“Westcountry Wanderings”

The Home Cook Cafe
Ranked #4 of 8 Coffee & Tea in Porlock
Cuisines: Cafe, British
Good for: Child-friendly, Kids
Dining options: Breakfast, Brunch, Lunch, Highchairs Available, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Taunton, United Kingdom
“Westcountry Wanderings”
Reviewed 5 September 2013

Conveniently situated on the main street opposite to the car park we had been here before for coffee. This time we went back for a sandwich lunch. While my other half parked the car I ordered two coffees and asked for a lunch menu. It was quite busy but with 3 tables vacant. I made to go over to the one side where there was plenty of room and no indication that it might be reserved or anything but I was loudly informed "there is a table here" (table for two right in front of the counter facing the traffic through an open door) " or one over there available" (indicating a small table directly adjoining one with two people and two dogs in residence).No "if you don't mind" or "please could you".When he arrived my other half being tall and large asked me why we were crammed in by the counter. We did not stay for lunch. The table I had originally wanted was still vacant when we left. Obviously in good class restaurants one expects to be shown a table but we have never before been in a snack bar where we could not choose where we sat!!

• Visited August 2013

London, United Kingdom
“Brillant!”
Reviewed 2 September 2013

I cannot write enough about this cafe, truely great. Our family of four had lunch here last Wed. The menu is delicious, talk about been spoilt for choice, I found it hard to make a choice. I have never tasted anything so good as the cheese and aspargus roulade. It is quite unsual for all four of us to have a totally satisfactory meal out, but this was definately exceptional. The icing on the cake for me was the cheeriness of the staff, terrific. Thank you

• Visited August 2013
London
“Nice cake but lacking in range”
Reviewed 29 August 2013

Good stop for cake but as cafes go it lacks in range. The food is good but the service can be patchy when just one staff - been here several times. Great for tea and cake!

Visited August 2013
Bath UK
“Gorgeous home made food”
Reviewed 15 April 2013

What a fantastic place - nothing too much trouble for the lovely lady that served us. So chatty, happy and helpful. Lovely homey atmosphere and bright and cheerful. Many home made cakes on display. We had the tomato and basil soup which was best ever had. I had an apple crumble and custard. What lovely big portions I had a job to eat all my crumble but it was so yummy. Loads of custard in a separate jug which is nice. Huge pot of tea for the two of us and offer of more water. Could not fault anything. And all this for just £10 - absolutely brilliant. Plus it's right opposite the car park as you enter Porlock from Minehead. Will definitely visit again.

• Visited April 2013
Cambridge, United Kingdom
“Simple food done well”
Reviewed 14 April 2013

A simple looking cafe with a simple menu, but the food is done very well. we had fishcakes, which were excellent. My Wife had the Apricot and almond tart, which she loved. They had a large selection of cakes, which looked yummy and home made. They do not take cards however, a cash point is next door. Staff are very friendly.

1 Thank KevinMcIntyre