“Potentially a good concept, just not right for me” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Lighthouse

The Lighthouse
Ranked #2 of 32 Frome B&B and Inns
“Potentially a good concept, just not right for me”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2013 via mobile

I didn't really understand this hotel. It was very quiet and peaceful, our room was lovely and they had prepared our additional child bed in advance (lots of hotels could learn from this!!!) however as a family using the hotel as a base for longleat it didn't really work for us, my 5 year old felt that gluten free cornflakes and coconut milk was not a good combo! I think perhaps this element of the hotel was not as clear as it should be when we booked. Maybe it would be better for the lighthouse to concentrate on the 'holistic retreat' angle and therefore avoid a breakfast room full of perplexed children who prefer their day to start with a more conventional menu, or if this does not generate enough revenue day to day, just concentrate on offering a beautiful location with great food that does appeal to the longleat masses. Sadly I can only recommend to the gluten/ dairy free - even then you have to venture to the decidedly less gluten/ dairy free pub down the road if you fancy a snifter of alcohol. Confused!

• Stayed August 2013
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
6 Thank Debbie19741
JanetWilliams, Owner at The Lighthouse, responded to this review, 24 November 2013
Thank you for your feedback. Our younger guests and families are very important to us, and we are looking to provide some new ideas for childrens' breakfasts to appeal to all taste buds. We already have a great kids' lunch menu with familiar choices such as sausages & beans, pasta etc.

Our Longleat guests generally love the place, so no doubt these additions will be enjoyed by everyone.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
Worthing, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 July 2013

The accommodation choices for this area, which includes Longleat, fail to specify that this is NOT a Hotel, it is a health spa with a no-alcohol policy, glutin free, etc. The advertised swimming pool is NOT open due to 'health and safety' reasons. The rooms are converted horse stables and are incredibly hot, with no external ventilation. All very nice if you want a health spa, not so useful if you think you are booking standard accommodation. Beware - this is misselling by Venere and other comparison sites who have either been mis-informed or don't know what they are selling.
The place is, however, very peaceful and well run, in an excellent location, but you need to know what you are buying! If you want gluten free and peace, 100%, if you want a drink and a smoke, forget it!

Room Tip: Read the web site before booking this - this is not an hotel, it is a health/faith spa.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
18 Thank Peter R
The Lighthouse does indeed offer a particular ambience and quality of service which is different from the norm. As a health and well-being centre, we welcome anyone who is looking for a tranquil, beautiful environment with great facilities - be it families, business visitors, couples or individuals looking for a place to relax and unwind, or simply a base from which to explore the area.

We do our best to advertise the unique qualities of the Lighthouse as clearly as possible on our website and other marketing material.
Hong Kong, China
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 July 2013

My room was great although lacking of natural light and more to the point ventilation as the roof window is very small and difficult to open.
My room was well equipped and spotlessly clean. The place is quiet and I had a great night sleep. I only realised once I had checked in that the place is actually a retreat and therefore some rules can put people off. No alcohol allowed on the premises, no caffeine, no dairy products and only gluten free products. This is stated on the B&B website but not on the lateroom website where I booked so can understand some of the comments made here.

Saying that I had a great night sleep and a lovely breakfast. I will be back!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
3 Thank ThierryBMaidenhead
Frome, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 June 2013

I am a local and enjoy popping in for lunch on my days off. The food is fresh and healthy and I feel very price comparable with many other places I have been to. I love the fact there is no wheat or dairy in the food as I have found that the older I have become the more intolerant I am to these products, so I can eat here without feeling bloated or uncomfortable after a meal. I love the variation of herbal teas that are on offer. i would recommend it to everyone but especially if you have wheat or dairy allergies.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled solo
3 Thank Alison M
Bruton
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 June 2013

I am a local to the Lighthouse and pop into "Love in a Cup" teahouse on a regular basis. I love the food as I am gluten and dairy free and the light meals suit me perfectly. All meals are lovingly prepared and tasty. I work full time during the week and don't have much fee time at home for cooking, so I even buy take away frozen meals! I am always greeted with warm and friendly service and it is always a pleasure to visit.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled solo
4 Thank Rachel M
Melbourne, Australia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 June 2013

We were disappointed with the food.

It was expensive and not good.

Even though we paid quite a lot, there was not much on the plate and we felt ripped off.

Recommend another place to eat if you stay here.

Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
10 Thank Mark L
The 'Love in a Cup' teahouse is advertised very clearly as gluten & dairy free on our website and marketing material to manage customers' expectations. The focus of the business is on providing nutritious and supportive foods and refreshments. We use unprocessed ingredients and local produce which does raise the price of our meals slightly compared to high street eateries. In the past few months the teahouse was awarded second place in the Taste of Somerset awards, and we can assure potential customers that the quality of food and service is of a very high quality.
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 June 2013

I have recently stayed at The Lighthouse and I really enjoyed the food that was served. The breakfast, the cakes (gluten and dairy free), the chicken with broccoli and hummus were absolutely amazing. But I have to say that my favorite one was the lamb and squash curry, that was delicious. I even asked them to take home some frozen ones.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family