“Nice hotel that suited our needs”
Review of The Lighthouse

The Lighthouse
Ranked #2 of 32 Frome B&B and Inns
Weybridge, United Kingdom
“Nice hotel that suited our needs”
Reviewed 16 May 2014

After a long exhausting day in Bath, my girlfriend and I planned to go to Longleat Safari the day after. Usually the latest time to check-in was 4, but we weren't arriving until 8PM. The staff there kindly said they would wait until our arrival. When we arrived we were greeted with a kind face who showed us our room.
The room was clean and provided everything we needed. The shower was powerful, the toilet clean and the bed comfy. I personally liked the incense stick in the room. We asked if they could recommend a restaurant for us, which can sometimes be tricky because my girlfriend is wheat and dairy intolerant. They suggested an Indian restaurant down the road, which we went to, and enjoyed our meal.
The night's sleep was fairly decent, I am personally not a big fan of memory foam mattresses but a lot of people love them. Shutting the blind at the top of the ceiling with the long pole hook provided was quite a challenge, but was more fun than anything.
The following morning we went to get breakfast, and there was a nice selection of bread and cereals and also cooked breakfast to order. All dairy and wheat free, which tasted great. My girlfriend wanted to get some sort of gluten free lunch to take with her for our trip to Longleat. The staff were very helpful and made her a delicious lunch to take away.

All in all we were pretty satisfied with our stay at The Lighthouse and would recommend to anyone.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 May 2014

I have been there in May and I would like to say I found it nothing as compared to the other hotels of same price range, its a small family run B&B which does not have any facilities of a four star accomodation, the fishing pond and the big land property associated with this not at all well nurtured or maintained. Given a chance I would not like to go back to this place again at all. I really dont know in which basis it has got four star ranking, but after travelling through out the world and staying in very good hotels, I found it really not worth for my hard earned money.

Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
9 Thank Soumitri C
JanetWilliams, Owner at The Lighthouse, responded to this review, 20 May 2014
We would like to make it clear that the Lighthouse is a Guest House and not a Hotel. If you look at the website it clearly presents what facilities we have, and as a family run bed & breakfast we do not have the facilities such as gym, spa etc although there is a beautiful indoor swimming pool in the business next door which guests are welcome to use.

The grounds around the Lighthouse are kept impeccably neat and tidy by our Maintenance team, but if you visited last weekend I can concur that the parkland grass was not yet cut as we are waiting for the right conditions for the farmer to do so (we have had a lot of rain!).
Bath
Reviewed 11 May 2014

We dropped in after a wonderful Sunday morning swim with our toddler. Subsequently reading the other comments here I wouldn't have even considered it. As someone who has travelled the world and been welcomed by Buddhist, Taoist and Ayurvedic hosts, I find it hysterical that a small cafe in rural Somerset can choose to display such awful customer service and hide behind some partially understood values which, at there core, demand tolerance, inclusiveness and warmth. Your menu can serve anything you choose to display, but if the core values are missing, you have little to hide behind. I am disappointed by the lack of understanding in their own core values and the prejudice to those with children. The owners may find that the path to true enlightenment is not artisan teas and coconut milk rather a smile, a welcoming word and someone to take your order.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
9 Thank Dan81Bath
JanetWilliams, Owner at The Lighthouse, responded to this review, 12 May 2014
As the owner, I am pleased that it was myself who was in the cafe on Sunday and remember when you came in. I was standing at the till and welcomed you, and you took some time settling with your son, so I served another customer, who ordered something that I had to go to our freezer to pick up. By the time I got back you had left.

Your comments are not a true reflection of the warmth and care we give to all of our customers, and it is unfortunate that you saw things in such a negative light in the brief time you were in the cafe. I would invite you to come again any time.
Leicester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 May 2014

We stayed here over the Easter weekend and were pleasantly surprised to find that glutton and dairy free didn't mean bad breakfasts!! They were great and the staff will basically do your breakfast exactly the way you want it.
What ruined the trip for us was the fact that there were no windows in the room. We did have a tiny skylight that opened a fraction. It felt a bit like being in a prison cell as the room was small and dominated by the bed. The whole place was airless and hot, even with the heating off. The skylight was very high up and offered no fresh air. There was obviously no view!! It felt very confined and not a pleasant room to spend the time in. I woke each morning with puffy eyes and feeling tired due to the lack of air. (No windows were open in the main hotel and it wa a beautiful weekend.... Summer would be unbearable.). Room details should have made it clear about there being no window.
Facilities were o.k but because the room was so small there was no chair. There was no where to hang towels in the bathroom, so towels were left damp.
On the good side, staff were excellent. Very friendly and helpful. We had the use of a small kitchenette with a fridge, so we bought are own normal milk and kept it in there. Grounds are lovely and make a pleasant area for a stroll round the small lake in the grounds.
Overall, we wouldn't stay again because the room did not make for a restful and relaxing weekend that we had expected.

Room Tip: Check what room you have. No mention is made on the room details about the lack of a window.
4 Thank Jacqui W
Devon UK
Reviewed 29 April 2014

For all those of you who require a Gluten, Dairy and Alcohol free diet The Lighthouse is an absolutely IDEAL place to stay. Fortunately I require none of these restrictions and was rather dismayed to find that this hotel does not offer any dairy, gluten options so we were forced to have a dairy, gluten & ALCOHOL free weekend! I found tea & coffee with either soya or coconut milk rather strange! I did look at the website before booking & I'm pretty sure it was not made clear? On the positive side the place was beautiful with very comfortable bedrooms. The way to the breakfast area from our "disabled" room did, however, include a steepish 3 steps with no rail that my husband found rather difficult. We could have gone via an outside route on the flat but it was, at the time, pouring with rain. So all in all a mixed review?

4 Thank ChristineKelly
Island of Gozo, Malta
Reviewed 28 April 2014

I have just had a peaceful 3 days at the Lighthouse. From the moment I arrived until the morning I left the service was great. The staff made you feel very welcome and nothing was to much trouble. Great place to stay.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

1 Thank wilts0
Gosport, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 April 2014

I have just got back from a fabulous weekend away for my husbands birthday and the Lighthouse certainly made it a weekend to remember.

From the moment we arrived until the morning we left, the service was faultless. The staff made you feel very welcome and nothing was to much trouble for them. We arrived earlier than the check in check so were not able to get into our room however they showed us all around and were made to feel at home straight away.

The setting for this B&B is amazing and it sits in some beautiful land.

Every where was so spotless and the bed was very comfy.

Breakfast was beautiful and very fresh. It certainly set us up for the day ahead at Longleat Safari Park.

Thank you to the team for a wonderful stay.