“Things you need to know prior to booking.”
Review of The Lighthouse

The Lighthouse
Ranked #2 of 32 Frome B&B and Inns
Leicester, United Kingdom
“Things you need to know prior to booking.”
Reviewed 1 May 2014

We stayed here over the Easter weekend and were pleasantly surprised to find that glutton and dairy free didn't mean bad breakfasts!! They were great and the staff will basically do your breakfast exactly the way you want it.
What ruined the trip for us was the fact that there were no windows in the room. We did have a tiny skylight that opened a fraction. It felt a bit like being in a prison cell as the room was small and dominated by the bed. The whole place was airless and hot, even with the heating off. The skylight was very high up and offered no fresh air. There was obviously no view!! It felt very confined and not a pleasant room to spend the time in. I woke each morning with puffy eyes and feeling tired due to the lack of air. (No windows were open in the main hotel and it wa a beautiful weekend.... Summer would be unbearable.). Room details should have made it clear about there being no window.
Facilities were o.k but because the room was so small there was no chair. There was no where to hang towels in the bathroom, so towels were left damp.
On the good side, staff were excellent. Very friendly and helpful. We had the use of a small kitchenette with a fridge, so we bought are own normal milk and kept it in there. Grounds are lovely and make a pleasant area for a stroll round the small lake in the grounds.
Overall, we wouldn't stay again because the room did not make for a restful and relaxing weekend that we had expected.

Room Tip: Check what room you have. No mention is made on the room details about the lack of a window.
4 Thank Jacqui W

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
Devon UK
Reviewed 29 April 2014

For all those of you who require a Gluten, Dairy and Alcohol free diet The Lighthouse is an absolutely IDEAL place to stay. Fortunately I require none of these restrictions and was rather dismayed to find that this hotel does not offer any dairy, gluten options so we were forced to have a dairy, gluten & ALCOHOL free weekend! I found tea & coffee with either soya or coconut milk rather strange! I did look at the website before booking & I'm pretty sure it was not made clear? On the positive side the place was beautiful with very comfortable bedrooms. The way to the breakfast area from our "disabled" room did, however, include a steepish 3 steps with no rail that my husband found rather difficult. We could have gone via an outside route on the flat but it was, at the time, pouring with rain. So all in all a mixed review?

4 Thank ChristineKelly
Island of Gozo, Malta
Reviewed 28 April 2014

I have just had a peaceful 3 days at the Lighthouse. From the moment I arrived until the morning I left the service was great. The staff made you feel very welcome and nothing was to much trouble. Great place to stay.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

1 Thank wilts0
Gosport, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 April 2014

I have just got back from a fabulous weekend away for my husbands birthday and the Lighthouse certainly made it a weekend to remember.

From the moment we arrived until the morning we left, the service was faultless. The staff made you feel very welcome and nothing was to much trouble for them. We arrived earlier than the check in check so were not able to get into our room however they showed us all around and were made to feel at home straight away.

The setting for this B&B is amazing and it sits in some beautiful land.

Every where was so spotless and the bed was very comfy.

Breakfast was beautiful and very fresh. It certainly set us up for the day ahead at Longleat Safari Park.

Thank you to the team for a wonderful stay.

Barnstaple, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 April 2014

I stayed here a few weeks ago, although not by choice, it was booked via a company as part of something else I was doing so I knew nothing about this hotel until I actually got there. First of all it was quite hard to spot. Satnav took me straight there, but I was expecting a hotel sign to be ready to alert me to its presence and it did not. I drove straight past. This is because the Lighthouse is essentially a renovated farmhouse and all you can see from the road are red-brick walls.
Once inside it is a pleasant surprise. The building is beautiful, both inside and out, and the grounds are gorgeous. The staff are very friendly and helpful and escort you to your room. There are rooms in the main house and also in the stables, which can be reached from the main house without having to go to the trouble of going outside. I was in the end of the Stables, which also happened to be a disabled room, so I got a nice big shower room/toilet. I don't know what size the bathroom in the others rooms was. Everything was spotlessly clean. The bed was very comfortable with a memory foam top layer. The heating was underfloor heating and it was very easy to adjust, although the lady who showed me to my room did say it took a while to warm up if I was going to turn it up.
We were given lunch while we were there and also had breakfast. The food was absolutely lovely. There was plenty of choice for breakfast, cooked, cereal, toast, the usual stuff. BUT... not the usual stuff at all because the whole hotel is gluten free, dairy free, caffeine free, and worst of all, alcohol free. Now if you go here expecting this and have a made a conscious choice that this is what you want - great! For me it was a bit of a shock. I am not alcoholic, but a nice drink of an evening if you are staying away is a bit of a treat, and I do like milk in my tea.
The hotel is out in the middle of nowhere too, which was wonderful at night because it was very peaceful and relaxing, but not so great when you wanted an evening meal and the pub down the road was fully booked.
Having said all that, I still think this is a wonderful hotel and one of the best I have stayed in.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank devongirlie67
Worthing, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 February 2014

I chose to treat myself to a special birthday weekend retreat with friends at the Lighthouse knowing that I would love the surroundings, the delicious choice of gluten and dairy free food on offer and how warm and welcoming the people are who work there. Everything was perfect and my special birthday lunch celebration was so beautifully prepared. Thank you so much to the Lighthouse team who helped to make my weekend truly special.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 January 2014

What a great place, if you are looking for somewhere positive, with a good feeling and very pleasant staff look no further. The setting is lush and beautiful and the food is healthy and prepared with love. It surpassed my already high expectations and I will be back.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled solo