“From Argh to ooh”

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Clevedon
Walsall, United Kingdom
“From Argh to ooh”
Reviewed 14 August 2014

The plan was to have a ride down to Weston Super Mare, to give Fred, my father in law, a late morning and early afternoon of wandering about and looking at the sights in the summer sunshine as he wanted to see the place again after many years, then have a night over somewhere, then the following day head off to take a look at the Noah's Ark Farm Zoo.

We all know about ‘best laid plans’, they go wrong. The M5 had been stop start through roadwork's and a minor shunt outside Bristol, so the journey took an hour longer than planned, the sunshine had given way to blustering weather and rainy squalls and added to this, Weston was a bit grim - not much fun at all.

So by the time we arrived at the Best Western Walton Park Hotel the three of us were a bit stressed out as the day so far had been nothing but argh! Fortunately, the Walton Park began to give us an ooh, that’s better feeling. We liked the hotel from the moment we arrived.

I wouldn’t say this hotel is like an old lady that has seen better days, more like a graceful old girl that is showing her age but still with a certain and appealing style. The hotel is situated above the town with great views across the Bristol Channel to the South Wales coast, the staff are both friendly and helpful and despite being in need of a bit of TLC, it still has a nice feel about it. My wife fell in love with the ancient lift, which reminded us of the Grace Brothers lift from the TV show, ‘Are you being served?’. And with her 87 year old father, who is unsteady walking, the quaint old lift was essential.

Our two rooms were generally good, but sadly let down by the cleaning staff as glass tops had not been wiped down properly as there were still marks on them - they need to improve on that as the rooms were otherwise generally clean and there was no complaint about the laundry and bed linen.

The hotel has a nice restaurant with a choice of three or two course meals. However, we decided to eat on the evening in the Moon & Sixpence pub we had seen earlier on the front at Clevedon, which is a nice and very quiet place to visit. We then returned to the hotel and had a drink in the pleasant hotel bar and watched the sun set over the choppy waters below.

After a good nights sleep in a comfortable bed we enjoyed our buffet breakfast with a good choice of hot food as well as cereals. On checking out we spoke of our plans to visit the zoo to the helpful receptionist and being unsure what to do due to the weather, she gave us details of a National Trust property to visit if the weather did not improve. Fortunately, the rain held off and our visit to the zoo gave us a pleasant couple of hours before heading back home.

Clevedon is a sedate and pleasant place, if we ever return I will have no problem with spending more time in the Walton Park Hotel again, especially as the price for our B&B stay was reasonable too.

Room Tip: We were at the front of the hotel, the rooms at the back overlook the sea and have better views.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
LatonaLeisureGroup, Guest Relations Manager at Best Western Walton Park Hotel, responded to this review, 15 August 2014
Dear Derek B

Thank you for your review. I was very pleased to read that our hotel and staff could afford you an ‘ooh, that’s better feeling’ on your arrival and that your experience of our period Victorian property was a pleasant respite from a day that didn’t quite follow your original plan. The dedicated team at the hotel pride themselves on the level of customer service they provide and it is always a pleasure to read when this has helped make a guests stay that little more comfortable and enjoyable. I will be sure to share your comments with all concerned.

You feedback is very much appreciated and will be used to help enhance our standards and services. I will inform the housekeeping department of your comments regarding the glass tops and I know they will ensure this will not be present again in the future, I do hope this did not detract too much from your overall enjoyment of your stay.

Thank you for choosing the Walton Park Hotel, we do look forward to welcoming you back again very soon. On you next visit to the area please do not hesitate to contact the hotel directly or via our website as we would personally like to assist you with any future reservations or information requests you may have regarding the local and surrounding area.

Walton Park Hotel

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (376)
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 August 2014

I love faded grandeur hotels, and booked into this one with high expectations. It is a big stone Victorian pile on the cliff overlooking the Bristol Channel, at the end of a quiet road (10 minutes walk to the Pier). It has a nice garden overlooking the sea. Reception was grand and imposing, and we liked the lift!
Our room was high-ceilinged and enormous, with direct sea views. We could lie in bed watching the sea and the sky with no need to draw the curtains. Bed was also enormous, and comfortable. Everything in the bedroom was present, working and clean.
In the evening we had a bar meal downstairs in the refurbished bar, again sitting looking out to sea, watching the sunset. It was good value and good quality. Breakfast was served in the cavernous dining room - good buffet selection. Don't visit this hotel if you want modern, bland and soulless, do visit if you are willing to overlook the odd damp patch on the ceiling in favour of character, fabulous views and good value for money.

Room Tip: You have to have a sea view room. Ours was on 4th level above the dining room. Some rooms are on flo...
Dear stephogrunt

Thank you for your review. I was thrilled to read that you thoroughly enjoyed your stay in our period Victorian property and took full advantage of the spectacular views from your guestroom and the many public areas. Your feedback is very much appreciated and I will certainly share it with the management and dedicated team at the hotel, who I know will be as thrilled as I was to read your comments.

Kind regards
cornwall, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 August 2014

This is a very well placed Hotel with good access to town. I would recommend this Hotel helpful staff the room had excellent views. The breakfast was outstanding and all for a good price overall a good experience. I would stay in this hotel again.

Review collected in partnership with Best Western GB

LatonaLeisureGroup, Guest Relations Manager at Best Western Walton Park Hotel, responded to this review, 14 August 2014
Dear Julia B

Thank you for your kind review. I was very pleased to read that you would certainly recommend our hotel and that you would stay again when next visiting the area. The dedicated staff at the hotel pride themselves on the level of customer service they provide, it is always a pleasure to read when we have been able to make a guests stay that little more comfortable, memorable and enjoyable.

Thank you for choosing the Walton Park Hotel, we do hope we have the pleasure to welcome you back again soon. Should you require accommodation in the area again please do not hesitate to contact the hotel directly or via our website as we would personally like to assist you with any future reservations.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 August 2014

I stayed here for two nights to attend a wedding in nearby Nailsea followed by a Reception at the Walton Castle just up the road. The hotel is a very imposing building with a fabulous Reception area and amazing gardens. As you walk through the downstairs what you really notice is the tasteful refurbishment of the communal areas - chandeliers, comfy sofas, regal rugs; a well laid out relatively formal dining room and a wonderful bar area which serves lovely food. All these public areas have huge Victorian windows which display the Severn Estuary, welsh hills and incredible skies - you can just sit and watch the view as it is forever changing. My room was comfortable and clean with again an amazing picture window displaying a fabulous view and all the amenities that are expected of this standard hotel. The rooms are tired but I believe are all going to be refurbished on a rotating basis. The upstairs is also tired and reminiscent of an older typically English hotel however I have been informed that the whole hotel is in a refurbishment programme. I actually loved the rather iconic old style lift which really adds atmosphere. What is special about this hotel is the staff especially Paula on Reception and Chris the Duty Manager. The breakfast is superb and nothing is too much trouble for the attentive but discreet staff. I had a few fairly minor issues with my room but these were dealt with in a friendly and efficient manner and quickly. I was asked if I would return and yes most definitely if I was in the area I would stay there again especially if the rooms have received the same attention to detail as the public downstairs areas. Clevedon itself is a really pretty seaside location with some lovely individual shops and very friendly locals. As many of my friends stayed at other places it would appear that the Walton Park is the only place to stay in Clevedon!

Room Tip: It is definitely worth paying the extra for a superior seaview room.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Sarah2201405
Dear Sarah2201405

Thank you for your kind review. I was delighted to read that you would choose our hotel again should you be visiting the area and that the dedicated team provided a helpful, friendly and informative experience, I will be sure to share your comments with them all.

Your feedback is very important to us and is used to ensure we continue to provide a superior guest experience and to help us maintain and improve our standards and services.

Thank you for choosing the Walton Park Hotel, we do hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back again soon.

Kind regards
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 August 2014

We visited this hotel on a Saturday night and were advised when checking in that there was a function happening (a wedding) but as our room was at the front of the hotel we shouldn't be disturbed. We were offered help with our luggage. The room was plenty large enough, clean and tidy with everything working. We went out for a meal and upon our return wanted a coffee in our room so asked at reception for more milk. The lady at reception was very friendly and we had fresh milk brought to our room 5 minutes later. We had no grumbles at all about the hotel and for the price we paid (via the best western website) it was fantastic. The only trouble we did have was the shouting and swearing at 12:30 am from the wedding party waiting for taxis. Although this was obviously no fault of the hotels. We would definitely recommend this hotel.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
LatonaLeisureGroup, Guest Relations Manager at Best Western Walton Park Hotel, responded to this review, 12 August 2014
Dear gemma_mn85

Thank you for your kind review. Please accept my sincere apologies for any unacceptable behavior or language from anyone exiting the hotel after attending the wedding; we do our very best to police these events as to ensure no guests are overly affected.

I was very pleased to read that you would ‘definitely recommend’ our hotel and that you thoroughly enjoyed your Saturday night stay with us, I will be sure to share your comments with the hotel management team and the dedicated staff who I know will also be very happy to read them.

Thank you for choosing the Walton Park Hotel and should you ever require accommodation in the area again please do not hesitate to contact the hotel directly or via our website as we would personally like to assist you with any future reservations and help ensure you take advantage of our Best Rate Guarantee’.

Alloa, scotland
Reviewed 11 August 2014

We stayed here for five nights on a bed only basis and could not fault it. The views over the Bristol Channel were wonderful. The hotel itself is clean as was our room. We had dinner at the hotel on the first night and the food was ok but glad we had decided to explore round about the area for eating options as we found several really good ones.

Room Tip: One facing the sea!!
Dear AlloaWanderer

Thank you for your wonderful review, it is always a pleasure to read a Senior Contributor’s feedback and comments and I was thoroughly delighted that you enjoyed all aspects of your five night stay with us. I will be sure to share your comments with the management team and dedicated staff at the hotel and I know they will be as thrilled as I was to read them.

Thank you for choosing the Walton Park Hotel and we all do hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back again soon.

Clevedon, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 August 2014

The hotel is very imposing and has a wonderful position overlooking the Severn Estuary, but the internal decor is tired and the lift is very old fashioned - charming but not easy to use! The lounge is very comfortable and has been refurbished.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with Best Western GB

Dear Susan H

Thank you for your review. I was very pleased to read that you found our location ‘wonderful’ with views out over the Severn Estuary and that you thoroughly enjoyed our newly refurbished lounge area and comfortable seating.

Thank you for choosing the Walton Park Hotel and we do hope that you will return again soon and as a local resident take advantage of our recently refurbished Bar and Bistro.

Walton Park Hotel
Also consider these accommodations in or near Clevedon
DoubleTree by Hilton Bristol South - Cadbury House
Best Western Limpley Stoke Hotel
Days Inn Bristol M5
Days Inn Bristol M5
#1 of 1 in Easton-in-Gordano

Been to Best Western Walton Park Hotel? Share your experiences!