we may offer our personal apologies and also assure you that should you return for a future visit you will indeed experience our hotel and the service as we would intend for all our guests.

Thank you for choosing the Walton Park Hotel, we do hope you will choose our hotel once again and we look forward to welcoming you back and assure you of a superior experience.

Cambridge, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 July 2014

This was a very pleasant hotel that had a pleasant ambience and offered everything that we needed for our short stay. The hotel is in a great location overlooking the Severn estuary. Our room was very comfortable and provided all that was needed, it was very clean and well maintained.
A very pleasant hotel for a short stay.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
LatonaLeisureGroup, Guest Relations Manager at BEST WESTERN Walton Park Hotel, responded to this review, 11 July 2014
Dear D C

Thank you for your review. I was extremely pleased to read that you found our hotel offered you everything that you required to help enhance your short stay and also that you found our location, overlooking the water perfect for a short break.

Your feedback and comments are very welcome and I will be sure to share them with the whole team so that we may continue to provide a superior experience for all our guests.

Thank you for choosing the Walton Park Hotel, we do hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back again soon.

Cropwell Bishop, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 July 2014

A two night stay at the Walton for a family event with friends on a B&B basis. Once again I can report on excellent friendly service. A varied hot and cold buffet with coffee was supplied, there was plenty for everyone. I can recommend their excellent breakfast.

Room Tip: Ask for sea view room in the 500's then you won't suffer from overhead creaking floorboards.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Dear xippix

Thank you for your recent review. I was thrilled to read that once again you enjoyed your two night stay with us and had a thoroughly enjoyable family event. I was also very pleased to read that the dedicated team could help make your stay that little more enjoyable and memorable, I will be sure to pass on your comments and I know they will all be very pleased to read them.

Thank you for choosing the Walton Park Hotel, we do hope to welcome you back once again and should you require any future reservations please do not hesitate to contact the hotel directly or via our website so that we may personally assist you.

Brighton
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 July 2014 via mobile

We visited the Walton park for anniversary / birthday treat on June 30th for 3 nights. On arrival there was a lot of activity due to filming of Broadchurch in the hotel. We had to check in via an alternative entrance with access to public areas restricted and the car park congested with film crew. Room 408 has magnificent views over the Severn estuary towards Newport and Cardiff. The decor of the hotel is that of an old building that has been updated to a not particularly high standard. I think a job lot of magnolia was purchased its everywhere. Another small gripe is that after reserving our evening meal for 7.30 on our anniversary we were bumped back to 8.15 "because of a function". The food itself was good although a bit more choice on the breakfast menu wouldn't go amiss.
Location wise this hotel is well situated with easy access to buses right outside. The X5 takes you to Weston supermare hourly ( about a 1hour journey ) and the X6 to Bristol town centre half hourly (about 45 mins). Don't forget your bus pass.
All in all a convenient hotel in a pleasant location that needs to consider the needs of paying guests against corporate business.

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Paulsalloum

Thank you for your review. I was very pleased to read that you found our hotels location convenient and very pleasant during your recent stay and that you found the views magnificent from your guest room. I would however like to offer my apologies for any inconveniences experienced during your stay and I can assure you that your comments and feedback are very much appreciated and will be used to ensure we offer a superior experience to all our guests.

The hotel is currently undergoing an extensive refurbishment and we would like the opportunity to welcome you back following the completion, so that you may experience our period property in all its grandeur. Should you wish to make a future reservation please do not hesitate to contact the hotel directly or via our website as we would personally like to assist you with your next booking.

Thank you for choosing the Walton Park Hotel. We do hope to see you again soon.

UK
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 July 2014

Arrived at midnight (as planned), to find no receptionist. Eventually someone turned up. Constant dripping noise all night. Woke up at 7am due to the noise. Shower would not get hot at all. I opened my room door to find the ceiling just about to collapse, with bucket catching water. (See pics I added). Could not wait to get out of the place, so skipped breakfast and went on my way. Luckily I had only planned to stay one night, but even if I did not have, I would have moved on.

Room Tip: I had 504, outside of the door, is the pics I have attached. Be warned.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
5 Thank Leeb7519
LatonaLeisureGroup, Guest Relations Manager at BEST WESTERN Walton Park Hotel, responded to this review, 4 July 2014
Dear Leeb7519

Thank you for your review. I would like to start by apologising for not meeting your expectations during your recent visit to our hotel, you feedback is most welcome and will be shared and used by the management team at the hotel to ensure we provide a superior experience for all our guests.

The hotel does operate a 24 hour check in facility but unfortunately the team member was away from the desk attending to another guest when you first arrived at the hotel, I was very glad to read that you were not kept waiting too long. Please accept my sincere apologies for any inconvenience caused due to the issue outside of your allocated guest room. This particular issue has been somewhat problematic, as the origin of the leak was very difficult to locate. However I can assure you that we have now fully rectified the situation and along with the current refurbishments taking place the damaged area will be repaired.

The hotel is currently undergoing extensive refurbishment and I see from your review that due to your late arrival and early check out you did not have the opportunity to experience our new Terrace bar, lounge and bistro or the rejuvenated lounges and other public areas that have so far been completed. We are extremely excited about the new external and elevated terrace currently being installed and when complete this will offer fantastic views out across the estuary and a tranquil area to sit and enjoy our new Terrace Menu.

We would very much like the opportunity to welcome you back again and personally meet with you so that we may discuss your recent stay and also offer you a tour of the hotel and already completed areas following the refurbishments. Should you require accommodation in the area again please contact the hotel general manager directly who will be only too pleased to assist you with a future reservation and assure you of a comfortable and enjoyable experience that will certainly exceed your expectations.

Thank you for choosing the Walton Park Hotel, we look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Walton Park Hotel
Also consider these accommodations in or near Clevedon
DoubleTree by Hilton Bristol South - Cadbury House
BEST WESTERN Limpley Stoke Hotel
Days Inn Bristol M5
Days Inn Bristol M5
#1 of 1 in Easton-in-Gordano

Been to BEST WESTERN Walton Park Hotel? Share your experiences!