“A true Gastro Pub”

The Kingsdon Inn
Ranked #1 of 22 Restaurants in Somerton
Price range: US$9 - US$31
Cuisines: Bar, British, Pub, Gastropub
Good for: Business meetings, Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine, Kids, Child-friendly, Romantic, Groups
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Lunch, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Validated Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Beautiful thatched pub in the picturesque English village of KingsdonRenown for excellent food and friendly, professional service.The pub is managed by Adam and Cinzia , who have worked in and run some of the UK's most highly respected restaurants and hotels. Expect an imaginative and seasonal menu made with the very best of local produce- from locally sourced free-range eggs to asparagus grown within a 2 mile radius.Every dish, from ice creams and sorbets to breads and pasta are made on site under the care and expertise of Michelin star trained chef-patron, Adam Cain.Our Italian manageress, Cinzia, brings her characterful warmth and expertise to the front of house where you will be greeted with a versatile wine list and a nice selection of local ales to accompany your food. May your road to the Kingsdon Inn be one of peace.
Athens, Georgia
“A true Gastro Pub”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 April 2014

I have been coming here for 8 years and have seen changes of management and bar staff. This is a quintessential English country Inn. The food now is probably as good as it has ever been. We had pork belly - it was delicious and the presentation was as done as well as any top restaurant.

The lady behind the bar can sometimes be quite officious but I am sure she only has the best interests of her guests and staff in mind.

This is a restaurant where the chef understands that high quality food does not mean copious quantities - portion size was just right.

1 Thank Mike L

Poole, United Kingdom
“Excellent”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 April 2014

Visited with a friend and had large starters of goats cheese ravioli and ham hock followed by sticky toffee pudding, best food ever, marvellous service couldn't fault the food or service, stunning taste sensation, presentation brilliant, service was faultless. Don't hesitate to eat here, only wished I lived closer!

Somerset
“Outstanding pub, superb food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 April 2014

Popped-in for lunch and was very pleasantly surprised. Really excellent & interesting menu, local ales, incredibly friendly staff in short a great find.

Although only lunch we ordered olives with our drinks whilst we looked at the menu, Sue, my wife, had a starter off the main menu, whilst I opted for the steak baguette served hot with melted blue cheese and a small ramekin dish of slim French Fries. It really was excellent and a difficult pub to leave, tempted to order a full-bodied red and settle-in. Sadly an optician’s appointment meant otherwise.

I have MS and there were several steps, some quite deep. I can manage with my sticks, but in a wheelchair one would struggle – especially as the toilets are outside the pub and up more steps. That aside, highly recommended and we will return.

Pricewise, perhaps slightly more expensive than some ‘Somerset’ pubs – our bill was £30, but the food really was excellent and the local beer well kept, bright and clear.

London, United Kingdom
“Excellent food; friendly efficient service; great value for money”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 March 2014

Booked table for Mother's day at late notice. Woman on phone very helpful and fitted us in for noon sitting. So glad she did. From the moment we arrived there was a warm, friendly welcome and we were sat in a lovely light room. Plenty of space around the table but a bustling vibrant atmosphere. Lots of families with children who seemed to be having a good time.

The food was very good quality with some inventive touches thrown in. The Roquefort cheese souffle was particularly good. My only quibble would be more custard with the crumble! The waitress was attentive, helpful and efficient. Some nice beers available and what looked like a good choice of wines, though we were not drinking.

The pub is in a lovely setting and has a nice garden area and there is plenty of parking. Best bit of all was the value for money: £20 a head for three courses for this quality of food is exceptional.

Well done and thank you.

• Visited March 2014
“Poor experience today”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 March 2014

I have been to this Pub many times in the last six months and cannot fault it (until today). Working from home today I thought I would treat my wife to Lunch there. I ordered Sirloin Steak (£16.95) and asked for it Medium Rare. When it arrived a) It was not very big and b) It was fatty and gristly and a bit tough (more Medium than Medium-Rare). The Waiter (who was very nice I should say), asked me if everything was Ok and I told him that the Steak was not very good. Off he went to the Kitchen and that was the last I heard from him until I went to settle my Bill. Nothing had been deducted from the Bill (or mentioned) and so I asked him if there was any feedback from the Kitchen. He replied that yes, the Chef had said that that's what Sirloin Steak was like, i.e..Fatty. I said that I had in fact eaten a Sirloin before and that particular Steak was not good. I was not really looking for it to be knocked off of my Bill, but rather some acknowledgment that I did not enjoy it or think it was up to standard. As a Customer, I find it a little patronising to be told that effectively I don't really know what a decent Steak should taste/look like. I have eaten at El Bulli in the past and The Fat Duck on more than one occasion so I do know my food. Anyway, small rant over, just a disappointing experience.

• Visited March 2014