“Good stop over for longleat”

The Full Moon at Rudge
Ranked #29 of 32 Frome B&B and Inns
Reviewed 16 June 2013

Stayed here whilst spending the day at longleat. Nice people hotel food is good, rooms are seperate to pub so quiet, in the countryside in small village but surprisingly busy. Room was quite big and reasonably well equipped, cost £95 for a sat night including breakfast so reasonable value. Would stay again.

Room Tip: Stayed in room 8 up a couple of flights of steep stairs but very quite with good view
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Karen W

Reviewed 19 May 2013

We stayed at The Full Moon for one night to attend a friend's wedding. The reception was held there. On arrival the lady on reception was very friendly. We stayed in one of the rooms in one of the cottages in the courtyard. The room was well presented and clean. The shower was lovely, and the bed was very comfortable too. We had a lovely night's sleep, but I don't think anyone else was staying in the building with us. The floorboards were creaky and as we were upstairs, this might've caused a problem for someone staying below us, but as no-one else was there - I don't think this was an issue at the time. Food wise - we didn't have an evening meal there, but the afternoon and evening buffets we had at the wedding reception were lovely. A lot of the food was home-cooked and of local produce. We had breakfast the next day which was help yourself to cereal, fruit, juices etc... and a choice of croissants and full english breakfast and other choices too - and as a previous reviewer has stated, the bacon was lovely with proper rind!!! Again the staff were very friendly and the service was very good. I cannot comment on the swimming pool and we didn't get to use it, but overall it was a lovely stay. The area is very peaceful too. I would definitely stay here again and I would recommend it to others.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank A_RattyPembrokeshire
Reviewed 19 May 2013

Found this hotel on internet and it looked pretty good, so used it as a stopover for a trip to Longleat Safari Park, was very pleasantly surprised with the service from the landlord, very courteous gent, offered information about the local area, showed me the legendary White Horse hill from the pub car park; We stayed in accommodation opposite the pub, kind of a lodge looking building, Nice spacious, well decorated in classic style, hotel king rooms, also seems to be a bit of a farm but didn't see for myself, just 50 yds down the quiet rural road is a turning for a big country park, just wished I had more time to explore the very local area, but only booked 1 night, I was offered a Family room (at no extra charge) for my elderly Mum as it was on the ground floor of the lodge where we were staying, lovely big room big comfortable double bed, (fresh, clean linen) set of bunk beds in the room, loads of coffee, tea, biscuits. My Mum was cold because of he age and unseasonably cold weather in early April, the landlord put the heaters on full in her room and even supplied an extra portable radiator.
Also good spacious bathroom and a great shower, lots of piping hot water, fantastic.
Dinner was nice in the restaurant, In house local cured ham and pickle which was very tasty and generous portions, served with nicely dressed side salad, and chips a bit greasy but still yummy. Dinner quite reasonably priced.
Breakfast the next day was the only let down really, there were only a few people using the overnight accomodation but still the cook managed to overcook my English Fry up, oh well maybe they were having a bad day or something.
Overall lovely place to stay I would say at least Good*** accomodation. Attentive landlord, the bar seemed very country quaint but didn't use that facility.
So for the price I would say 64 pounds for a room is quite a lot of money, but the room was great, everything you would want and very comfortable, so worth that little bit extra .
Hope this helps when making a decision

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 23 April 2013

After booking online we arrived at this hotel at about 1900hrs, the reception was closed and so we had to find someone in the bar in order to check in. We we allocated a large double room in an exterior building, all seemed well (apart from a rather dirty bathroom) until the people upstairs started moving, talking or breathing. We heard absolutley everything, floor boards were creaking throughout the night and the walls were so thin full conversations could be heard - the tv was turned up loud to counter this! One of the reasons we booked this hotel was for a morning swim on the sunday but on arrival we were told that it wasnt available which was disappointing.

On the plus side the staff were helpful and gave us a £5 discount for the swimming pool and the breakfast was lovely.

Room Tip: Ask for a room upstairs!!
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank CowheadUK
Reviewed 21 April 2013

Just back from a short jaunt to this pub/restaurant with rooms. There was lots to like - the owners and staff are friendly and create a nice, relaxed atmosphere. I was impressed with their very evident desire to ensure their guests were happy. The food was lovely - we ate there in the evening and at breakfast time and the food was freshly produced, not bought in as is so often the case.The evening meal was imaginative and well cooked. The breakfast bacon was great, with proper rinds! Our bed was big and very comfortable and the room was spotlessly clean. The garden has amazing views of the White Horse and it was really pleasant sitting there in the early evening with a glass of very good local cider. What made this less than perfect? Our room was at the end of the corridor and the wall between it and the room next door did not seem to shield us from any noise at all - we could have been in the same room at times. The bathroom was very small and dated and a little frayed around the edges. I am a very light sleeper, so the rooster that started up before dawn was a little trying. However, when you are in the heart of the country, this is to be expected. Would I stay again? Definitely. Would I take earplugs next time - very possibly.

Room Tip: I can only comment on our room (no. 5), but we did have a peek into another one along the corridor a...
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank rocksCardiff
Reviewed 12 April 2013

The Full Moon is a beautiful old inn with a fascinating history,dating back to 1690. The food is extraordinarily good - completely delicious and really well presented. The landlord, Chris Taylor, is very informative, and the staff are helpful and friendly. The snug is full of locals who are lovely, and although I only live in Bath I will definitely go to stay overnight so that I can enjoy more of their glorious food and company, accompanied by plenty of wine!

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank laraine h
Reviewed 17 March 2013

I booked a room and evening meal for two people in advance on the internet and we were assigned a room in the main building. Upon arrival in the afternoon the staff were nowhere to be seen and after calling out in various rooms we eventually located a person and booked in. The young lady on reception was helpful.
We went to our room and as the first impression is the most important this is what we found. A modest room with clean sheets and on suite bathroom. The Roman blind at the window was broken, a picture on the wall had a broken frame and there was no power point adjacent to a mirror to allow easy use of the hair-dryer.
The shower was quite large but the shower head was fixed close to the wall and a shower could only be achieved by standing in the corner. The taps on the basin were so small it was impossible to put a hand under running water. More annoying was the extractor which came on automatically with the bathroom light and seemed to stay on for ages after lights out and was extremely noisy. The bed was comfortable.
To go down to the main part of the pub for our evening meal we had to navigate an unlit corridor with steep stairs at one end but we eventually found the light switch. There seemed to be confusion as to whether we could be fitted in as the restaurant was fully booked. Eventually a booking corresponding to our room number was located and we were shown into the dinning room. The table was laid for 4 people in spite of pre booking but our order was taken without delay. The food arrived,well presented reasonably priced and was very good. I ordered a bottle of wine which was delivered to the table unopened and with no provision to sample it. Our waitress seemed to lose interest in us and there were long periods of waiting between courses. After the dessert course we were finally abandoned until someone other than our waitress came to us and asked if everything was all right and at this point we were able to order coffee and liqueur which arrived promptly. That was the last we saw of the staff and we made our way to bed.
In the morning we came down for breakfast and again we could find no staff. After calling out we were eventually lead to a dining room other than the evening one and there laid out was the usual breakfast fare. Fruit juice, cereal, croissants etc. We were shown to a table this time laid up for 2 people and our cooked breakfast order was taken. There was a wide and varied choice and the food was excellent. However the blaring radio in the kitchen was not to everyone's taste or expectation. Checking out proved as difficult as checking in as again no staff could be found and so the lady who served us breakfast doubled as the receptionist. My bill was presented to me but it was incorrect as the room rate was higher than that agreed in my confirmation email. After lots of apologies the mistake was corrected and we left.
Overall impression is one of management not taking sufficient interest and responsibility for customer care and simply leaving everything to the staff; who if left leaderless will resort to their own devices and will not see the full picture. There is no excuse for a broken blind or picture frame or unlit corridors it simply betrays the lack of supervision and customer care. The devil is always in the detail and there is clearly lots of potential here if only attention could be channelled into the finer points. The location is a winner but much thought by the management is required if this establishment is to reach it's full potential. My usual yardstick is "would I recommend this place to a friend"? Not this time!

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled on business