The Lion Hotel
US$170
Priceline
US$155
US$135
Dunkery Beacon Hotel(Wootton Courtenay)
US$113
US$175
US$170
Orbitz.com
  • Restaurant
All reviewsrabbit pienice friendly atmospherelovely townlog firesunday lunchcomfortable bedalesangelaexmoorvegpinthostsedge
Reviewed 27 February 2013

We ate here on one occasion when we were in Dulverton. The food was typical pub food but was nice but not special. It was served in a timely way and the staff were very pleasant but we felt that once we had finished our meal we were ready to leave rather than linger. The restaurant is adequate but with little atmosphere. Certainly go there if you just want a quick pub meal but pick somewhere else if you want atmosphere and an incentive to sit and enjoy the ambience.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 December 2012

I stayed in the hotel throughout the week for nearly four months when I was working in the area. I was made to feel very welcome, part of the family and very much at home. The food was great and I had a lovely breakfast every day, my feather pillows were changed when I mentioned they made me sneeze too much, I had a bacon sandwich made for me when I didn't have the time for a sit-down breakfast. My room was lovely and cozy. I will look to stay here when I am in the area again

Stayed: January 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank BizyLizy81
Reviewed 15 December 2012 via mobile

This hotel is in a great location and has as far as I can see no other competition in Dulverton. Maybe this has made the owners complacent.

I can understand owners not heating rooms that are not being used but in a drafty building will ill fitting windows, thin curtains and thermostats that only go up to "2" you need to put the heating on BEFORE guests arrive.

Then ee arrived most of the lights in the building were off, including in the bar and it all looked very unwelcoming. We were shown to freezing cold rooms. When we returned to the hotel after dinner (elsewhere) my room was still cold and the heating went off totally a short time later.

The night was noisy an cold, I actually slept in my clothes. In the morning I ran the shower for ten minutes in the still cold bathroom before giving up on getting anything other then tepid water. I had to boil a kettle to get washed.

There are severval good hotels in nearby towns and villages and I'd highly recommend those until such time as the owners sort out this hotel. I don't think it's currently in a state where you can honestly charge customers money to stay there.

• Stayed: December 2012
Reviewed 16 October 2012

We stayed here for three nights, and had a great time. I agree with some of the previous reviews but not all. Our room was perfectly adequate - it had a large bathroom, with a double sink, shower and bath and the bed was a good size, with a lovely feather duvet and pillows. I agree that our windows were dripping with condensation the following morning, but this is after all, a very old building. The staff were courteous attentive and helpful, and the young Thai lady (Yada?) who served us for breakfast was a delight. If I had any problems at all , it would be that the water was not nearly hot enough for a shower, and it would be nice if they had a proper residents lounge. Somewhere cosy to sit and read the sunday papers over a nice bottle of wine. Other than that, we enjoyed our stay, and will definitely be returning.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 September 2012

The Lion used to be a really top notch traditional hotel. So after 16 years away we went back for an evening meal.
Food was good value, locally sourced and OK - nothing more than OK. My sausages had a strange taste and were too salty. Apart from that both meals were fine.

Which would have rated 3 stars - but the actual environment was really poor. Out had gone the traditional and plush furniture, in had come canteen style pine tables and partitions. The windows had poles but the curtains were missing, the ceiling and light units filthy, you could see the old nicotine stains even thought smoking as been banned for years. Wood chip wallpaper everywhere with much of it worn and damaged. Strangest thing we noticed were the number of dogs, 3 in the bar area where we were eating, another three in the restaurant - 1 per table when you averaged it out. So even though most we're well behaved most of the time, you still had yaps and barking every so often!

When the food arrived on hot plates my wife said it was lovely to feel the heat as the bar was so cold. The waitress said it was cold. Then she said she just went and hugged the dishwater to warm up every so often! She said our problem was we were sitting down, and if we were running round serving we would be much warmer!

Sums up the Hotel's attitude really - don't care about customers, no idea how poor the environment is for people. So as soon as we'd finished our main meal we left.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple