“Quirky, friendly, value for money.”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Clevedon
Cavell House Bed And Breakfast
Ranked #7 of 8 Clevedon B&B and Inns
Edinburgh
“Quirky, friendly, value for money.”
Reviewed 13 April 2014 via mobile

We had an en suite family room, which met our needs, decor and facilities a bit dated but adequate for what we required. The hosts were very friendly, welcoming and accommodating. They were very child friendly and making sure we had everything we needed for a comfortable stay. All in all I would recommend Cavell House as a budget option which could do with a bit of updating.

• Stayed April 2014

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
birmingham
Reviewed 7 February 2014 via mobile

needs a lot of money spent on it to bring it up to date, the room was freezing cold inadiquate heating systems uncomfortable surroundings,damp mouldy peeling wallpaper infact my stay made me ill.I am still recovering a week later..please update your lovely building or close it to the public.

Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
6 Thank lorr12345

Travellers are raving about these Clevedon hotels

Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 November 2013

I was greeted by one of the owners with a welcoming smile, shown into an atmosheric dining room which has charming old world style, there is a free Continental breakfast provided with the room and a full English breakfast available for an extra fee of £6. I tried the full English and it was everything you would hope for. The room was clean with white sheets; the mattress comfortable, the en-suite bathroom clean and tidy, in short nothing to disappoint. I understand from some reviews that there have been problems in the past but on my visit I found nothing wanting, whatever difficulties there have been appeared to have been resolved. I met the manager (Mr David Hamnett) David mentioned that a new boiler has been installed, certainly I was lovely and warm whilst there in October.
Overall I felt welcomed and would deffinately visit again.

Room Tip: Worth asking for room 1a - had a peek and it looks amazing!
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
Uppingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 August 2013

We booked in advance and then read the comments and I was worried.
We stayed for 3 nights in a double room, whilst 2 friends had single rooms. Our room was clean, bright, large and cool; perfect for a hot summer night. The bathroom was excellent and obviously newly done. The power shower was the best I've had in a long time. The towels were large and fluffy, so improvements are being made. Lack of any soap is an issue if not forwarned.
The breakfast was a bonding experience with the other guests, providing you have patience and a sense of humour this is priceless and certainly had us chuckling all day as well as giving us endless dinner party stories.
We will stay there again. Excentric yes, but that only added to our stay.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank Mommawig
Somerset
Reviewed 29 July 2013

We booked this B and B six months ago so that we could attend a wedding in the locality.
The room was dated and poorly decorated, the towels were of poor quality. We were given no details regarding breakfast and leaving times. On presenting for breakfast at 09.45 we were told by two pensioners who appear to be employees that there was no breakfast available and the only option was to help ourselves to tea and toast. This was offered to us in a brusque manner, oh and by the way you have to vacate your room by 10.30 am !

Unhappy customer

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Andy52009
Central England
Reviewed 18 May 2013

I am sitting at my computer trying hard to be fair to Cavell House. I paid for a single room and breakfast and I got both. The elderly lady who met us was nice and David helpful. So what is my problem!

Cavell House is a beautiful building that has definately seen better days. The large car park and garden at the front is so drab that my first thought was that the place was closed. As you enter a dull hall and look to Reception your eye is drawn to the large notice requesting 'Payment' on arrival. My single room was downstairs in the bowels of the building. I describe it as a large cell with en-suite. Oh and a TV that I defy anyone to master in less than 5 minutes. The shower was powerful and I was supplied with a small and slighly less small towel, together with a tiny bar of soap. The sink was in the correct place but the mirror, normally behind it (needed for a wet shaver) was in fact behind me on the wall. In front of me was a clear glass shelve just at the right height for me to strike my head on as I bent forward to was my face. Tea and coffee making was evident but I did not use them.

Breakfast was Continental unless you wished to pay extra. The owner should seriously consider putting up the room price a tad and offering proper English Bed and Breakfast. The full breakfasts my friends had were excellent but hardly worth an extra £6.

To be fair there is a lot of building activity going on out back. Not sure exactly what. My advice is to start at the front and make first impressions better.

I stayed with three other near 'senior citizens' on a cycle trip. One of my friends had a large front bedroom that had the biggest TV I have ever seen in a B & B. Perhaps the place has its priorities askew.

So to conclude. If you want a place to lay your head Cavell House provides that. If you want a day or so in Clevedon as a Holiday Break - refrain from Cavell House until they have sorted out their priorities and upgraded the place.

Room Tip: Avoid the basement.
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Whitehall
Chichester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 November 2012

I find some of the reviews on here a bit harsh! Clearly some things are in process, during the change over in management and are gradually being upgraded, but we have always found the family that run Cavell House to be very friendly and helpful. As my wife is unable to cope with flights of stairs, they have always been happy to upgrade us to the large, ensuite ground floor double room, (complete with it's enormous TV screen!)

It's very convenient for us to stay here during our regular visits to my mother in law (her place doesn't have the space), but it's also very handy for short walks down to and along the sea front

There is always ample to eat for breakfast, with the option of full english if required

The owners also encourage us to take in the garden surroundings, with a great collection of Koi fish, in which they clearly take great delight

(In answer to "When did you travel?" I've put the date of our last stay, but as mentioned above, we have stayed here often over the past few years)

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Robert N
Also consider these accommodations in or near Clevedon
Best Western Walton Park Hotel
DoubleTree by Hilton Bristol South - Cadbury House
Berwick Lodge
Berwick Lodge
#1 of 1 in Hallen

Been to Cavell House Bed And Breakfast? Share your experiences!