“Warm and cosy on a winter night”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Somerton
The Lynch Country House
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Somerton
Reviewed 9 February 2013

I stopped off here with friends on our way to a holiday in Cornwall and as it was snowy, we were pleased not to have to make the journey in one day, although roads were fine. Well located close to A303 and also close to the outlet village at Street, which was part of the reason we decided to stop here! It enabled us to combine shopping with travelling, always a nice way to break up a long journey.

I was in a room called Alderley which is a small double on the top floor. As a single traveller I was looking for the cheapest option and the room was cute but I did spend most of the time I was in the room in a stooped position, as the eaves make the headroom very tight! For one night it was fine but I think I might have developed a permanent stoop after a while if I had stayed longer. The four friends I was travelling with were all located in the coach house and given that they were very quiet that night, I didn't really understand why they didn't put me in the empty room next to them - after all changing one double bed is much similar to another and I would have been able to stand up when getting in and out of bed then!! Apart from the lack of headroom, room well well equipped and warm and I slept well, so no complaints about that.
An easy five minute walk into the town where there is a choice of pubs to eat at. We chose the Unicorn and enjoyed a couple of bottles of nice Sauvignon Blanc and some good pub grub. Bar lady was very friendly and cheery. Breakfast at The Lynch in the morning was good - no problems there. Plenty of parking space, nice grounds, easy to find - lots of things going for it. I would stay there again.

Room Tip: The website does give you an impression of the rooms but it doesn't really mention that the room...
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled solo

Reviewed 29 January 2013

The house is stunning and obviously very well kept. The room we stayed in was fantastic, with an amazing bed Gorgeous breakfast and a lovely warm and welcome service from Mike and Chris. It is definitely on the radar for the next time we are going to be in the area.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 December 2012

We had one of the rooms in the eaves being a relative shorty it was no problem but might feel a little claustrophobic if you are fairly tall. I could'nt really pick fault with anything everything was as good or better than I would expect for the price we paid. The only disappointment was to our astonishment outside our room were a few steps up to an astronomical observatory complete with telescope which I did not know how to operate and probably should'nt have been toutching anyway after a couple of ciders in the White Hart. We only stopped one night but it would be nice to stop a little longer if we are in the area again

Room Tip: Avoid the attic rooms if you are fairly tall
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 1 November 2012

The rain was pouring down, veritably hammering off of the steeply gabled roof of the Lynch Country House Hotel during our visit. It didn't matter one bit. We stayed in the Goldington Room, able to enjoy the piping hot water in its on-suite whilst watching the clouds skud silently by. The silence was like a warm blanket wrapped around us - what a tonic for our everyday lives. I teach so peace and solitude are rare luxuries for me, doubly so with children at home too. Bless them. The Lynch Country House Hotel is, well, a large Georgian country house set in its own modest leafy grounds and no more than 50 yards from one of the roads that runs into Somerton. The main house is very tall and unusually is topped with a period glass observation deck and telescope for surveying the world around the house. The windows were not easy to see through (my wife shuddered at the thought of having to clean them, given how high we were).

As well as the main house, there are some rooms in an adjoining building. Goldington is the largest on offer. We were looking to treat ourselves and so although the room was pricy I'd say it was well worth the money.

The hosts, who live on site and manage the property for the jazz-loving owner, were wonderful - warm, helpful and attentive. Although the catering extends only to breakfast, the breakfast was a spectacular combination of fruit and something cooked to order. I can vouch for Mike's mushrooms with brown toast - not on the menu but created on request and delicious. The restaurant is lined with pictures from the jazz and swing era, a piano in the corner and musical memorabilia all around. It must be a great place to enjoy music but this is the owner's private occupation, rather than part of the hotel experience. My wife was itching to play the piano but didn't summon up the courage to ask if she could.

Somerton is a small Somerset town set on a hill at the edge the levels. Busy it is not. At least, it wasn't at the end of October when we visited but I rather imagine it is a quiet place even in high season, given the types of shop in the town (a couple of antique places, a chippy, a stationers and an unusual non-chain supermarket). We had an evening meal at the Globe pub. It was what I'd call plain honest food and reasonably priced for that. We heard from other guests that wonderful food was on offer in nearby Babcary as long as a table was booked in advance.

Room Tip: The website has images of the rooms on offer. These were a fair reflection of what we found when we...
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank 129Lee
Reviewed 28 September 2012

Pretty much all you read is true - a beautiful Grade II house set in superb gardens and run with much loving care. The whole ambiance is welcoming and attention to detail exemplary. The owner, Roy, is a celebrated clarinetist and his music is reflected in the decor of the bright and airy Breakfast Room which also boasts an extremely good Bose sound system. As to breakfast, well this is how it used to be, folks. Your choice, cooked to perfection by the charming Barbara - no buffets of sad looking food here. Highly recommended.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 September 2012

Booked for one night as attending family funeral. We arrived late but were made so welcome, our room was in the Coach House and was of a high standard. Bed was comfortable, and large en-suite shower room. Lovely bath towels and robes and plentiful refreshments. Loved the house and grounds, so full of character and charm. Breakfast was top class and plentiful. Will certainly book again in happier circumstances as would love to visit more of the town and local area.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 September 2012

We recently stayed at Lynch country house whilst passing through the town on a cycling holiday. Our bikes were safely stored for us and the rooms were light and pleasant and very clean. Breakfast was great and have no doubt in recommending this to anyone.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Somerton
Meare Manor
Devonshire Arms
#1 of 2 in Langport
Castle of Comfort Country House
Best Western Plus Swan Hotel

Been to The Lynch Country House? Share your experiences!