“If you're on Exmoor, Try It.”
Review of Tantivy

Tantivy
Ranked #9 of 20 Restaurants in Dulverton
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Breakfast
Description: Small cafe/restaurant & delicatessen in market town on edge of Exmoor
Colchester, United Kingdom
“If you're on Exmoor, Try It.”
Reviewed 22 September 2012

Tantivy is perfect for a coffee and lunch if you're around Dulverton. There are no other places to compare as Tantivy is much more current than the other dated coffee shops nearby. The food is fresh and of a good quality, being made to order in front of you. Service can be a bit slow if there are a few orders to get through but sitting around here is pleasant and there's free wi-fi so you can pass the time on the net. In short, good food, good quality and a pleasant environment.

• Visited September 2012

Chippenham, United Kingdom
“Excellent coffee and cake”
Reviewed 7 September 2012

Excellent service and delightful shop. Very helpful staff concerning the area and facilities for example where to charge our hired electric bikes ..Thanks

Visited September 2012
Bolton
“Wasted potential”
Reviewed 29 August 2012

Nicely designed and presented cafe. Sympathetically and (clearly expensively) renovated. The cost part was clearly reflected in the prices. Everything on display looked nice and the menu read well.
That's where the good bit ends.
Staff were rude and disinterested and had no knowledge or interest in the food and certainly none in the customers. Knowing that it was Gerald David bacon we ordered two bacon sandwiches and two coffees. The staff member paid minimal attention to us during the process and while we were paying talked to her colleague.
Food arrived (or should we say dumped) onto the table with no grace or nicety. Requests for forgotten items were treated like requests for money. The bread was sliced badly so it was too thin on one part it fell to pieces.
At least we know that it wasn't us...we were in prime position to watch the counter and everyone was treated rudely. The staff didn't seek to hide their contempt of their customers even though we could see and hear them.
Either the owners don't know or don't care but considering the money they have invested they should care. Perhaps they share their staffs attitude. Fleece the tourists and don't bother about whether they come back because a fresh set will appear.

• Visited August 2012
2 Thank Ianthe M
Cullompton, United Kingdom
“Could do better”
Reviewed 5 August 2012

Like the other reviewer, this is tricky. Environment good, decor good, but and this is what makes a service industry excellent, not average, staff. Food was slightly expensive for what it was but the staff were at best not interested. No understanding of how the customer thinks. I asked for some more hot water for my tea pot and was refused. When I protested I was grudgingly given some in a milk jug. I had just walked 16 miles and had brought a group of six Ito the business. Not good enough. The disturbing thing is that it could be excellent.

• Visited June 2012
1 Thank JLMackenzie
Steeple Ashton, United Kingdom
“Excellent, smart cafe let down greatly by disgraceful attitude of staff”
Reviewed 23 July 2012

I am writing this review as fairly as possible as I see there are no other reviews and would not wish to paint a skewed picture of someone's business but can only report my findings on a wet July day with my family. Hence, I am marking it "very good" as I cannot, with conscience, mark it lower purely for the actions of one person (who, I trust, will either be trained or go and work somewhere they don't need to interact with the public)

Yes, a very good first impression is made and there is also a shop attached with Emma Bridgewater pottery and general goods of a high standard.

First the good: this cafe looked lovely and has clearly had money invested by caring owners with attention to detail, such as wafer biscuits with TANTIVY cleverly emblazoned and rather lovely cakes. GREAT coffee, with a clever leaf pattern in the froth!

However, our overall experience was marred. My daughters and I arrived and took our seats with my two small grandsons. One daughter went to the counter to be served and was completely ignored by the two people behind the counter, one of whom decided this was a good moment to continue wiping down the cupboards and, upon finally acknowledging my daughter, offered no apology or friendly hello - quite surprising considering this is a small Somerset village.

When we got up to leave, the same person was delivering a cup of coffee to another table and literally pushed through us with a roll of her eyes and a huffing noise - she made no effort to move and we (the paying customers) were clearly a total inconvenience.... my daughter, not known for confrontation in her 29 years, advised the person that her attitude was awful and the girl just walked away and sneered behind the counter.

Another member of staff did talk to us about this but we felt she was merely placating us and was quite abrupt in her manner, so, rather than feeling this would be dealt with, we were left with the distinct impression that these two members of staff would have a good laugh at such annoying customers who dared to mention their awful attitude and lack of customer care.

They have let the owners of Tantivy down and that is unforgiveable. In the current financial climate, employees need to realise that their wages are paid for by the customer and they also lost a tip that day, too. All in all, very regrettable and we won't be returning.

• Visited July 2012