“big helpings”

Dining options: Outdoor Seating
Oxford, United Kingdom
“big helpings”
Reviewed 24 April 2014

sat outside as weather was sunny and had dog with us.As far as I could tell they did not accept dogs which was not a problem but there are plenty of restaurants that do in Porlock big helpings of food and price not bad either

Visited April 2014
1 Thank CTRavel2014

Plymouth
“Possibly my worst experience in a tea room”
Reviewed 12 April 2014

I visited the delightful village of Porlock with my wife and 5 year old daughter and for lunch decided to try The Olde Chapel.

On entering the establishment we were slightly concerned that it was totally empty, especially as it was 12.30 in the Easter holidays. The owner pointed us to a corner of the room to sit which we soon realised was so we were out of the way.

Whilst looking at the menu our daughter took some sugar sachets from the pot in the middle of the table and lined them up in a pattern. The owner came over and said 'I'm not being funny but people need to use these later'. We pointed out they hadn't been opened to which he said 'they've been played with'. He then took the menu out of my wife's hand and walked off. We had no option but to leave.

My daughter was quite upset with what happened and blamed herself.

We went to Porlock Weir and had a fantastic lunch at the Millers which restored our faith in Porlock.

On speaking to local people it would appear the owner of The Olde Chapel is renowned for being rude and 'hating' children and that nobody local ever eats there.

Avoid at all costs unless you like being insulted and to pay for the privilege.

Visited April 2014
12 Thank James T
London, United Kingdom
“Rude male staff member”
Reviewed 9 February 2014

Male staff member rude to my child, which resulted in a confrontation, which will not go into on here! He suggested I should "lock my kids away". Little did he know we were coming in for lunch. Not after that I certainly was not!!!! Surprised this pub has any customers.....

• Visited May 2013
12 Thank Clive S
Bristol, United Kingdom
“Last visit I will be making”
Reviewed 15 January 2014

We visited in November and were very off put by the what I can only describe as rude and abrupt service. The food was nothing to rave about and the atmosphere left us feeling cold. I for one will not be spending my custom at this poor and unfriendly business again. I don't like to be so blunt but unfortunately I feel this is deserved.

• Visited November 2013
8 Thank Reb T
Co Down
“Warm and friendly”
Reviewed 21 November 2013

We were passing on a very cold afternoon and got a friendly welcome. Ordered tea and one piece of cake to share and they gave us both a piece of very good raspberry cake. Sat in window which was very pleasant and real fire was very warm. Quirky rock and roll music. Overall very good.

• Visited November 2013