“Nice retreat and pampering”
Review of Combe House Hotel

Combe House Hotel
Ranked #1 of 2 Holford B&B and Inns
UK
“Nice retreat and pampering”
Reviewed 17 July 2014

A friend and I booked this hotel as a treat to each other as our Christmas present and we had an excellent time here!

The service was great, the food was pretty special and the hotel was really inviting and cosy. It's in a stunning part of the Country with a fossil beach and Dunster castle a short drive away.

We both had really nice treatments in the Treatment Rooms and afternoon tea out on the lawn, retiring for a glass of champagne before getting ready to dine in the restaurant. We took a stroll down to the pub which is 5 minutes away and walked back in the dark! Take a torch if you're intending to do this!

Would recommend :-)

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (167)
Somerset, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 July 2014

On a beautiful afternoon we walked into the Combe House Hotel to have a cream tea in there beautiful garden. The receptionist was cheerful, took our order and told us it would be approx. 5 minutes. We wandered outside and found a table under a tree next to a pretty little stream, with attractive shrubs and trees surrounding us. The tea arrived, unfortunately not in delicate china, but very nicely presented. The scones were a little on the small side, maybe a tad too well done, but there was lashings of clotted cream and jam, and the tea was excellent. The waitresses were both chatty and pleasant, the hotel looked attractive from the outside, the gardens were delightful, a very pleasant afternoon.

Bovey Tracey, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 July 2014

Bought this 2 night stay on a Groupon deal bed b/fast and cream tea,
I have to say this was a really lovely treat, everything was perfect bedroom rather small but this was a groupon deal but the room was very nice pretty shabby chic style décor and very comfortable . we had our first night meal down the road at a local pub which was awful and fairly costly so the following night we booked into the hotel restaurant which was superb the waiting staff were great and the food was even better , breakfast was equally fantastic .
Overrall we had a lovely stay we will certainly go back and recommend this hotel highly.

2 Thank barbara v
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 July 2014

Stayed and ate here on a Friday in mid-July.
The hotel appeared to be fully booked but we were impressed with the service in Reception, the Bar and the Restaurant - in fact, we are sure that the same lady was on duty in all three areas - well done that lady.
Dinner was worth waiting for - we had an 8:45 PM reservation and breakfast was good although the staff were stretched as every guest arrived to eat around the same time on Saturday morning. The gardens are well worth taking in for a post-breakfast stroll.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 July 2014

All of my family stayed here for a weekend to celebrate a 50th wedding anniversary. When we arrived after a tedious drive it was simply stunning. The grounds were beautiful and my room was an excellent size. I was in a superior family room and when I walked in and saw only a double bed I was worried about where I was going to sleep! There was a small closet in which was a z bed, which I wasn't really impressed with. There was however a sofa but on closer inspection we thought it wasn't a sofa bed. The bathroom was nice with lots of space and a beautiful wooden floor and had a bath/shower. We attempted to connect to the wifi with little success we soon discovered that our devices took a couple of hours to connect, but thats ok! The hotel is surrounded by nature so we went to explore and had a very pleasant walk. We asked at reception about the extra bed and they told us the sofa was a bed which I was very happy about!
I had one meal at the hotel which was afternoon tea. I had a delicious brownie and the cream tea was great. I would definitely recommend.
I will also add that the hunt ball was on the Saturday night! It was noisy but the hotel had made sure we had rooms as far away as possible. It finished when they had said it would which was nice.
Overall it was a great trip and I enjoyed it. The breakfast each morning had a selection of juices, tea, coffee, cereals and a cooked breakfast. The staff were friendly and helpful. I would recommend to anyone who wants a nice retreat to the country, whether it be family or friends. The only bad things I would have to say is no mobile reception and the WIFI took it's time to connect. However I didn't find this too much a problem as being in the Combe meant i had an enjoyable walk which I would have happily done more than once.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Wakefield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 July 2014

The hotel itself is very nice, in a nice quiet place,the staff is friend but the food is expensive and the portions small!for food try the pub down the road!nice food and normal prices.no mobile reception!

Bolton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 July 2014

The hotel is a very nice calm and quiet place, a good place to get away from everyday life. Decor was tastful, the room was a nice size with a very comfortabe bed and a huge shower in the bathroom although I did nearly burn myself on the exposed hot pipework.

The TV was a little unfortunately placed and a bit small (we weren't too bothered by this although the tv signal was poor as was the internet signal and mobile reception but as this was an area of outstanding natural beauty it wasn't a problem).

The staff seemed a little casual initially however the service was excellent, the food was also excellent although I though the english breakfast was a little small however there was a wide selection of cereals and fruit juice on offer.

Included in our stay were a spa treatment each in the treatment room on site, we had an indian head massage and a neck back and shoulder massage, the masseuse was knowledgeable and professional and made it an enjoyable experience

All in all a nice family friendly place to get away for a couple of days in a beautiful part of the country, We would definitely stay again.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank alextaylor3856
Also consider these accommodations in or near Holford
Castle of Comfort Country House
The Mount Somerset Hotel
Apple Tree Hotel
Apple Tree Hotel
#1 of 1 in Keenthorne

Been to Combe House Hotel? Share your experiences!