“A lovely weekend - lovely place to stay” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Combe House Hotel

Combe House Hotel
Ranked #1 of 2 Holford B&B and Inns
Warminster, United Kingdom
“A lovely weekend - lovely place to stay”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 April 2014

My husband and I have just returned from a lovely weekend at this hotel. Our room was wonderful. We had upgraded as a special treat. We ate in the hotel on both evenings. The food was excellent. Internet and phone signal was poor/unreliable, but who cares, the idea was to have a get away! It is a dog friendly hotel and although I don't have a dog it was lovely to see owners getting away with their well behaved hounds - a lovely place to go with them and plenty of lovely walks. My only minor problem was in room 5 - the shower was very weak but when its only for 2 nights a splash and a tickle was enough! Service wasn't the fastest but the girls serving were very busy and didn't seem to stop. Nor could they do enough for you so waiting totally wasn't a problem - well worth the wait. Definitely somewhere to go again.

Room Tip: Worth upgrading for a nice view.
1 Thank mina2710

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (150)
Southampton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 April 2014

This is a lovely hotel in a beautiful location well away from the hustle and bustle of city life.
There maybe no mobile phone signal or reliable WiFi but that is part of the charm, we stayed
2 nights and used the restaurant both evenings , the food is very good especially the breakfast
and excellent service too. We would definitely come back.

Room Tip: Avoid room 8 as the shower is very small.
UK
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 April 2014

I recenty took my husband for a two-night birthday stay at Combe House Hotel.
This hotel itself is very pleasant as were the reception staff.

We stayed in room 1 which was lovely and spacious with a fabulous huge comfortable bed. Bathroom could have done with a little updating but in all the room was very clean and well presented.

As part of our stay we had breakfast included...I have to be honest, I found this a little disappointing after reviews I had previously read about the food at the place. Portions very small and bland, in all pretty average. Also I was a little surprised at the limited hours for breakfast...8am-9:30am. We had stayed, leaving the kids with grandparents for the weekend and were hoping for a lie in which obviously wasn't feasible unless we missed the breakfast. On the plus-side food wise, afternoon tea of scones and the pot of tea we had were quite delicious.

I had enquired about the spa facilities (availability and suitable treatments) several days prior to our stay. The reception staff were great at coming back to us, however, I was told a member of the spa would contact me directly regarding my questions...sadly this never happened. I assumed it was perhaps due to them already being fully booked, however whilst staying my husband pointed out an availability notice on the day which was a little disappointing as we would have liked to have tried the spa out.

The last thing worth mentioning is the wifi or lack of. There is no mobile phone signal or 3G in the hotel or within about 5 miles of the place, which isn't the end of the world. However, the hotel is advertised as having wifi. It appears they do have it but at no point were we able to connect to it at all, even in the reception/bar area where it was stated there would be the best possible signal. I'm sure for many this would not have been a problem but due to a family illness and subsequent bereavement, I was very keen to stay in touch with back home. As this was not possible, we did end up having to cut short the last day of our trip as we couldn't make contact with the family. I appreciate this was our own issue but it seems a little unfair to advertise wifi when clearly there is no chance of picking it up at the place.

Overall though I would say it was a pleasant trip. It is a very quiet area and for a relaxing break it is perfect. We also tried out the closest local pub, the Plough Inn which was great for dinner as an alternative to the restaurant.

• 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank L4R4
Ottery St. Mary, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 April 2014

Booked a two night stay with Groupon and upgraded to a superior room for an extra £30. Party of two couples. As the weather was reasonable we had our cream tea out on the lawn shortly after arriving and it was very nice, huge amount to tuck into - two scones each and a pot of tea. Couple 1 had room 20 at one end of the building - huge room, lovely bathroom, king size bed, really comfortable. Couple 2 had room 10 at the other end of the building. This room has a standard double bed with a separate sitting area. Bathroom is quite large. The first night we decided to eat in the restaurant. The food was gorgeous. As the hotel is nicely tucked away (there is a pub at the end of the road about a 15 minute walk if you want something different) we decided to eat here the second night too. The menu was a lazy Sunday menu so was different from the first night. All the party had a cooked breakfast in the morning. Nicely done, freshly made. Absolutely no problems with the food or service whatsoever. Mobile phone signal (02) slight signal depending on where you pointed your phone. No problems with Wi-Fi in room 20.

Room Tip: Room 20 huge room, lovely soft king size bed, nice bathroom. Room 10 separate sitting area massive b...
Birmingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 April 2014 via mobile

My husband and I stayed at The Combe House hotel (along with our border collie Holly) for my 40th Birthday! We booked our two night break through Groupon and were not disappointed. The bedroom was lovely (no. 14) with a beautiful clean bathroom and a comfy queen size bed. The breakfast was excellent and I would definitely recommend the porridge - yummy! We ate at the hotel for dinner one night and both our meals were excellent. We actually got to meet the cheerful chef who is a credit to the hotel. Our dog Holly was also made very welcome and she was able to sit with us at all mealtimes in the bar area which was very cosy and comfortable. Included in our offer was cream tea with a glass of fizz. We had a huge pot of tea and two homemade scones each with clotted cream and jam - excellent. We thought that Julie and Amy were very friendly and nothing was too much trouble. Although we are usually caravaners we will definitely be back to this lovely haven for a special treat.

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank CraigOCarroll
Maidenhead, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 March 2014

My husband and myself recently returned from a short break at the Combe House Hotel. We really felt that we 'got away from it all' and found the staff to be friendly and efficient. Our room was very comfortable and we had dinner both evenings - the food was delicious. We would thoroughly recommend it to family and friends and would definately consider a return visit.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Sandra V
Taunton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 March 2014

A very pleasant Sunday lunch. Staff were friendly, helpful and professional. Food well above average without being pretentious. Combe House is one of our "special treat" places to visit. There are some beautiful walks up through the Combe and onto the Quantocks.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank D J
Also consider these accommodations in or near Holford
Castle of Comfort Country House
#7 of 17 in Taunton
Northfield Hotel
Northfield Hotel
#3 of 14 in Minehead

Been to Combe House Hotel? Share your experiences!