“Fantastic Venue”

Ranked #9 of 32 Frome B&B and Inns
Hemel Hempstead, United Kingdom
“Fantastic Venue”
Reviewed 27 May 2014

Where do you start - This wonderful Hotel - Restaurant - Bar - Reception venue is steeped in history and was fabulous. Fantastic building with its covered courtyard corridor with nooks and crannies all along the passage giving entry to coffee lounges, bar areas, breakfast room and dining areas and leading to a lovely courtyard with tables and chairs with plenty of space.

Our room number 10 was reached up a lovely spiral staircase off the courtyard was excellent with plenty of space, well equipped, comfortable bed, nice shower/wash/toilet room all combined with lovely room service. Room facilities included Tea, Coffee, free mineral drinks cabinet, papers etc.

We were members of a Wedding Party of 60, not everyone stayed at Archangel, but they did come to Reception for Drinks, Dinner and Evening Buffet. Everyone in our group had a fabulous time, had plenty to eat and drink. The food was presented wonderfully and was superb with the service being first rate. The all round Quality provision was exceptional. First Class throughout.

The staff lead by Eve were great and they couldn't do enough for us. One of our party missed the Reception Dinner, so the chef cooked him up a Steak Meal free of charge.

Thank you Eve and all your staff so very much for providing us with such a Fabulous Venue, Wedding Reception and a weekend to remember. Truly outstanding throughout.

Next time we are in the area there is only one place for us to go ..... Archangel.

Many Many Thanks

Richard & Eunice

Room Tip: Marvelous Throughout. We stayed in Courtyard Rooms which were excellent.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (78)
Northfl
Reviewed 26 May 2014

If you want an early night its not the place for you. We thought the music was coming out the speakers but it was downstairs in the bar. We stayed in room 3 and we thought the room would be large looking at the pics but it was quite small. Floors were very squeaky and ours squeaked when people were walking outside our room. Didnt appreciate the glass collector outside twice at 6am though.

Good parts:
Bar man was excellent at making cocktails when I said I wanted fruity and vodka! Was lush and he took time to perfect it. Service was quick at the bar. Bath was the best part of the room and was plenty big enough! Offering newspapers and an alarm service was a good gesture. Breakfast was average.

• Stayed May 2014
Reviewed 24 May 2014

I really enjoyed my stay. As the hotel was quiet I was offered a free upgrade which is a lovely touch and I really appreciated it. They also arranged room service for me even though it was quite late. I'd got back after a long day filming so I was hungry and very grateful! The food was really nice. The bathtub blew my mind! I'll be back as soon as I can.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Jasleenks
Horndon-on-the-Hill, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 May 2014

we could not fault our stay at the archangel.
we stayed in small double at £100 and we was number 10, upstairs in the back garden of restaurant, there was birthday party and several other people in garden til late at night and after reading all reviews we was very aware that noise seems to be an issue, coming from Essex noise to us is normal, however, we had every window open tele on low and we didn't hear anyone or anything, so I think people who wrote reviews were being very harsh, it is in village it is part of restaurant your bound to get mumbling noise but really nothing to complain about it was 25 degrees when we stayed we had fan in our room all windows open, cleanliness spot on.

100% worth the money.
staff very friendly and professional.

food was superb, breakfast was amazing dinner was a winner and not overpriced, highly recommended.

we had long journey and a very long day at longleat so when we checked in we wanted to relax freshen up n go for dinner and its such calm relaxed atmosphere 100% go again,

excellent job guys.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Louise816
Cirencester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 May 2014

We stayed here on the Saturday of the May Day bank holiday. Our room was quite noisy as the weather was so beautiful the courtyard was being used and people were sat right outside our room talking and laughing. So it isn't a place we could have had a romantic getaway! We decided to join them and have a drink and read of the papers in the sun. Our room was small but really well decorated and the shower was powerful. The price was good for a bank holiday weekend and the breakfast was excellent - so all in all I can't complain. However if I was coming back i'd probably ask for a room in the hotel as I do like to relax when I am away.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank turace
Ipswich, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 May 2014

I booked this hotel as it appeared at the top of the list on this site and the price was very attractive. The place has been recently upgraded and, for the most part, in very good taste. The room opened directly onto the courtyard so was noisy until 23.00, when they close the courtyard, and was small but very comfortable. When I booked it was made clear that the room was small but it was more than adequate for a one night stay.
I also booked a table in the restaurant to take my daughter out for dinner. Although a very limited menu the food was excellent. My daughter is still raving about the Blackcurrant Souffle!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Harlow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 May 2014

I stayed in one of the standard double rooms in the courtyard. The actual bar is lovely and the staff our welcoming however I was very disappointed with the room. The carpet was muddy and dirty and the shower had other people's hair still in it. The 'bathroom' was in a dinky cupboard-like room and so there was not much room to move about after getting out of the shower. There was an emergency light by the door which glowed bright green all day and night which caused problems trying to sleep. The courtyard was extremely loud until the bar closed and there was a feeling of lack of privacy and it was possible to hear the people next door snoring during the night. Lastly there was a distinct smell of sick in the corner of the room.

I would definately go and drink and socialise in the bar because it is amazingly decorated and I can't fault the breakfast but I would not stay in the rooms again and I do not think mine was worth £90.00 a night.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple