“Lovely setting,restaurant with rooms”

The Culbone Stables Inn
Ranked #10 of 18 Porlock B&B and Inns
Oxford, United Kingdom
“Lovely setting,restaurant with rooms”
Reviewed 24 April 2014

Just had view nights stay here with dog restaurant very popular so book! Rooms good size we had rooms 2 and 4 Room 2 had access to private entrance which was brilliant for dog especially as he was poorly whilst we were away and the chef was brilliant cooking him rice to eat as he would not touch anything else for a few days.He was welcome everywhere in the building the staff could not have done anymore for us.Bathrooms spotless.If wanting to be picky window frames could have done with a bit of a wipe over and room 2 was noisy whilst we were there but I think that was unusual some classic car rally was on and they decided to drive through the night passed our room...daughter in room 4 however heard nothing so maybe request that room and her views were better too!
All in all we had a lovely stay

Room Tip: room 2 was very noisy at night but I think this is unusual some classic cars rally seemed to be on o...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 April 2014

This is a reasonable restaurant with rooms in a nice location, but it could be so much more with a bit of attention to detail.

My stay started badly when I phoned the day before to check my online room reservation, only to be told that the restaurant was full and I hadn't been saved a table - that should be routine for overnight guests, especially since the business advertises itself as a restaurant that people stay over at, rather than a B&B that serves a bit of food. If nothing else, I would have expected a call checking whether I wanted to eat there when it started getting full. Anyway, while I was still hanging on the phone, the managers had a rather unprofessional conversation about squeezing "her" in on a late sitting, which didn't exactly make me feel special!

When I finally got to it, dinner itself was disappointing: my £18.50 locally-produced steak should have been beautifully tender but was actually chewy (although the sauce was delicious!). I also had a sandwich to keep me going in the afternoon which was tasty but again missed the gourmet mark - it came on a hamburger bun rather than freshly baked bread. Breakfast the next day was lovely, but there was no fresh fruit on offer. All in all, fine but not up to the 'foodie' standard of a good-quality restaurant.

As for the room, it was large, pretty, clean and comfortable, but needed freshening up and thorough maintenance. Again, the 'foodie' touches were missing - no handmade cookies and cafetiere, just cellophane-wrapped biscuits and Nescafe. The clock needed new batteries, the exterior woodwork needed a spot of Cuprinol and the bathroom curtains needed to be longer to protect my modesty from passers by. My dog was made very welcome by the staff, but there was no water bowl or biscuits to greet her in the room.

In summary, The Culborne's young managers are welcoming and friendly, and are running a popular business, but it would take only a bit more maturity and a few extra touches to turn this good stay into a special stay.

Room Tip: Room one is a premium double and has doors which open out onto it's own patio (complete with pic...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
Porlock, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 April 2014

Living locally, we're always on the lookout for good restaurants in the area, and many have come and gone, but the Culbone has started well and steadily improved. Unlike the (very few) poor reviews that the inn has received, we've always found that the staff listen to customer opinions (as can be seen from the comments on room 4 on the website - and the consequent reduction in pricing). Their PIPS club is excellent (free membership and many bonus events), the food is always good and the menus change constantly rather than putting up the same dishes week in, week out. We've been at least once a month for the past six months - to their steak nights, to the meal-and-a-movie deals, just with friends and yesterday we celebrated our 35th wedding anniversary with them (thanks for the free fizz Mark and Josh, thanks for the room deal Becky) - a really lovely evening out (candle-lit - other poor reviewer please note), unhurried, comfortable room, nice wine and our dog was able to come with us as well. What more could they have offered us ? Well, nothing, really. Thanks again.

Room Tip: The comments on the website are honest, and should enable anyone to select in their price bracket. T...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Romsey, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 March 2014

Found 'The Culbone' on the internet booked for 2 nights our first visit. Great location, great welcome on arrival, we had planned to eat out but arrived on their 'French cuisine evening' fabulous food and service, we ate here again the following night 'Steak night' excellent glad we didn't go anywhere else.
The room was clean, comfortable and well equipped.
Thank you trip advisor for guiding us to this Inn, there is no doubt the next time we are in the location we will stay here without looking anywhere else.
The walks from here to both Lynmouth and Porlock are stunning and well worth the effort.
You wont regret staying here, a great find.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Graham W
Oxford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 March 2014

We stayed for 2 nights at The Culbone. I had expected from the website for it to be a bespoke 'pub with rooms' & it wasn't quite this, but lovely nonetheless.

The staff & owners were lovely & helpful. Chatty & interested & happy to recommend local things to do.

We had a lovely meal on our first night-scallops & baked brie starters, venison & ale pie & salted bream for our mains. Tasty & high quality. The restaurant is warm & cosy with lovely pictures on tye wall which we particularly admired. They had a good selection of wines & ales.

Our room was good for a typical 3* B& B, but nothing more than this. Somehow, I had expected more and was a little disappointed. There were a few minor repairs which had not been attended to & some of the fixtures & fittings were of fairly low quality. Don't get me wrong, I have NO complaints, and The Culbone is a perfectly good B&B that I would certainly stay in again, but just not quite what I had in mind when I booked it.

Breakfast was also a little disappointing given the beautiful and varied selection of the evening meal. I feel I'm being picky as it was all tasty & my husband particularly enjoyed his kippers. Also, I believe there are only 5 rooms, so I can't expect there to be a massive buffet laid on, but somehow, I expected a little more.

Overall, great food, OK B&B- we will be back tho'

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Jen7ify
Somerset
Reviewed 4 March 2014

We dined at the Culbone for Sunday lunch, the staff were welcoming. We had children with us and they had a high chair and baby changing available even though it is more of a gastro pub.
The clientele were mostly adults so maybe not the best place with lively children. The food was faultless.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Minehead, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 February 2014

Eight of us went to the Culbone on sunday for a birthday lunch.We all had a great meal,served by staff that made you feel special and most welcome .The highest pub on Exmoor sure is a high quality place to dine.What we call a go back to place

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
Mark S, Owner at The Culbone Stables Inn, responded to this review, 14 February 2014
Thank you for your lovely feedback. The team enjoyed meeting you all and are happy that you chose to spend a special family lunch with us.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Porlock
The Luttrell Arms
#11 of 18 in Porlock
The Cafe - Porlock Weir
The Cafe - Porlock Weir
#1 of 3 in Porlock Weir

Been to The Culbone Stables Inn? Share your experiences!