“Enjoyed a pleasant meal - but quite expensive”
Review of The Cornerhouse

The Cornerhouse
Ranked #10 of 32 Frome B&B and Inns
Melksham, United Kingdom
“Enjoyed a pleasant meal - but quite expensive”
Reviewed 10 July 2012

We were visiting Frome yesterday as part of the Frome Festival and were due to attend the Brenton Vs Brenton play being held upstairs at the Cornerhouse (which was absolutely fabulous by the way - in fact we might try & get along again later in the week if there are any tickets left).
As the performance was due to start fairly late we thought we'd have a meal at the Cornerhouse first and were very pleased that we did. The staff were warm and friendly and the food really was very good. It was quite expensive and the portion sizes were quite small and we did have to order veggies as a side dish as we quickly realised that none of the meals come with that automatically which I always find annoying (especially when the main meals are already expensive), but the food was good quality so would be worth considering for a special occasion.

Room Tip: Did not use any of the other rooms - but the ladies toilet was clean (although a bit of a maze to fi...
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Bath, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 July 2012

Booked a table for the Frome Festival event here on Friday July 6th.
Very excited being a greart Allo Allo fan.
It is impossible to find ANYWHERE to park within 10 mins at least walk away! Entered a very busy bar and struggled to be noticed!. Eventually shown a table - a lovely authentic atmosphere and appeared very classy decor. Special menu offered with starters and puddings at £5 and mains £10. Chose moules and my companion escargot. This arrived cool in temperature; the snails (5- a pound each !) included a small lettuce leaf no bread, the moule accompanied by 2 very thin slices of baguette. They were quite dry(overcooked?) with a very small amount of milky very salty liquor (over-reduced?). More bread was provided on request. I had to order a glass of wine twice as it did not arrive the first time but the service was friendly and warm. Then to dessert- my companion chose the crepes and I an apple tart.
After over 30minutes we had to remind the waitresses as the desserts had not arrived. When they were brought they were again very minimal in quantity. Happily we were told that we would not be charged as they were so late - this was very good I thought. There was a lovely accordionist who moved from table to table playing requests. An apparent reconstruction of the 'Great Escape' was somehow being enacted in a narrow strip between the bar and tables. This consisted of several large men throwing themselves around and sqirming on the floor(?) Not sure how that was connected to Rene Artois and the French Resistance but still - the participants were really enjoying themselves.....Anyway we just felt a little disappointed.
Walked the long way back to the car park in the pouring rain and on arrival at home played my 'Allo Allo' dvd and had a sandwhich!! I hope the food and service would be better on an ordinary night.

Room Tip: evening event only
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends
Devon
Reviewed 7 July 2012 via mobile

First impressions of the inside are a bit disappointing in daylight. However, the staff are so very nice and food superb with a cosy ambience in the restaurant area in the evening, that these observations fade into the background. The owner and staff were so accommodating regarding my wheat allergy that there was none of the usual 'what can I eat' scenario but an exceptionally helpful staff who went out of their way to make sure I had a beautiful meal! The Cornerhouse is a two minute walk from the Memorial Theatre so perfect position for somewhere to stay when visiting the theatre. We look forward to another stay.

• Stayed June 2012
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 June 2012

The Corner House website claims "some of the luxurious bedrooms around" and "a revamp", whereas we found our room and bathroom were quite grubby and in need of a good clean. There was no full length mirror in the room, this is not unusual but always irritating when getting ready to go out.
Having had orange juice for breakfast on the first morning I asked for some on the second morning. I was told that they had run out but I could buy a bottle from behind the bar. This isn't our idea of "good service" which they claim to provide. Firstly, if you are running a business..... you make sure you have what you need, secondly, if not, go out and buy it. If you cannot be bothered, give a bottle away from behind the bar, don't charge for it!
On the plus side they were friendly enough and there was a lively bar in the evening.
Overall, due to the cost and the website claims we were disappointed with the Corner House. Had they not been overpriced and bigged themselves up so much on their website we would have been quite happy.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
Swindon, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 June 2012

A friend and I met in charming Frome for lunch as a useful mid-way stopping off point, and had lunch at the Cornerhouse. The staff were extremely helpful; even the landlord took time to chat to us and make us feel welcome. His recommendation of the home-made burger was well justified: it was delicious, and the chips were good too. Rounded off with a delightful glass fo sauvignon, it made for a lovely lunch in a pleasant dining area just off the main bar. The new landlord at the Cornerhouse is clearly making great strides with the business, and I wish him every success.

Room Tip: I had a quick look in the rooms, and thought they looked fabulous...
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 May 2012

We stayed here for two nights over my birthday weekend having booked on Laterooms.com.
When we arrived we were greeted with very friendly staff and shown to a beautiful large room with king size bed, plus another single. The bathroom was also very nice (apart from the shower curtain that wasn't quite long enough).
The location was great. Right in the town centre with a small car park out the back. It sits at the top of a steep hill which may be a problem for some.
Breakfast was a small selection of cereals, juices and yoghurts, with the option of cooked breakfast. Not spectacular but very nice quality.
Noise levels from the pub below were varied. On the first night there was a live band that went on til gone 11pm which was obviously noisy but not too bad. The second night there were no noise problems at all.

I would have rated this place a full 5/5 except for when we were checking out the owner told us we had been given the wrong room and that we owed them another £80!! We objected as we hadn't known this until then, and the owner said we didn't have to pay the extra but continued to grumble and explain that we should have been in "the small double". He proceeded to describe how tiny that was, and basically moan at us over an error we hadn't made as if it was our fault! Not a nice way to leave what had been a lovely stay. I hope no one got fired over it and I certainly pity the poor people who do end up in "the small double" as it sounds terrible!!

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
Somerset UK
Reviewed 20 May 2012

My daughter treated me to a Sunday lunch at The Cornerhouse for my birthday. The pub was buzzing and has a really friendly atmosphere..We were quickly seated with our drinks and had fun perusing the menu. What to have as starter? There was a choice of soup, crab salad, rare beef and goats cheese. In the end, after much discussion, I decided on the beef and my daughter had the goats cheese, my husband decided to have just a main course! Both starters were delicious and I might even have been converted to goats cheese!! I decided to have the pork as I am always wary of the beef for a pub Sunday lunch as it is often overcooked and not very nice! I made the wrong choice!! Although my pork was povely the beef was even better!! Then there was the decision on whether or not to have pudding......well it was my birthday!! Both my daughter and I had the creme brulee which was divine! Everything was nice, friendly staff, nice atmosphere and delicious food! All at a very reasonable price I will certainly go again! Another really nice touch is that you get proper napkins on the table!!

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with family