“Wonderful lunch”

Market Bar and Bistro
Price range: US$5 - US$26
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Market bar & Bistro in Somerton will be re- opening from 1st August 2013 with brand new owners Description A surprise awaits you as you step in to this 16th Century market house which is now The Market Bar & Bistro. We are a contemporary modern bistro with a cosy, informal atmosphere in the center of historic Somerton. Ideally suited for lunchtime and evening diners, The Market Bar is the perfect meeting place for drinks or enjoying fine dining in stylish surroundings with great atmosphere. Our food is locally sourced and Homemade. Monday to Friday Lunchtimes we have a 2 course menu for £9.95 From 12pm till 2pm, we also have a separated Specials board at lunchtimes and evenings. Our opening hours are Monday to Sunday lunchtimes food is served from 12pm till 2pm and Monday to Saturday evenings food served from 6.30Pm till 9.00Pm, Closed Sunday Evening Fiona, Duncan & Avril have been in the business for many years and look forward to seeing old and new faces for our next adventure.
Reviewed 18 April 2014

We popped in for a light lunch but were tempted by the two course set menu . Very good food and great service , I was surprised that there were so few customers . We sat opposite the market cross a very old building and a pleasure to view whilst enjoying such hgood food . We hope to return

1  Thank Ahappytraveller101

Reviewed 11 March 2014

The Market Bar suffered badly under previus management but we have been several times recently and had a good experience each time. The menu is extensive enough, the food good and the service pleasantly efficient.

1  Thank Malgard
Reviewed 15 February 2014

I have used Trip Advisor many times but only to check our reviews of potential places to eat out, but after our experience I felt compelled to write my first review.

After a few 3rd party recommendations we decided to return here recently after a poor eating experience a couple of years back when under different ownership.

The evening started well with friendly service but then soon after it steadily declined. After ordering our food we were sat in a side room that can only be described as being similar to your "grans lounge" where we were seated in a very drafty window seat (albeit a stormy evening). Following a request to move we were put next to the extremely drafty door in the very same room!! I'm not sure why we weren't sat with the other diners in the main restaurant - it wasn't full so perhaps our faces didn't fit!!

This table was next to the service door which spent most of the evening open where we were subjected to plate scraping, washing up, staff discussions and even more draft, brrrrrr!
We did complain to our waitress and my wife put her coat on to keep warm, but our request fell on deaf ears.

Food wise our starters were okay but the main course came out with the wrong sides leaving our steaks and fries to go cold whilst waiting for them to rectify the mistake. As another reviewer noted - the pepper sauce was oddly wrong (nothing like I had ever tasted before!) and not a mushroom, tomato, onion ring or mustard in sight, least of all a steak knife !!

Due to hunger we did battle through the food but had to get up from the table twice for drinks to wash it down, very poor service in my view.

We expected the experience to be vastly better than the one we had encountered and would not recommend or return, a shame as The Market House could be fabulous if only they considered offering a high quality customer experience to match their prices!

2  Thank H2499MNmarkh
Reviewed 26 January 2014 via mobile

friendly staff, good atmosphere, delicious food. even opened kitchen early for us. highly recommended. plus free bread.

1  Thank stephhill111
Reviewed 10 November 2013

We went to the Market Bar for a Sunday lunch, some of us opting for a traditional roast and others (myself included) not. I had whitebait to start and butternut squash and spinach lasagne as my main. I don't usually feel tempted by a veggie main course and was worried that the lasagne might be a bit of a risk on a Sunday if they were mainly geared towards roasts. I needn't have worried as it was fantastic, as were the whitebait.
Around the table I'd say that generally people were pretty happy and if anything the roast potatoes seemed not quite up to scratch but I can't comment personally as I didn't have them.
The place was pretty busy and the reason I'm not giving the Market Bar an 'Excellent' is that the service was a bit slow and for a busy Sunday they really needed an extra pair of hands on the bar. We'll go back again.

1  Thank guernseygirl357