“Very Disappointed”

Restaurant at the Grange
Ranked #41 of 98 Restaurants in Frome
Cuisines: British
Good for: Romantic, Special Occasion Dining, Child-friendly, Groups, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Shepton Mallet, United Kingdom
“Very Disappointed”
Reviewed 7 September 2011

On a previous visit we enjoyed the food, however, on this occasion the service and the food were well below par. In particular, for one person in our company, the sticky rice in the starter was reduced to glue and the main course was not well presented and lacking in the flavours stated on the menu. At these prices more attention to detail is expected.

• Visited September 2011
2 Thank Durotrigion

Bath, United Kingdom
“Great food , bit sad atmosphere”
Reviewed 17 February 2011

Wonderful pizza cooked in a wood fired oven . Nice thin crust. One of the best seafood dishes i Have ever eaten namely a shellfish starter cooked in the pizza oven. The clams and mussels had a wonderful saltiness that was truly memorable.
Service a bit indifferent., our food arrived before our wine, which is always annoying. I was very surprised that there was no chilli oil available in a resataurant specialising in pizza, nor chilli flakes though they found some tabasco behind the bar.
My only real disappointment was the barn like nature of the room itself. A great deal of effort has obviously been spent on the design of the building which also operates as a cookery school and from the outside it is stunning. As is the foyer/ bar . But the restaurant is very bare with very dated looking pine tables with no covers of any kind.
The waiting staff were friendly and attractive but didnt seem very knowledgable and lacked that proffessionalism which really makes all the difference.
I wouldnt hesitate to go back however as the food is the thing , my quibbles are minor, It represents really excellent value for money and is a great addition to the culinary scene of the area which until recently has been very barren indeed ( The Archangel Frome being the other major gain hereabouts)

• Visited January 2011
1 Thank Alex186370
Frome, United Kingdom
“Food quite good but too noisy”
Reviewed 13 December 2010

This is the restaurant side of a cookery school and unfortunately for us on two separate occasions we were let down by food which was ill-prepared and over-seasoned. Rösti where the potato had been grated and then left too long with the result that it was grey in colour when it arrived and soggy. The replacement Chilli starters were inedible; braised and rolled up with olive oil. I have a tolerance for hot (spicy) foods but this was heat just for the sake of it - there was no flavour apart from the heat. We thought we'd give it a second chance after a previous so-so experience here but this coupled with the still very noisy restaurant - open plan, stone floor, bare walls- makes me unable to recommend this to anyone until they do something about it.

2 Thank gerardjoseph
Bruges, Belgium
“We hope one day we can enjoy this culinary event again”
Reviewed 19 August 2010

This restaurant was us recommended by the very friendly owners of the holiday barn we stayed in.
We phoned to make a reservation, which was possible for the next day, Saturday. They could squeeze us in at the early time of 6 pm and only on the terrace outside.
Luckily the weather was fair enough when we left the barn, although it was rather chilly.
The driveway was rather imposing. We were a little early, the waiters still were laying the table (is that correct English?)
We soon were led to our place by a waitress. Pity we could not have a table inside, where we could see the open kitchen (being a head chef myself). On the other hand we had a view over the garden, pity it was rather a lawn with nothing much to see. The building itself looked good yet somewhat misplaced: Bath stone- colored however it had more like a Mediterranean feel. The wooden walls behind me was more like it.
As neither of us are wine drinkers we ordered a water and a beer, I can’t remember which brand, I think it was Czech or something like that; it was quite nice, and honestly: better than the English beers I have tasted during our UK holidays.
We also ordered some garlic bread, which looked rather like a pizza on a slate, but was very tasty and with a nice salty savour. We hope that the cutting marks on the slate were not caused by us alone. The wasps flying around the terrace were rather big, but they left us in peace.
As opposite to our normal behavior my wife and I ordered the same dishes.
As starters we had “Spaghetti with Dorset crab, fennel herb and seed, fresh chili and lemon”, of which I forgot to take a picture off. It was impeccable! With lots of crab in it, the lemon gave it a real fresh touch. The only thing I would have done different, is that I would have put a small piece of crab leg on top of the dish, like a medallion. For this starter alone we would return to the Grange (if only it would be no 445 km away from here)

By this time it was getting chillier and chillier, the sky was getting very grey, which was not promising at all. The restaurant was now fully seated.

Next was “wood roasted diver scallops and line caught sea bass with herbs and summer vegetables”
With –good Belgians as we are – chunky chips. I had to ask what “diver” was, I even pronounced it wrong.
The scallops, although cooked through were very tasty and succulent. The ‘cuisson’ of the fish was impeccable and flavorsome. The vegetables (oh no! peas! Which reminded me of a school travel, way back in the 70’s, where we had “big garden peas” with every meal in London). But these peas were really delicious. I myself would not have put the lemon on the plate (you know, lemon was used in the old days to disguise the taste of not-so-fresh fish, but nowadays that is no longer necessary, and certainly not on this plate!)

The natives on the inside were looking - with a smile admiring our courage – worried at us - poor people on the terrace - while it was raining cats and dogs. The parasol above us kept the rain only
10 cm away from me.

When asked by the young, friendly and nice waitress if we wanted a dessert (puddings in English?!?) Gina ordered “Apricot and pistachio financier with lemon ice cream”. Even though we had not the faintest idea what ‘financier’ was, it sounded good and we had gained confidence in the kitchen team. I am not a big ‘pudding fan’ so I asked if it was possible – being not on the menu - to have an Irish Coffee, which was no problem at all. Gina’s dessert looked good, again presented on a slate, and tasted marvelous. My Irish Coffee was huge and – the only minor point of the evening – lacked a bit of sugar.

All in all we had a great time and diner, not expensive, served by very friendly waiters and waitresses. Maybe, but now I am really nitpicking, I kind of did not like the way the young waiter was dressed (jeans and a white T-shirt) yet I am always wearing t-shirts and jeans myself.
Quite a lot of people around us were relishing their pizzas, for which this place seems to be known for aswell.

We hope one day we can enjoy this kitchenagain.

3 Thank belgianpurple
Wiltshire, United Kingdom
“Fabulous food, service and evening”
Reviewed 18 July 2010

Fabulous food, service and evening