“Eating Out”
Review of The Lion Hotel

The Lion Hotel
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Dulverton
The Lion Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Dulverton
Reviewed 11 April 2014

We did not stay here as we live locally but did venture in for a meal, having booked in advance..... The barman (who I believe to be the landlord/owner) seemed uninterested in our arrival and having asked "what do you want" to which I replied that we had booked a table but would like a drink first, then turned without response and wandered off to serve someone else....A few moments later he returned to tell me "I will be with you in a minute". Having finally secured our drinks we were ushered into the hotels' dining room as there was a large gathering of noisy and rowdy folks in the main bar. The waitress was very sweet but sadly had no idea what the specials were or indeed what the soup was and had to go and find out (should they not commit such things to memory?)

We decided to have some bread with our meals. We were dutifully asked if we would like white or brown and selected white. The idea of some nice fresh (even warm) crusty bread or rolls was just the thing to accompany our menu choices. What we actually got however did stop the wife and I in our tracks. French bread? No...Crusty rolls? No.....Warm fresh baguette? No......wait for it.....one slice of bread cut diagonally and buttered! And when I say sliced I mean from an ordinary sliced loaf! The fact that it was sliced bread is one thing but ONE slice between the two of us??? And if that wasn't bad enough....the price for this exquisite culinary delight....£1.50!!!!!!!

If this seems to be a little surreal then please take a look at the photo.......

The actual meals were of average quality and quantity. The salad was, in our opinion, bagged from the supermarket (probably the same place the bread came from).

Could not recommend this hotel for an evening meal but it is ok for a quick pint on the way home.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank 92jonm

Reviewed 4 April 2014

Stayed with my friend recently, although the area is beautiful for walking and sight seeing this was a really uncomfortable stay, the staff seemed very uninterested in their customers, every appeared to be an Inconvenience for them! We went for a meal at Woods (just a couple of doors up) which was fantastic with a lovely atmosphere and came back to our rooms where we could not sleep due to level of noise in the bar downstairs, full of rowdy drunk men constantly in and out of the bar, definitely won't be staying here again, very disappointing!

Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank Lilian G
Reviewed 23 February 2014

Ian does a mean breakfast at this family and walker friendly hotel.. Right in the centre of Exmoor it's a good base for walking and generally chilling. Food is good and it's right next door to the excellent Woods Pub and Restaurant too. Nice little shops which will tempt you and other hostelries too.

Room Tip: Rooms are spacious but old fashioned.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 19 January 2014

Have never stayed at this hotel but we have used this hotel for meals on about a dozen times in the last two years. We last used the hotel for Sunday lunch last week. As usual the steak and kidney pie was delicious. The vegetables and potatoes were fresh and beautifully cooked. The lovely landlady is always friendly and courteous as is the landlord when he emerges and isn't working in the kitchen. The restaurant is clean and inviting with a roaring log fire. The Lion is just what an old Exmoor Inn should be. We are glad we discovered it.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 January 2014

Stopped for lunch in Dulverton on New Years Eve armed with a good food pub guide we ended up at the Lion because the recommended pubs were full. The Lion was empty apart from 1 drinker and 1 member of staff. The menus looked dated and we started to worry a bit. Worry not was the case! We were greeted with friendly banter and good ales. Had a nice table by a roaring fire and ordered the food. The food was delicious. The fish and chips were beautifully, freshly cooked with the cod tasting like it just come out of the sea. Mrs' dad fancied gravy with his Steak&Kidney pud when the meal arrived, its was done in not time and presented in a little gravy boat, nice touch. All very reasonably priced and we all came away very happy with are choices.
So if your like us and think your stuck Dulverton because your recommendation is full, don't be and head to the Lion Hotel for delicious pub grub!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 9 December 2013

We make an annual pilgrimage to Dulverton for Christmas shopping to get away from the awful mass produced tat found on the high street. We had not been to The Lion for a few years, but it was much the same as we knew - but with one great exception - lovely food! Admittedly, we only had a light lunch, but it was good value and nicely served. The rare roast beef was really rare and the smoked mackerel paté authentic and tasty. The log fire added a nice touch on a cold day. Friendly folk and good service makes this a worthwhile visit for food if you are in Dulverton.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 November 2013

For the second time in three visits I have had to come from my room to complain about excessive noise from the bar of this hotel. on my recent visit I stayed with my elderly parents in their 80's and my 6 year old daughter and the noise was so loud in their rooms it was impossible to relax and sleep. When I got downstairs to complain I was faced with a man conducting a sing along from behind the bar and woman behind the hotel reception desk with a microphone singing at the top of her voice! This followed loud and abusive language from locals at the bar whilst having our evening meal.
The management clearly have to decide whether this is a hotel or a bar for the locals because clearly both don't go together. I have not received an apology on any occasion. Our evening meal was awful and cannot comment on breakfast as we were asked to leave before we finished it! On account of being rude to the owner when having the temerity to complain (again) apparently.
I have had the pleasure of staying at this hotel for 10 years plus but I'm afraid the current owners clearly have lost all sense of perspective about what a good hotel should be - and it seems from other's comments I'm not the only one who has complained about the noise. Sorry - never again!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Exmoorfanatic
Also consider these accommodations in or near Dulverton
Exmoor White Horse Inn
#7 of 17 in Dulverton
Streamcombe Farm
Streamcombe Farm
#5 of 17 in Dulverton

Been to The Lion Hotel? Share your experiences!