“Needs more staff”
Review of The Lion Hotel

The Lion Hotel
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Dulverton
The Lion Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Dulverton
Reviewed 25 May 2013

Lovely place, welcoming Thai lady who seemed to be reception, cleaner, barmaid etc
Comfy beds, could do with central heating on a cold night and showers were very hopeless
They've obviously just redecorated - our room had a sash window painted wide open , then manager seemed completely unaware of this, but did offer
to sort it out . ( do owners EVER stay in their own rooms ?)
Didn't eat there, looked a but dull, nicer restaurant up the road

• Stayed: May 2013
1  Thank Travelswithhairdrye

Reviewed 24 May 2013

Welcoming staff, hotel appeared to be having a new coat of paint upstairs could do with a general make over lacked a bit of atmosphere.However excellent service good food,clean rooms what more do you need.Those who like a drink need to be aware of the local licensing hours close at 3 open at 6 for the 4 pubs in the village (except for the Rock Inn).Excellent location to visit the Tarr steps 6 miles by car also 6 mile footpath.Thought room was over priced compared to those stopped at on the 3 night road trip and didn't make the best use of space in the room.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 16 May 2013

I have been to the Hotel before and loved the stay. It was the same again, this time around. Although I didn't eat in the Hotel like last time because it was too busy for my dog (he hates lots of people around), I stayed for 1 night (sat) - the room was the same as before.

Had another great stay, with the owners being very friendly to me...and my dog (gave him a few treats).

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 20 March 2013

I have stayed at the Lion many times over the last 4-5 years. I have always found it welcoming and friendly. It's an ancient building and the floors creak a bit but the beds are comfy and the water is always hot. The food is always excellent whether it is breakfast (you won't need lunch) or dinner. The staff are helpful and obliging and they are dog friendly, my Spaniel loves it there as she always gets treats. I now have a cottage in Dulverton but still eat often at the Lion.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 27 February 2013

We ate here on one occasion when we were in Dulverton. The food was typical pub food but was nice but not special. It was served in a timely way and the staff were very pleasant but we felt that once we had finished our meal we were ready to leave rather than linger. The restaurant is adequate but with little atmosphere. Certainly go there if you just want a quick pub meal but pick somewhere else if you want atmosphere and an incentive to sit and enjoy the ambience.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 December 2012

I stayed in the hotel throughout the week for nearly four months when I was working in the area. I was made to feel very welcome, part of the family and very much at home. The food was great and I had a lovely breakfast every day, my feather pillows were changed when I mentioned they made me sneeze too much, I had a bacon sandwich made for me when I didn't have the time for a sit-down breakfast. My room was lovely and cozy. I will look to stay here when I am in the area again

Stayed: January 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank BizyLizy81
Reviewed 15 December 2012 via mobile

This hotel is in a great location and has as far as I can see no other competition in Dulverton. Maybe this has made the owners complacent.

I can understand owners not heating rooms that are not being used but in a drafty building will ill fitting windows, thin curtains and thermostats that only go up to "2" you need to put the heating on BEFORE guests arrive.

Then ee arrived most of the lights in the building were off, including in the bar and it all looked very unwelcoming. We were shown to freezing cold rooms. When we returned to the hotel after dinner (elsewhere) my room was still cold and the heating went off totally a short time later.

The night was noisy an cold, I actually slept in my clothes. In the morning I ran the shower for ten minutes in the still cold bathroom before giving up on getting anything other then tepid water. I had to boil a kettle to get washed.

There are severval good hotels in nearby towns and villages and I'd highly recommend those until such time as the owners sort out this hotel. I don't think it's currently in a state where you can honestly charge customers money to stay there.

• Stayed: December 2012
Also consider these accommodations in or near Dulverton
Exmoor White Horse Inn
#7 of 17 in Dulverton
Streamcombe Farm
Streamcombe Farm
#5 of 17 in Dulverton

Been to The Lion Hotel? Share your experiences!