“A wonderful place for all”
Review of The Lighthouse

The Lighthouse
Ranked #2 of 32 Frome B&B and Inns
Dundee, United Kingdom
“A wonderful place for all”
Reviewed 23 August 2012

I recently spent 4 wonderful nights at the Lighthouse. The tranquil setting, the care and attention to detail in my room and in public areas, the hospitality and the beautifully prepared and served food allowed me to relax fully into my stay. In fact I have not felt so well looked after in every respect before. I have come home feeling rejuvenated and replenished. This is a wonderful place for all.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank Jane T

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
essex,England
Reviewed 19 August 2012

Stayed at this B&B with my son and husband the room was very clean but lack of natural light in rooms was an issue felt very stuffy, beds were shocking full of springs. The breakfast was gluten free but very poor 2 small sausage scrambled egg 1 tom and very over cooked really disappointed. there was no one there to speak to on check out. now i know why they took full payment on arrival very over priced.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
11 Thank Abby3012
JanetWilliams, Owner at The Lighthouse, responded to this review, 19 July 2015
SInce this review in August 2012, the Stables bedrooms have undergone significant renovation to triple the size of the windows and increase natural light and ventilation. The windows are electrically operated with a rain sensor and electric blinds. The beds all have memory foam toppers and the breakfast menu has been altered to reflect any consistent feedback from our guests.
London, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 August 2012

I have been staying at the lighthouse with my family for a few years now, my daughter who is now three and into everything is always welcomed and the toy box available is a source of endless fun. Older kids have puzzles and dominos to play with if they are not into the great outdoors. My fondest memories are being at the lighthouse on a fine day with the pool busy with locals and people staying all milling around, relaxing, enjoying the pool and the awesome vista. The cafe adds to all of this, as someone who chooses not to eat some foods its fabulous to be somewhere where you can have everything on the menu and having tried every dish over the years all are delicious, especially the new addition of nut hearts that are melt in your mouth heaven! The staff are always friendly and accommodating to our needs.

I can't recommend a stay here more, it has everything you could want.

Enjoy,

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Vanessa H
Oxfordshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 August 2012

This is a peaceful and pretty place. The thought and care gone into designing the glass fronted corridors for the stable conversions is impressive, as is the decor of the room and bathroom. Soft, subtle tones, gorgeous touch-sensitive lamps, HUGE bed, super shower cubicle and toiletries... lots of positives. The tea tray alone impressed me a lot as I am always fed up with what to do with the tea bags instead of juggle them to the bin. As previous reviewers have mentioned, no dairy but as I do not have milk in drinks, this was fine. I would love to have arrived early enough to try one of the delicious-sounding dishes in the very attractive cafe on site but it was Sunday and we were an hour too late. (Note v good meals at The George at Nunney with its magnificent castle ruin and moat as v close village pub is shut on Sunday evenings) We had chosen this place for its pool and setting mainly and these were available. A brief hour of summerish sunshine allowed us to dip but it was colder than any other outdoor pool I have been in for years. Once in, lovely though. SUper views from the terrace to the small lake - lovely. Breakfast was fine for me but a challenge for the fussier of my children! A healthy spread and I appreciated the fruit salad and teas I enjoy at home. The sugar was not missed in the delicious sugar-free jam either. Smoked mackerel and scambled eggs was a healthy start to the day - just not my favourite hotel breakfast. It was nice to see a place doing so well at a healthy meal though. The room really was an attractive suprise and very clean indeed it was just very hot indeed and I should have tackled the pole device to open up the velux so high above us but I feared the rain forecasted. Insense sticks and coat hooks by door all added to the feel that someone had planned and cared. Noisy man on phone calls and snored for hours meant not so well-sound proofed or he was very loud! Not sure which. A lovely place for a quiet break and congratulation to the interior designer!

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank LilacT
Worthing, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 August 2012

Stayed at this hotel whilst attending a wedding, hotel is about 5/10 min drive from the shops, you can't really walk as on dual carriage way. The hotel is made from converted stables, they are exceptionally clean, well decorated and cosy, quite small but ok for the two nights. The room was really hot and we had no way of cooling it down, it got so unbareable we had to open our main door onto the corridor in the middle of the night just so I didn't pass out! Do not stay here if you like your big english breakfasts! I don't think we did our research when booking but all the food is gluten and dairy free, this was fine by me but my fiancé didn't appriciate the lack of food on the fry up menu! We also found that the buffet table for the bread, cereal, salad and drinks were empty and we had to keep asking for it to be topped up. Also it says no alcohol on site is permitted! We couldn't use the pool due to the bad weather but it looked lovely. We are a young couple but like the peace a quiet, we defiantly found it here and this hotel did sound a lot better then the ones our relatives stayed at in the area.

• Stayed August 2012
8 Thank Lottie2211
JanetWilliams, Owner at The Lighthouse, responded to this review, 17 August 2012
The Lighthouse Management have addressed the issue of the rooms being hot, which admittedly it was last weekend!

We now have fans available for all our rooms upon request.
Cologne, Germany
Reviewed 14 August 2012

I visited The Lighthouse several times in the last years and every time it is like coming home.
The rooms are clean and cosy and you can feel the staff´s care to make you feel home.
The staff is very caring, warmhearted and supportive but at the same time you can just be yourself and don´t get imposed on.
The countryside is beautiful and spacious and invites one to let go and to breathe freely; great for walks or just a sunny day at the pool.
I very much liked the food and the teas they offer in their teahouse called "Love in a Cup". It´s not only healthy and tasty but cooked and served with love. You may find it unusual that they don´t serve dairy, alcohol or gluten but why not - it´s delicious and light and actually a rewarding and inspiring experience I definitely would recommend.
Overall a very supportive place when you like to let go and give yourself a regenerating and deeply relaxing and nurturing time.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Alex B
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 August 2012

I regularly visit The Lighthouse either for lunch, to use the amazing Creative Aquatic swimming pool, or to stay overnight, It is a very tranquil, restful setting, with beautifully maintained environment and rooms. Love in a Cup serves very healthy and hearty food, with many choices. There are beautiful walks, and also an open air swimming pool for when the weather gets hot (and a place to eat outside on sunny days too). The other great thing about the Lighthouse is that it is a good place to base yourself if you and your family wanted to explore places around such as Longleat, Bath, Wells, Stourhead etc so there is much to see around and beyond theLighthouse too. There is ample free parking as well.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled solo