Glen Lodge
US$88
Dunkery Beacon Hotel(Wootton Courtenay)
US$113
Travelocity
  • Restaurant
Marston Lodge Hotel(Minehead)
TripAdvisor
All reviewshot tubboot roomapple loftbristol channelwelsh coastdark skieswide choice for breakfasttotal relaxationamerican pancakeswoodland roomelevated positionenjoy your stayfabulous locationpeace and tranquilitybeautiful surroundingsbeautiful country houselarge room
Reviewed 9 March 2013

Everything said by previous guests is true. The wood burner stoves really added to the coziness of our stay. The breakfasts and afternoon tea were a real treat beautifully cooked and presented. A brilliant area to stay if you enjoy the countryside with many walks directly from Glen Lodge.

Room Tip: Coleridge is a lovely large room with a great view down the combe towards the sea, mist permitting!
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 February 2013

David and Meryl couldn't have been more welcoming. As soon as we arrived we were offered tea and homemade cakes!!! That night David took us up to the top of the hill to go stargazing. Simply wonderful!!! Our room, Coleridge, was huge and with a stunning view down the combe to Porlock Bay. The bed was as comfy as a cloud and we loved the wide choice at breakfast. Smocked haddock, anybody?
This is a delightful guest house with hosts that are equally delightful. David is full of local knowledge about the best walks and Meryl's cooking made us feel happy. Glenn Lodge is a short walk from the centre of Porlock and David recommended a good pub to eat in. The dark skies round here are awesome. Bring the binoculars!!!!

Room Tip: The rooms at the front have the view.
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 February 2013

I'm writing this while looking out of the large bay window in the 'Foxglove' room at the top of the lodge looking down the combe across a low fog bank that cloaks the Bristol Channel as far as the Welsh coast. There is a long and interesting history to the Lodge, but after just a few days in the company of David and Meryl and the other guests, you get a feel for what it was like here in its heyday. There is something about it that says 'relax'; at the end of the walking day you can look forward to great food lovingly prepared by Meryl, great conversation, and deep enveloping sofas. In winter, the fires in the library and front parlour create a cosy and welcoming feel. Meryl has over 250 cookbooks and reads them like novels; her daily 4 o'clock cakes are sublime and the evening meals are truly mouthwatering. American breakfasts are a speciality. Nothing is missed, everything you could want for a perfect weekend or extended break is here. Now I wonder what's for dinner tonight?

Room Tip: Rooms at the top of the house are accessed by a steepnarrow staircase
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 November 2012

I have stayed at Glen Lodge several times and my partner and I love it! The grounds are totally gorgeous, set at the top of a valley that overlooks Porlock, right down to the sea and on a clear day you can see Wales. That view you can see from most rooms and when you wake up in the morning, makes the most perfect view. My partner and I then go for an early run down to Porlock Weir through gorgeous fields with sheep and horses in the fields. When we get back, Meryl the owner will make breakfast which is totally divine. Full English, pancakes or pretty much anything else that you want. Fresh muffins and homemade granola are also delicious options.

I'd then recommend going for a long walk, and David can lend you a map and recommend a walk that suits your fitness and what you want to see when walking. After the walk relax by a log fire and read your book or have a snooze to recover from the day's exertions - total relaxation!

Meryl can cook dinner, which I'd highly recommend but if you fancy going out for one of the nights you're there then the Colbone Inn is fantastic too.

The rooms are cosy, so very clean and have a country boutique design to them which is just what you want on a country break. Meryl also places freshly baked cookies in a jar in your room - what a welcome!

I would highly recommend Glen Lodge to stay at and there is also lots to do in the local area!

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 October 2012

We stayed here for one night after our wedding to chill out. The place was perfect. Beautiful setting with amazing views, house and rooms were spacious and comfortable and the hosts really made you feel welcome.
The food was incredible, if you stay here have the evening meal! Home cooked with garden produce. The breakfast in the morning was amazing, needed a bigger stomach to eat everything.
The hosts also saved me from months of misery from my wife, I misplaced my wedding ring but luckily they found it and posted it to me. We will definitley be staying here again.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple