“Amazing food.”
Review of Tongdam Thai

Tongdam Thai
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Dulverton
Tongdam Thai
Ranked #10 of 17 Dulverton B&B and Inns
Reviewed 14 July 2012

We were staying in knowstone and Tongdam Thai was recommended to us in the welcome guide, ate here for dinner on our last night. The food was amazing, service was perfect. Definitely need to book a table as its obviously very popular, lots of people in there for a Thursday evening. Nice traditional decor. Would definately return to taste some more.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Tongdam Thai

Reviewed 21 June 2012

We were staying nearby in Dulverton when we were recommended the Thai restaurant Tongdam. We went in and booked lunch time for a table table in the evening.

We were attentively served in the evening very polite waiters. we also enjoyed the food. It was fairly busy and I am glad we booked. I had asked for particular table an thought it was very sweet of the original waiter who kept the table I wanted for us to sit at.

My one and only moan and this is an observation is the chairs, i don't know why such lovely restaurants choose such uncomfortable wooden chairs, that are hard. I am afraid I did ask for a cushion which was supplied but a very thin one, so in no time it was flat. as soon as the people from the nearby table left i requested one of only 3 chairs that had padding on which the your Waiter swopped for me.

Lovely restaurant great decor, people want to sit and enjoy but its like sitting on a park bench when it is a hard surfaced wooden chair and if like me people suffer on hard surfaces they can't enjoy it.

other then that I recommend it and was pleased.
If this is helpful please give me a tick

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank DuquesaLondon
Reviewed 6 May 2012

Came with my family for Sunday lunch - we ate off the menu although there was also a lunch option available (which seemed like good value) The food was lovely, the service discreet but attentive (without being intrusive) and the ambience was perfect for Sunday lunch (I'd imagine it's pretty good in the evening too!) I'll be returning soon!

Room Tip: didn't stay the night so can't help
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 4 January 2012

Had lunch here over new year. All the food was fantastic and service good. Reccomended, and will return when next in dulverton.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 6 December 2011

I recently visited Dulverton, staying at the Tongdam and I also had both my lunch there and evening meal. The food was wonderful, with a good, reasonably priced lunch menu with a mix of asian and western foods if desired. The evening meal I had was a Thai red curry which was delicious. I was invited to view the kitchen and see the food being efficiently and freshly prepared. The hosts, Robert and Tino are so friendly and nice the whole experience was a joy.

Room Tip: Room No. 1 is lovely with a separate sitting room and ensuite!
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled solo
3  Thank coralhorton
Reviewed 20 November 2011

Food is ok but no where near the quality the prices suggest. The "Special" (Rendang beef) wasn't. The "homemade" desserts stretched the meaning of the word. The mix platter starter did not look like it had been lovingly prepared on the premises. In fact it looked identical to dozens of other Thai restaurant mixed platters.
Staff were poorly trained. No drinks offered on arrival. Way too much of a rush. We had to send 3 different waitrons away when considering the dessert. We had about 30 seconds between each one. Restaurant is very cramped.
So if you are in Dulverton, and want Thai this is the place to go if you are not fussy about the cost. 2 people, mixed starter, 2 mains, rice, noodles, 2 desserts and coffee, 3 beers and a coke. > £80!!

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Platinum99
TONGDAM, Owner at Tongdam Thai, responded to this reviewResponded 28 December 2011

Dear Platinum99, We at Tongdam take very seriously all and any comments made about our restaurant. We therefore read with grave concern, your comments relating to a recent visit to our restaurant and would respond as follows :- In your eyes, your visit was obviously not an enjoyable experience for either you or your partner and we of course regret this. What a shame you did not bring your grievancies to our attention at the time and we might have been able to reassure you there and then regarding some of the points you later detailed in your Tripadvisor review. Our Rendang Beef may not have been to your liking, however it has proved exceedingly popular and has remained as a "Special" now for many weeks. It has even received a very definite thumbs up from a Malaysian customer, who ordered a stack of them to take home to his freezer ! This dish is considered an authentic Malaysian / Thai recipe and yours is the first adverse comment ever received. Our mixed platter consists of some of the most popular Thai Starters produced and of course it is very likely therefore, that you will have experienced these recipes at many other Thai restaurants. However, let me assure you that all our Starters are handmade on our premises and we would be happy in inviting you back to the Restaurant to observe them being produced. As for your comment regarding our Desserts, in that you highlight the word "homemade", we would very much like to know what your specific complaint was ? As with our Starters, all our Desserts are carefully reproduced to our exacting recipes and they are all produced by our Chefs, on the premises. The only Dessert not produced by us is the Helsett Farm Ice Cream, which is clearly stated as being supplied and details information relating to this fact in our Menu.
As for your remaining comments concerning our Team, the service and the seating in the Restaurant, we take your words on board. You may have received service from one or two of our most recently employed Team and without knowing which evening you came to the Restaurant, I am unable to make an accurate comment on this area of complaint and also our seating arrangements on that particular night. On the majority of evenings, we feel that the space allocated for each and every table, is acceptable to the vast majority of our customers.

Regarding the cost of your meal, I am not sure what kind of restaurant you tend to frequent, because for the quantity of dishes and drinks ordered, I feel that the amount charged was pretty much standard for our grade of restaurant and we pride ourselves on the generous portions served.

In conclusion we hope we have covered the points raised, clearly and to the letter and would once again welcome the opportunity in taking you into our kitchens, to meet the Chefs and see them at work. Regards, Robert Cave / Director

Reviewed 27 October 2011

A great place to stay and to eat. We were recommended Tongdam by a friend and decided to stay there while visiting Exmoor. The food was terrific, the service was friendly and the room was great. We were made to feel welcome from the moment we arrived, and we learned a bit about Thailand too. I would thoroughly recommend Tongdam for a meal or a stay.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple