“Very welcoming,great for family holiday”

The Full Moon at Rudge
Ranked #28 of 32 Frome B&B and Inns
Banstead, United Kingdom
“Very welcoming,great for family holiday”
Reviewed 4 September 2012

This was our second holiday at The Full Moon (we had a short break here last year and came back for full week at the end of August this year). Everyone was very helpful and the accommodation was perfect for us. We took the self-catering cottage option but also booked breakfasts in the pub for a couple of days - breakfasts were lovely, more than big enough and really well cooked. The swimming pool was a massive hit with our 2 boys and it's only a short journey to get to Longleat which is also a brilliant day out. If you want a relaxed country holiday and a very warm welcome then this is a super place to stay. We enjoyed it so much we are coming back again next year!

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank debbie w

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
Telford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 August 2012

We booked to stay here after a day trip to the very local Longleat and were very much looking forward to our stay after seeing the pictures online that suggest it is quite a modern but cosy country hotel...it wasnt all bad by any means but we were disappointed.

First lets start with the good points...
All the staff we encountered during our stay were very friendly and helpful and the hotel offer a discount on tickets into Longleat. The heated indoor pool is lovely and clean and warm and a very nice little addition especially if you have small children, which we do. Breakfast was lovely and they went out of their way to make sure our daughter was catered for too. The room was also clean.

Now for the negatives...
The accommodation is on the other side of the car park and away from the main building and there is no outside lighting provided which made getting the baby from the car into the room in the dark in an unfamiliar car park a little treacherous.
Although we booked a standard double, they put us in the ground floor family/disabled room, which instead of being presented as the sleek cosy rooms shown online seemed to be a mismatch of all the old furniture and accessories no longer require elsewhere in the hotel. It was very dated and shabby with holes in the wall, loose flooring(which my husband slipped on and jarred his back), chipped mugs (with matching smashed to smithereens biscuits), enormous dark heavy furniture and a dominating set of bunk beds. The room was freezing cold on our arrival, the heating wasnt switched on and the electric heater provided did not work and even if it had it would not have been safe to use with small children running around, which seems a bit bizarre given that it was a family room, however we did get them to put the central heating on for us eventually. We also noticed we could hear every footstep in the room above us and because there is laminate flooring throughout the rooms it sounded like a heard of elephants!
The bathroom, although spacious was also freezing cold and never warmed up during our stay and had the look and the smell of a public convenience. Although on inspection it seemed to be of an acceptable standard with regards cleanliness. However, the shower head was inch thick with lime scale and the shower head itself would not stay up on the height adjustment which meant my 6ft 3in husband was having a shower with the water aimed at his belly button!!...after eventually managing to have a shower successfully I then went in hunt of the hairdryer to find something that looked like it may well have belonged to Barbie at some point in the last 30 years...it was so small and useless it took me 20 mins just to get my hair dry..it would have been more effective to have my husband blow on the back of my head!!..

It was just such a shame as this place has the potential to be something really special, and having read a lot of other glowing reports on the hotel I can only presume that we were put in the worst room in the house, the family room, as we have a baby and they dont want them trashing the nice rooms perhaps??...however it wasnt the room that I booked and payed for and therefore would not be tempted to do so again in future.

Room Tip: Dont let them give you room 15!!
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
fullmoonsomerset, Owner at The Full Moon at Rudge, responded to this review, 14 September 2012
Thank you for your comments, and glad you found the staff friendly and enjoyed the pool.

We did put you in a family room rather than a double as it offered more space than any of the doubles that were available that night. Family rooms are more expensive than doubles, but as the room was available and you had told us you were bringing your own cot, we thought it would be a nice gesture (you paid our standard double rate of £89). Being a Sunday night, there were doubles available and we could easily have moved you to a different room if we had realised you were unhappy.

I'm sorry the outside lights weren't on when you were unloading the car. They're on a timer (currently set to 7.30pm - 00.30), so obviously something had gone wrong there and thank you for bringing it to our attention. We also didn't have the central heating switched on for your arrival and it's true that this Summer the fact it was the August Bank Holiday has been no guarantee of good weather!

There is some noise of floorboards from the rooms above (which are carpeted). We did some work last winter and the situation is much improved, and we will be doing more as part of our maintenance program this winter.

We hope you enjoyed your visit to Longleat.
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 August 2012

I was a little nervous when I first entered the Moon. I was travelling on my own between friends in Bath and Southampton and had found a room last minute for a very reasonable price. It was a little off the main road and at first glance the bar had that 'local' to it, something of the city dweller in me thought it to be a little too Rural.
However, as soon as I checked in I was greeted by incredibly warm, welcoming staff who probably picked up how I was feeling and made me feel right at home. This friendly welcome was extended throughout the duration of my stay, as I was quite late to arrive I got a chance to chat to a waiter whilst having dinner, who then invited me to the bar afterwards. A Much better plan than sitting in my room getting an early night, as it turned out all the staff and locals were just as friendly and approachable.
I should say, the food was very good. The beef was great and, maybe I'm just a sucker for sweets but, the desert (Rudge mess I think) was Delicious. The room was basic, but it was clean and had everything I needed including en suite with a shower and as soon as I got back from the bar I was out like a light.
I wish I could have tried the pool and had time to make friends with the staff properly, but if I am ever in that part of the UK again I'll definitely pop back in. Lovely place.

Room Tip: Try to get a room in the main pub building, other reviews seem to paint outside ones in a bad light.
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled solo
Wellington, New Zealand
Reviewed 10 July 2012 via mobile

Stayed here prior to a wedding in Frome. The main pub looks great but after check in we were directed to one of the other buildings which a completely different character to the old pub. The floors creaked, the room looked like it was modelled on a travel lodge, the bed was uncomfortable and you could hear the other residents beneath us in the family room. Overall very disappointed.

• Stayed June 2012
2 Thank Anthony G
Guildford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 July 2012

Given the plaudits that seem to have been heaped on this country pub, I had expected something with a bit more of the 'wow' factor. Instead, we found the accomodation to be fairly basic and a bit dated (those carpets!). I wish I could have been more positive in this review, but average is the only word I can use. The rooms, particularly our bathroom, need serious updating. I don't think I have ever stayed somewhere charging nearly £100 per night where the 'shower' is just one of those rubber hose things to stick over the end of the taps. The bed was not very comfortable and the walls were paper thin. We could hear every word from our neighbours and were woken by the door banging in the early hours.
The breakfast was, what word to use? - average. Presentation on the serve yourself table left a lot to be desired (a flowery plastic tablecloth!) but at least the coffee was good.
Don't book into this pub expecting anything special, but it is OK for a night.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Peter Mills
Frome, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 June 2012

We came for lunch on Sunday 25th June and unfortunately were disappointed with the carvary, we have been coming to the full moon for a number of years and feel the food has definitely gone down hill, the chef cutting the meat was very unfriendly and we had to wait for them to come out of the kitchen instead of being around for the whole sitting. We use too come with a large family but will be looking elsewhere to go for our Sunday lunch now as the food is NOT what it use to be. On the plus side the staff behind the bar were very friendly. Such a shame as we use to love coming here.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
6 Thank Hayley P

Travellers are raving about these Frome hotels

Darlington, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 March 2012

I've travelled All over the world and stayed in many hotels but this has to be one of the nicest.I'm staying for 3 months so it was important to find somewhere to settle, and this place is a find for any traveller. The staff are friendly ,nothings too much trouble.The rooms are comfy and well equipped with all you need with stunning views,my room has a view of one of the Wiltshire white horses-breathtaking.The cottages have superbly equipped kitchens(washing machine ,microwave,dishwasher-what more could a girl need?!!) and comfortable sitting rooms .The food is out of this world,excellent choice,can't wait for the Sunday carvery.Above all the heated indoor pool is such a treat ,always clean and at perfect temperature.
Its perfect, would be great if it had exCottage roomsersise bike or rowing machine to work off calories from restaurant!

• Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank legunas
Also consider these accommodations in or near Frome
Premier Inn Frome Hotel
#2 of 32 in Frome
The Place To Stay
The Place To Stay
#5 of 32 in Frome

Been to The Full Moon at Rudge? Share your experiences!