“Good as ever”

Price range: US$20 - US$66
Cuisines: Chinese, Wine Bar
Good for: Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Delivery, Private Dining, Reservations
Description: We are a privately owned restaurant operating since 1992. Junior Poon never been about stars, glitz or gimmicks. It's about the simple old fashion traditional qualities that really matters most to their guests - serving well cooked exquisite classic food with care and attention. It is a venue for people who appreciate fine food, good old fashion friendly service in a stylish yet informal and comfortable elegant surrounding at an affordable price.
Reviewed 27 July 2014

Very good chinese food and great value. Service excellent and a good atmosphere. Wide menu and early evening offers. Would recommend.

Junior P, Owner at Junior Poon, responded to this reviewResponded 7 August 2014

Thank you for your wonderful review. We always strive to achieve the best for all our customers. Thank you for recommending us. We look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed 24 July 2014

I really enjoyed my second visit to this Chinese restaurant in Clevedon.

We had the early evening set menu, with 3 starters and 3 main courses, which was all very tasty and well presented. For £13.50, I also thought it was very good value.

The restaurant is very pleasant, quite light and spacious, and even though it was a very hot evening I found the temperature was just right inside.

What I really like about this place though is the service. The young serving staff are pleasant and friendly and manage to be attentive without being intrusive, which I would imagine is quite difficult to do. Our drinking water was kept topped up without having to ask (which is a rare thing indeed) and coffee top-ups were offered free of charge.

All in all a great eating experience!

Junior P, Owner at Junior Poon, responded to this reviewResponded 7 August 2014

Thank you for your kind and generous review. I am pleased to hear that your second visit was as pleasant as your first. We always strive to exceed more than our customers' expectation and consistency is one of the thing we aim to maintain. My crew and I genuinely enjoy what we do and hopefully it does reflect on our service. I shall pass on your comment to my crew and I thank you on their behalf for your kind compliment. We look forward to see you again soon.

Reviewed 20 July 2014

Our party of five all enjoyed another beautiful meal at Juniors last night. Everything was perfect. Delicious food, beautiful wine, fantastic service and always with a smile.

I do get very suspicious of some of the reviews about this restaurant. I have been eating here very regularly since it opened. I use the wine bar for snacks and drinks, I use the takeaway facility and I eat in the restaurant and never have I or anyone else I have eaten with had a bad experience - ever.

I don't notice the takeaway pick ups because I am enjoying a meal with friends, there is no chill in the restaurant when the door opens. Never has my meal tasted like it's been microwaved. I have never thought that the prices were too high. Never has this restaurant been anything but immaculately clean and on no occasion have Junior and his staff ever been anything but incredibly friendly and accommodating.

See you soon for another delicious meal.

Junior P, Owner at Junior Poon, responded to this reviewResponded 7 August 2014

Thank you very very much for your support. As a regular you know how hard my crew and I strive to achieve more than our customers' expectation. We have been operating for 22 years and I still goes in everyday apart from the odd days I away with my young family because like my team, I am dedicated and committed to doing what I enjoy. It does disheartened us when we receive negative review; yes, we welcome genuine constructive criticism as we always look to improve ourselves to be better for our customers. As we are all passionate in what we are doing, it does upsets us all in Junior Poons when we receive 'unnecessary' comments or 'suspicious' review. But after all these years, we learn to accept that it's inevitable that this does happen.

Again, my crew and I thank you for your kind support throughout all these years and we look forward to be of service to you for many many more years to come.

Reviewed 13 July 2014

Perfection....well, actually...one small fault...it is in Clevedon and I do not live in Clevedon. Literally the only thing that Junior could do to improve this place is to pick it up & move it next door to me!!!
I dined there last night (Sat) with a family & friends gathering of nine people. Half the group dine there on a regular basis, and a couple were first timers.
Everyone thoroughly enjoyed every dish we ordered (and we ordered a LOT!) Every dish was beautifully fresh & vibrant. I was persuaded to try the orange chicken which I would normally steer away from because I've been put off by the artificial tasting gloop that they serve in most takeaways. Juniors is nothing like that, it turned out to be one of my favourite dishes of the evening, along with the satay chicken which is to die for.
The staff are lovely and welcoming. We were served last night by Michael, who was most helpful as one of our party is a very faddy vegetarian who loves chilli but hates pak choi! Michael helped to select dishes that suited him perfectly.
All in all, this is one of the best restaurants ever.
We will be back time & time again :)

Junior P, Owner at Junior Poon, responded to this reviewResponded 7 August 2014

Thank you very much for taking the time to write such a lovely review for us! I am very pleased to hear that you had enjoyed your evening with us. We love what we do, so it's not a chores and providing good service is natural to us because it's fun for us. We have so many request to open another Junior Poons in other location; but then it will spoil what we enjoy doing. I can only be at one place at a time; it's easier and more fun to create one happy place then to look after many. I will hate to lose touch working with my team.

But thank you for coming all the way down here. We are proud to say that we do get lots of customers travel from far and wide to dine with us. Some are from as far as Gloucester or Bath and even farther! We are humbled by the fact that some even put up a night in one of the local hotel just to celebrate their occasion with us.

Thank you again for being with us. We look forward to your next visit. I will top up another 'brownie' point for Michael!

Reviewed 12 July 2014

We were disappointed. I didn't like being at a table in the middle of the room where there was a cold draught every time the door opened and people kept squeezing past, gawping at our meals as they did so. My companions were Chinese and proclaimed the food 'poor'. Service was average.

1  Thank Paul S
Junior P, Owner at Junior Poon, responded to this reviewResponded 6 August 2014

Thank you for writing, giving us the opportunity to response. First of all, I do wonder whether you have got the right restaurant. I had a meeting with all our staff and none of them can remember your table (chinese people sitting near the door within those few days). Also being a hot warm July month, any fresh breeze when the door was open would be most welcome. Cold draught during July? We practically have air cond on every evening during end of June and throughout the month of July this time of the year.

Putting that all aside, my advice to you is wherever you are, always bring to the attention of the owner or manager if you are not happy with the table, service or food. Any good operator will rectify it straight away. Unfortunately, as with any where you go, either restaurant, theater, or even on a plane; there will be seats that are not popular with customer. Some prefer window, others prefer aisle (as I do) but most would not want to be seated by the toilets! The secret is book early and request your seating preference.

With regards to seating arrangement, we always give better table (ie not in the middle of the restaurant) to those who book first or always allocate the table of their choice if requested subject to availability. In the future, when you are in a restaurant and are not happy with the table, always ask to speak to the manager and request to be moved. In our case, we will definitely change the table to our customer's preference subject to availability. End of the day, we want our customers to walk out feeling great and not disappointed. Likewise, you are out for a good evening, why put up with something that you are not happy with? Especially something that's so trivial and can be rectified very easily. I admit, there are times that our hands are tied and not able to move our customers to their preferred table (i.e. that prefered table has already requested by another booking), then we always make it up in another way. But the secret is, book early and request to be seated at a table of your choice.

Please do visit us and try us out. Come and experience 'Junior Poons' service and foods. We have been operating nearly 22 years and humbly, we would like to think that we always strive hard to exceed our customers' expectation, hence all the 5-Stars review we acquired all these times and the support that we received from our customers near and far.