“Nice food in very clean comfortable surroundings.”

The Olde Chapel Restaurant
Ranked #16 of 20 Restaurants in Porlock
Price range: US$5 - US$12
Dining options: Outdoor Seating
Dining options: Outdoor Seating
Reviewed 7 August 2014

My wife and I have eaten in The Olde Chapel many times over the years and have always found the service and surroundings excellent.
The food is very good and comes in very large portions. Last time I was in there I had the steak and kidney pudding, which was delicious. The pudding was full of meat and accompanied with loads of fresh vegetables, which I washed down with a pint of Butcombe Gold.
Reading some of the other reviews by people with children who were turned away, I can only assume it's because their children haven't yet learned how to behave in an eating establishment.
Unfortunately whilst in the area, there were a few occasions when we sat down to eat and found the peace ruined by a family with children who had no idea how to behave in a restaurant. Sad but parents seem to be completely blind to their offspring's bad conduct and expect everyone else to tolerate it.
So if you want a good filling meal in nice surrounds, give the Chapel a go.

3  Thank m_horton2

Reviewed 20 July 2014 via mobile

My son and I stopped for a sandwich and we were both tempted by the home made baguettes with a choice of fillings. The specials were bacon or sausage. I asked for one of the regular menu fillings, not available. In true Monty Python style I went through most of the other regulars, and discovered that actually the only available fillings were the specials. The sausages were basic quality, which was a shame given that there was a butchers in the village. Overall the service was adequate and fortunately my son did nothing but sit so there was no negative attention. Although it was a very average experience, I wouldn't return as the atmosphere, choice and overall service was below.

2  Thank fabmum_11
Reviewed 9 July 2014

We went into The Chapel thinking well this is quiet, then we met the guy who runs it. He was friendly and welcoming playing great music for people of our age. The food was brilliant, I had the belly pork and it was probably the best I've tasted. I would recommend this restaurant to anyone.

2  Thank GoliathWiltshire
Reviewed 7 July 2014

we enjoyed the excellent food and very fair value in this unique building - staff were great. Not the first time we had visited and we will certainly be back to enjoy the experience again. In comparison with the other restaurants in Porlock this was the most welcoming and enjoyable

1  Thank kisscycles
Reviewed 23 May 2014

I am local to Porlock and have had lunch at The Olde Chapel many times, Each has been a very pleasant experience
with good value meals and/or snacks. I also had a shop in Porlock for many years and I have to say I am very disappointed with the seemingly, gradual decline in many peoples' manners and behaviour! The dear, sweet and considerate folk, who were an absolute joy to serve, must all be holidaying abroad now!! If you are pleasant and well behaved, then I know that Ian and Jenny will treat you to excellent food and pleasant, nothing is too much trouble, service. It is the easiest thing in the world to reap what you sow! (either way)!!!

4  Thank aladythatlunches2014