“Superb”

Castle Hotel Restaurant
Ranked #13 of 20 Restaurants in Porlock
“Superb”
Reviewed 10 July 2012

Excellent wine. Fantastic service. Delicious food. Was a very memorable and enjoyable meal. The staff go out of their way to make you feel welcome. The food was the best I have had in a long time. Cannot recommend enough.

Brixham, United Kingdom
“YET ANOTHER MARTIN MILLER HAVEN”
Reviewed 6 July 2012

Recently purchased by the Martin Miller Hotel group and undergone a ' Millerisation ' , this former Public House is now a 'Gastro Pub' with rooms and I do have to say that the new style is a welcome new attraction to his famous town on the North Coast of Somerset.

I do recommend this very relaxing Bistro and do watch out for more additional attractions under development .

• Visited July 2012
London
“Currently closed, thankfully, about to be transformed”
Reviewed 8 March 2012

The Castle is closed and under new ownership. Rumour has it a wine bar and hotel will emerge. I'll be back to find out when it does!

• Visited March 2012
Westbury, Wiltshire. U K
“Dire - Would never go near the place again!”
Reviewed 6 February 2011

Did not stay here (fortunately) but went for Sunday lunch today with a group of friends, whilst on a weekend away near Porlock. The proprietors were unfriendly and unwelcoming right from the minute they came to take our lunch order. When the food arrived and was placed on the table, one of the owners managed to splash me with hot fat from a dish of roast vegetables staining the front of my cream top and more seriously burning my face and neck. He provided absolutely no first aid action to remedy this and just carried on serving the dinner seeming totally oblivious to the fact that I was in pain. I spent 10 minutes in the Ladies toilet sluicing myself with cold water to prevent any burn blisters forming and then one of my friends had to request some ice wrapped in a cloth so that I could continue to soothe the burning sensation. After some time the female proprietor offered me a half used pot of nappy rash Sudocrem and suggested I should put this on the burns. Apart from the obvious hygiene issues of offering a customer a used pot of nappy cream to apply to my face/neck, she obviously had no knowledge of the prompt and correct first aid treatment for burns. I was both angry and upset and needless to say did not enjoy my meal one bit. Before leaving I took the proprietors to one side, away from other customers at the bar and spoke to them in quiet disbelief about their actions, or rather, lack of them. It was painfully obvious that they have never received any training in customer service or first aid procedures. Accidents do happen, but what is important is that prompt action is taken to remedy the situation. They were totally unable to acknowledge or accept that a customer injured by their actions on their premises should have been dealt with in a much more appropriate and caring manner.
Aside from that, 2 of our party who do not eat red meat, chose the chicken roast dinner, only to find that it had beef & lamb gravy sloshed all over it. The female proprietor's solution to this was that she could wash it off for them! Would I recommend this place to anyone else......... NEVER!!

mid wales
“this is for the food and drink only”
Reviewed 3 September 2009

the drink was ok but they soon ran out of beer and we found the prices dear;the food was another matter,no one seemed to know what they were doing i expected basil faulty to appear at a moments notice. We ordered a scampi and mine was plaice it arrived after 3 minutes uncooked and frozen in the middle so i sent it back.It was but a moment later a middleaged lady asked why i had sent it back ,i told her it was un cooked and could i have another one prepared .Her response was it would be the same again and did i want to order something else i said no and my partner was left in a hurt fashion feeling guilty because i had nothing to eat.I paid for my wifes meal but not mine and reported them to the council who will hopefuly have a word i would never go here again and they do not deserve my custom.The bed and breakfast i can not say as i did not stay a night here.